Xbox Live Arcade

Zero

I used to think like that but now I just fire up the laptop with a 360 pad, play them on 42" plasma and good audio setup, stretched to full screen and with a button for jump instead of "up". They still stand up, Turrican 2's music is outstanding after 20 yrs. Why wait for XBLA when you can DIY.

Ikaruga is the harder game of the two on all counts (1CC, chaining/scoring). RSG is a longer slog (especially in Saturn mode) but it's not especially complicated. Ikaruga is the deeper of the two and is definitely less accessible. If they've left the weapons save system in this port then there's no reason why anyone couldn't complete RSG in a fraction of the time it would take to complete Ikaruga.

XBLA has been really decent recently. It's definitely made the 360 the most desirable console this gen. It's still very much under-utilised though given the potential there for revamping classics. There are still lots of holes in the library. IMO Microsoft should create a small studio dedicated to revamping classics for the service. It's nice that they approached Treasure to remake RSG though, even going as far as publishing it. Someone at Microsoft must be into shmups.

What we're missing is Konami shmup compilations. Gradius and Salamander deluxe packs for starters. Not cost-efficient to put out on disc, bang them on XBLA perfectly emulated. Of course I was holding out the hope that Game Room would cater to this particular need :hmm:

Actually I think there is a disc market. The PSP compilations sold well enough in Japan but never got tested outside Japan.

The Gradius PSP pack was released worldwide. I agree that Konami should get all those PSP shmup packs onto Live/PSN though. Gradius/Gradius II/Gaiden at least deserve an outing.

While I appreciate Ikaruga, and I love watching superplay videos of it, I just don't find it very fun to play. It's too much of a memory test for me, seeing as there's a 'right' way to play it, and if I mess up I feel like I have to start from the beginning or it annoys me. So in a way, those superplay videos have kind of destroyed it for me.

Ikaruga isn't worth playing on XBLA unless you have a decent stick. You're just making a really hard game ten times harder than it actually is (even using the later 360 pads which have better dpads than the earlier models). There are no pads with good dpads on the 360.

The new silver/grey pad is excellent.

What bugs me about Ika is swapping colours. Are you instantly invulnerable as soon as you swap, or after the animation? I know its been "solved" now but i refuse to believe you can work out the situations it puts you in on the fly. The level 3 spinning wheel boss sums up the game for me, it wants me to die, repeatedly, and wants my brain to hurt. Im sure schmup purists will tell me im wrong but it just gets way too much sometimes.

It's too much of a memory test for me, seeing as there's a 'right' way to play it,

I don't really see the game like that. One of the things that I love about Ikaruga is that you can gradually build up your chaining strategy, uncovering new layers of possibilities as your knowledge of the level increases. It is then about balancing risk with your own abilities - as your skills increase, you can gradually push more and more chains the more you play. Love it. Absolute masterpiece.

If you just watched a high score video and tried to emulate it, then yes, it's going to be nigh on impossible and very frustrating.

Never got close to finishing Ikaruga on 1cc. Got to the level 4 boss at about 10 million. Really looking forward to RS as I've never played it.

The new silver/grey pad is excellent.

What bugs me about Ika is swapping colours. Are you instantly invulnerable as soon as you swap, or after the animation? I know its been "solved" now but i refuse to believe you can work out the situations it puts you in on the fly. The level 3 spinning wheel boss sums up the game for me, it wants me to die, repeatedly, and wants my brain to hurt. Im sure schmup purists will tell me im wrong but it just gets way too much sometimes.

You need to watch the section demos in the Conquest Mode in the GameCube version. Someone should capture them and put them onto youtube. They're absolutely invaluable for the beginner. They show you how to do each section of each stage, in a non-convoluted fashion (not the flashy stuff you see in the pro videos/top XBLA replays). Watching these simple demos can be the difference between utter frustration and utter addiction with the game. They'll show you methods you might never have thought of to make the stages easier, or even methods to compliment what you've already learnt. It's only after you have a basic appreciation for each section that you can start improvising.

Factor 5 went out of business a few years ago I think. No idea who holds the rights to Turrican.

A bit of Googling indicates that THQ owns the rights to ex-Rainbow Arts published titles. However, it seems that THQ aren't the exclusive rights holder due to the history of the series, so an XBLA/PSN release doesn't seem possible. Someone has been in touch with THQ as recently as January, offering to help out with contacting the original developers (whom some fans are in contact with) for any potential new development, and got this response (translated by Google from the original German page):

Dear Mr. Schmidt,

Thanks for your suggestion. As product development is planned by the American headquarters of THQ, we will forward your suggestion on occasion you.

Yours sincerely,

Christine Grüger

http://www.nemmelheim.de/turrican/files/thq.php

So it seems destined to never happen :(

Ive got the japanese gamecube version, would it be easy to navigate to them? I struggle on the tiny dpad but i'd like to watch them. I know its a good game, i think im just short of that breakthrough of getting it. I bet its selling a few more numbers in anticipation of RS too.

Micro Machines V3 would be the best thing on the 360 if they HDd it up and threw online multiplayer into it. Thinking about it there's not really any Kart Racing games at all on XBLA is there? I think the closest thing is probably the quite rubbish Mad Tracks.

V3 was awful. TT '96 was way better. Also, we've Yaris for karting "fun" - what more do you want?

I have an iMac. It's miles from the telly and UAE refuses to work despite having all the "stuff" I need.

Use UAE on your Wii? That's how I play SWOS and Cannon Fodder.

Ive got the japanese gamecube version, would it be easy to navigate to them? I struggle on the tiny dpad but i'd like to watch them. I know its a good game, i think im just short of that breakthrough of getting it. I bet its selling a few more numbers in anticipation of RS too.

I have the US version so I'm not 100% sure, but I think the JPN version is all in English anyway. Demo play for the current stage section is the 1st option in the list once you've selected a section. You might have to credit feed your way through the normal game first to open up each chapter in conquest mode. I used the excellent Hori pad on the GameCube version (wish there was a way to use it on the 360):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Gamecube-HORI-Controller-Control-Pad-SNES-Wii-/330570061010?pt=UK_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item4cf782d4d2

I have the US version so I'm not 100% sure, but I think the JPN version is all in English anyway. Demo play for the current stage section is the 1st option in the list once you've selected a section. You might have to credit feed your way through the normal game first to open up each chapter in conquest mode. I used the excellent Hori pad on the GameCube version:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Gamecube-HORI-Controller-Control-Pad-SNES-Wii-/330570061010?pt=UK_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item4cf782d4d2

I'll have a look, cheers, it is a game i'd like to get good at. I enjoyed the first stage yesterday when I played, but the 2nd one with the jets flying at you at the start...white and black bullets everywhere...it was all i could do to just survive.

Knew you were gona post that controller :)

Use UAE on your Wii? That's how I play SWOS and Cannon Fodder.

Sadly I haven't got one - I'd like to play SM Galaxy but there's little else that grabs me for it, so I only have a 360. Does UAE work well?

Its great on a modded xbox too if you have one. Xport UAE.

I had thought about this, but if the Wii can run UAE I could consider that instead... hmmm

Sadly I haven't got one - I'd like to play SM Galaxy but there's little else that grabs me for it, so I only have a 360. Does UAE work well?

It plays SWOS, Cannon Fodder, Zool and a pinball game just fine. Not tried anything else though.

V3 was awful. TT '96 was way better.

As above. I spent so many evenings on '96 with my brother back in the day - we eventually picked up V3 but it just wasn't the same.

(I even bought V4 for the PSP a while ago just because I wanted another MM fix; big mistake...)

Ikaruga is the harder game of the two on all counts (1CC, chaining/scoring). RSG is a longer slog (especially in Saturn mode) but it's not especially complicated. Ikaruga is the deeper of the two and is definitely less accessible. If they've left the weapons save system in this port then there's no reason why anyone couldn't complete RSG in a fraction of the time it would take to complete Ikaruga.

i find RSG to be harder, but yeah if the bold bit is in then i can see the point for RSG being easier.

This week on Xbox Live (unconfirmed at the moment)

Deal of the Week

Ozzy Osbourne Pack 01 - 560msp

Avenged Sevenfold Pack 01 - 320msp

All That Remains Pack 01 - 320msp

Dr. Feelgood (Album) - 880msp

“Screaming for Vengeance” Album - 800msp

Live Arcade

Crazy Machines: Elements - 800msp (unconfirmed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WckQBTZUnOA

DLC

Section 8: Prejudice - Overdrive Map Pack - 320msp

:)

I'm hoping the sales pick up again. I was buying everything I wanted first day and two weeks later they bumped down the price - I stop buying full price and they stop putting them on sale. :(

I mean, I want Moon Diver - but I'm not paying 1200 points for it.

This week on Xbox Live (unconfirmed at the moment)

Deal of the Week

Rock Band 3 DLC - Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood, Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance, Avenged Sevenfold Pack and All That Remains Pack. - 33% off

Live Arcade

Crazy Machines: Elements - 800msp (unconfirmed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WckQBTZUnOA

DLC

Section 8: Prejudice - Overdrive Map Pack - 320msp

:)

Pretty shit week then if that is all there is. Im sure next week will be very different :eyebrows: