Xbox Live Arcade

Zero

Yeah, the Summer of Arcade does look pretty poor this year.

Fortunately the general quality on Arcade is so astronomical at the moment you can pretty much ignore all five of the games and you'd still have a belter of a summer. Not to mention the fact there's about four or five games available soon that they haven't picked that could have easily been part of the showcase.

I was hoping Fez and Retro City Rampage would be part of the Summer of Arcade :(

I was hoping Fez and Retro City Rampage would be part of the Summer of Arcade :(

Fez is fast becoming the DNF of Live Arcade. RCR not being part of the SoA was very surprising, I was so sure it along with Radiant Silvergun or Fire Pro Wrestling would make this years cut. As it stands, I'm day one for From Dust, Toy Soldiers and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. Bastion looks interesting, but I'm completely sold, so I'll be trialling that, Fruit Ninja Kinect can sod right off. <_<

To be honest, I'm really surprised by how small a presence Live Arcade has at this years E3. There would normally be a plethora of movies, demos, trailers, on hands previews, etc, but this year...

Not even a proper Live Arcade sizzle trailer to show off what's coming over the next few months.

I have to be honest, I'm very disappointed in the Summer Of Arcade lineup for this year. There's nothing there that really interests me at all. I'd like to think though that doesn't mean we won't be getting more games along with the summer of arcade titles. Afterall we've seen multiple titles get released on wednesdays too.

I have to be honest, I'm very disappointed in the Summer Of Arcade lineup for this year. There's nothing there that really interests me at all. I'd like to think though that doesn't mean we won't be getting more games along with the summer of arcade titles. Afterall we've seen multiple titles get released on wednesdays too.

No way they're going to release other titles alongside Summer Of Arcade, it's the biggest event in the whole year for XBLA, they want all the focus to be on those five titles for that period.

I'm not sure about the line-up to be honest. Dust looks interesting but I haven't followed it and am not really sure what exactly it is. Bastion I've never heard of. I thought Toy Soldiers was ok but I'd wait for a price drop for the sequel; however Toy Soldiers was a massive success so it's no surprise it's included here. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet looks like it should be great. Fruit Ninja is bad enough on iPhone thanks.

There's usually one sleeper hit every year that takes people by surprise like Trials HD or Lara Croft where people aren't expecting much and it turns out great, so I wouldn't write the line-up off just yet. Trials HD in particular had very little fanfare and was expected to bomb at 1200 points but has been one of the biggest ever success stories of XBLA. I usually buy about 2-3 titles each year and I'd be surprised if I didn't buy that many again this year.

Something isn't right. Why would MS forgo XBLA?

THey don't really appear to have put much effort into E3 at all really.

I wish I knew, I thought we'd see new trailers for RCR, Radiant Silvergun, FEZ, Dust, Bloodrayne: Betrayal, Haunt and Codename D to name a few.

Terrible performance all round from MS and it's rounded off by no Live Arcade releases for the past two weeks and no E3 sale. (I know they don't have to hold a sale, but it would be nice.) <_<

No way they're going to release other titles alongside Summer Of Arcade, it's the biggest event in the whole year for XBLA, they want all the focus to be on those five titles for that period.

I'm not sure about the line-up to be honest. Dust looks interesting but I haven't followed it and am not really sure what exactly it is. Bastion I've never heard of. I thought Toy Soldiers was ok but I'd wait for a price drop for the sequel; however Toy Soldiers was a massive success so it's no surprise it's included here. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet looks like it should be great. Fruit Ninja is bad enough on iPhone thanks.

There's usually one sleeper hit every year that takes people by surprise like Trials HD or Lara Croft where people aren't expecting much and it turns out great, so I wouldn't write the line-up off just yet. Trials HD in particular had very little fanfare and was expected to bomb at 1200 points but has been one of the biggest ever success stories of XBLA. I usually buy about 2-3 titles each year and I'd be surprised if I didn't buy that many again this year.

It's not that I think any of those titles look terrible but the only one there that interests me from the footage is Toy Soliders as the first one is great but I haven't played that much of it yet. It'll be perfect to get as a price cut in the future. I just find it strange that they pick these ones when there's many many more interesting titles that could be included. I'd have loved to see Crimson Alliance get put in there after the disappointment that is Dungeons and Dragons, Fez, Radiant Silvergun, Renegade Ops etc. Then again different strokes for different folks and all that.

Terrible performance all round from MS and it's rounded off by no Live Arcade releases for the past two weeks and no E3 sale.

Now I know how all those PlayStation users felt :(

It is weird, though. I don't think they've missed two weeks in a row since they started doing Wednesday releases. It really surprises me that they don't make more of XBLA at their conferences, especially with stuff like Trials selling over 2m pieces of content, that's pretty massive and the people watching conferences online are the XBLA market. Having the ability to say at your E3 conference "and you can get that on XBLA right now!" completely out of the blue would be awesome and be all sorts of good press.

I mean, even Nintendo managed to do something like that and their online is barely online at all.

In the end, Summer of Arcade doesn't have all that much relevance, it's just a handful of titles that MS themselves have decided to promote during a particular timeframe. Everything else will still come out regardless. Heck, Silvergun may well come out the week before or after. Its absence from the promotion doesn't really mean anything.

In the end, Summer of Arcade doesn't have all that much relevance, it's just a handful of titles that MS themselves have decided to promote during a particular timeframe. Everything else will still come out regardless. Heck, Silvergun may well come out the week before or after. Its absence from the promotion doesn't really mean anything.

The relevance is in the promotion. That promotion is invaluable, the SoA stuff sells far in excess of other XBLA stuff, and any game that's a part of it gets a huge boost. Everything else will still come out, but Silvergun would have sold double as part of Summer of Arcade.

You can probably tell me the names of every game in the SoA promotion, can you tell me what the last game on XBLA was? It was only a couple of weeks ago but I had to think really bloody hard to remember what it was.

For pity's sake stop with the silverpuns.

One more, please! (I thought of it whilst gardening though it's not related)

What if it's not as good as we remember/expected?

(We'll all be) Radiant Silverglum.

I'm rubbish at shmups, but a friend told me of an ancient relic that's said to improve your skills.

"It's a perilous journey," he said. "The relic is held by a sickly old man who refuses to eat or use any animal-products. He won't want to part with it, though, and so you'll have to break in and steal it. This would be easy, however his place is guarded by a fearsome six-legged insect."

"So," I said, "just to confirm, I have to raid the ant's ill vegan?"

Have a +1. And a :hat: and a :lol:

I'm rubbish at shmups, but a friend told me of an ancient relic that's said to improve your skills.

"It's a perilous journey," he said. "The relic is held by a sickly old man who refuses to eat or use any animal-products. He won't want to part with it, though, and so you'll have to break in and steal it. This would be easy, however his place is guarded by a fearsome six-legged insect."

"So," I said, "just to confirm, I have to raid the ant's ill vegan?"

You really should send that to Adam and Joe.

I don't understand the comments about this year's SoA being rubbish. Well, aside from the awfulness of the fruit slicing game. Twisted Shadow Planet and Bastion look really promising, anybody who isn't incredibly excited about From Dust can just go and die. Or read about From Dust.

Short version: it's a gorgeous, physicsed-up to the max, god game directed by Eric Chahi (the guy wot made Another World, way back when). It looks like this. That on its own means this is the most exciting SoA for me so far.

I'm not sure about the line-up to be honest. Dust looks interesting but I haven't followed it and am not really sure what exactly it is.

This one is From Dust (Dust: Elysian Tale is the gorgeous looking 2D platform/brawler/rpg - probably not due until near the end of the year) - it's a Populous style god game with some fantastic scenery deformation tech.. Rivers etc alter dynamically based on the changes to the landscape..

I think they needed to have a Kinect based game in this SoA. I also think that game was originally intended to be GunSlinger. However they made the decision to make it a full retail release and personally I reckon they threw Fruit Ninja in a the last minute.

The relevance is in the promotion. That promotion is invaluable, the SoA stuff sells far in excess of other XBLA stuff, and any game that's a part of it gets a huge boost. Everything else will still come out, but Silvergun would have sold double as part of Summer of Arcade.

You can probably tell me the names of every game in the SoA promotion, can you tell me what the last game on XBLA was? It was only a couple of weeks ago but I had to think really bloody hard to remember what it was.

Yeah. They also tend to have that points back offer which surely helps to buoy the sales of the weaker or less popular games in the promotion. Last year I bought Monday Night Combat and the year before TMNT just to qualify. I almost certainly wouldn't have bought either if they weren't part of SoA.

I don't understand the comments about this year's SoA being rubbish. Well, aside from the awfulness of the fruit slicing game. Twisted Shadow Planet and Bastion look really promising, anybody who isn't incredibly excited about From Dust can just go and die. Or read about From Dust.

Every year people say "it's not as good as last year" but the quality is pretty much always high. I think it's that a lot of the time the games aren't massively known about or sequels.

I'm looking forward to giving them all a go, bar Fruit Ninja as I don't have Kinect. ITSP looks the most impressive to me so far.

Some gameplay clips coming out of E3

From Dust

Ms Splosion Man

Toy Soldiers: Cold War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upj3CtNsg_A

Renegade Ops

Awesomenauts (also coming to PSN, 2011)

Rotastic (also coming to PSN, 2011)

Puddle (Konami published, coming to PSN, Summer 2011)

Zombie Apocalypse 2 announced (you guessed it, also coming to PSN)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQKcDJCQrwY

Bloodrayne Betrayal (Summer)

And that's the first E3 roundup of L.A games. Look out for more updates over the next few days.

:)

Would that please the majority of XBLA users though? I'm happy for the bullet hell shooter fans that RS is coming to XBLA, but if there's one example of an obscure niche game in an obscure niche genre, it's this. I reckon most people will hate it and it might even alienate more casual XBLA players from the service.

And the best summer of arcade was the year where we got both Trials HD and Shadow Complex. Still two of the best XBLA games available.