IGNORED

Xbox Live Arcade

Zero

Is there any fun to be had from Radiant Silvergun if you're not particularly mad about retro games or hardcore shooters? I'm quite interested due to the almost mythical status it has.

Good question, and by god I really want to just say yes buy! buy! buy! such is my love for it!! I guess you'd be best giving the trial a go to be on the safe side though, as 1200 is quite a bit if it doesn't do it for you (how could this be!?!?!?(says he who couldn't give a hoot about street fighter, beat 'em upx/y/z) :).

I think games stop being retro once they dont have any really underlying problems being played nowadays. I mean like old nes and c64 games for example, with unresponsive controls, loads of flicker, or sections not designed properly because they didnt expect anyone to reach them (mainly old 8bit computers for that one). Once the thing actually works, controls properly etc...theres no need to keep calling it retro.

About the strangest definition or retro I've ever read, that is.

So Super Mario Bros with its responsive controls and lack of flicker isn't retro?

I'm not saying it applies to everything, more that in, say 200 years time.. they'll look at this era in one chunk, not little sections. Mario Bros NES is arguably more responsive and playable than the Wii version aswell.

Hmm, the same will happen with, say, 60s fashion. Is 60s fashion no longer retro? Are you on wobbly pills today?

Well it's not really a dated style of gameplay, is it. It's as relevant and enjoyable today as it was when it was first released.

I can sort of see where angel's coming from on this one.

So it's not retro, but other NES games are?

*whoop whoop*

RS is retro, like it or not. In videogame terms, 13 years is a long time.

Moving on. I'm undecided whether to get RS just yet. I usually limit myself to 800 points for XBLA stuff with very rare exceptions and I have far too much to be getting on with already. Hopefully it'll be in a sale down the line. On the other hand, I've not spent much time with the game in the past so it'd be nice to give it some proper attention. Decisions decisions.

You know what I'd like to see on XBLA? Soukyugurentai.

I think it'll be a while before it sees a sale, and we should be encouraging them to publish stuff like this. I didnt even click trial.

A 400 point (saving) is what, 3 quid? If you're anything like I used to be, you'll ponder buying a game at £35, thinking you'll wait till its £25....but then go and chuck 40 quid petrol in your car. I say buy it man.

I think it'll be a while before it sees a sale, and we should be encouraging them to publish stuff like this. I didnt even click trial.

A 400 point (saving) is what, 3 quid? If you're anything like I used to be, you'll ponder buying a game at £35, thinking you'll wait till its £25....but then go and chuck 40 quid petrol in your car. I say buy it man.

Your first point is the one that's making me lean towards buying it tbh.

Is there any fun to be had from Radiant Silvergun if you're not particularly mad about retro games or hardcore shooters? I'm quite interested due to the almost mythical status it has.

You can just play it as a 'shoot everything' game and ignore the chaining - though it'll be tough in arcade mode, but you can play through in Saturn mode where you can keep the powered levels of your weapons (and unlock continues over time if it's like the original) - it's fairly long for a shmup too.

Some levels are almost puzzle oriented as you figure out the best weapon for each situation - you WILL need them all.

It is a bit more 'out there' than a lot of shooters, what with the fun cartoon intro, time jumping plot and a couple of weird bosses, which in conjunction with the music give it a unique charm. Shmups haven't evolved THAT much in the last decade, so it still feels very contemporary compared to most current ones.

In retro terms it was also something of a tech showcase for the Saturn, designed round what the hardware was good at doing, so you have sprite enemies mixed in with limited but effective 3D stuff and hardware effects on the backgrounds and it ran in the machine's high-res mode too.. Obviously it's not that impressive nowadays, but neither the N64 or PS1 could have run the game without severe compromises.

Instabuy for me here.. just got to wait another 5-6 hours until I can play it :(

Downloaded..very slowly. For anyone with HUD/option concerns..fear not. Its really comprehensive. 6 wallpaper types, full screen size/stretch options, and you can turn wallpaper off by setting its brightness to 0%. Superb, I was worried. Also filled with graphic options like i've never seen before in XBLA. Note how i've got no wallpaper or weapon list, just the pure game screen in my piccy. Buy with confidence.

rs1y.jpg

Wonder why someone on the shmups forum in whining that he won't buy it as there's no 4:3 option then?

that's probably for people trying to play on a 4:3 screen, a few xbla games have the same problem, they only work in widescreen so you have borders all round. pretty annoying but most people won't experience it as they play on widescreen tv's.

Wonder why someone on the shmups forum in whining that he won't buy it as there's no 4:3 option then?

Heard they've rerecorded the anime sequences to fix the crummy compression used previously too..

Bizarre, the game is 4:3 with borders, there's nothing to amend. Anime sequences are old-tv anime quality, and finally subbed. The "portraits" when people are talking in-game are definitely re-done nicely too. I cant see any playback artifacts like the Saturn version (although im not digital foundry).

Attempted pic which i'l not resize (apologies if this is awkward browsing).

img1263h.jpg

Re: The definition of retro.

Anyone struggling with it should probably read icycalms article about it on insomnia. Radiant Silvergun is not retro, it is simply 13 years old.

Can't wait to get home from work and get this downloaded. I'm ashamed that I didn't even know it was out, but what a pleasant surprise.