Top 5 Psp Games [now]

Thread Owner

I got my PSP this week. I started playing my PSP this week. And to all intents and purposes I stopped playing my PSP this week. It really is the most pointless purchase a DS owner could make right now.

I never even got into Lumines, so underwhelmed was I by the whole PSP experience. Of course, watching movies/video files on it will be a significant consolation over months to come.

Well I've got a DS and a PSP and a handful of games for each. Currently I'm playing GTA:LCS and really enjoying it. I'm also playing a bit of M64DS but that is reaching the point where the controls are making it too difficult.

So, should I get Mercury?

Cheers fella.

I'm on 1.5 - there's an app that lets you downgrade at will now, isn't there? Or could I just use UMD emulator to make the machine think it's 2.0?

I'm not sure the firmware foolers work with 2.0 games anymore, but up and downgrading is piss easy, so you should be okay.

I hate Pro Evo 5 (xbox, ps2), I'm sure the PSP version is no different. I'd play it on wireless though.

Meh. I just want something nice for Xmas. The PSP might not be the thing after all.

Well, it doesn't have Nintendo written on it.  What other reason do you need?

It's got fuck all games on it that interest me?

I've got Lumines, Ridge Racers, Mercury and Winning Eleven.

Lumines and Ridge racers I'm thoroughly bored with. Mercury I'm stuck on. Winning Eleven is the only thing I really play and even then it's probably once every two weeks.

I'm not gonna get GTA seeing as I have better versions to play at home.

I guess it's partly down to having a DS and the stuff on there at the moment being much more fun to play.

Right. I'm thinking about a PSP for Christmas.

suuuuure you are

In other news, Midway Treasures psp has no sign of Robotron, Smash Tv, Total carnage or Primal Rage, proving that Midway continue to be the mickey mousiest of all the shit publishers.

I got my PSP this week. I started playing my PSP this week. And to all intents and purposes I stopped playing my PSP this week. It really is the most pointless purchase a DS owner could make right now.

I never even got into Lumines, so underwhelmed was I by the whole PSP experience. Of course, watching movies/video files on it will be a significant consolation over months to come.

Similar story. Got mine on release. Played it for a week. On the shelf since then.

It sure is purdy. But...erm...

Maybe handhelds just aren't for me. My GBA suffered a similar fate.

The PSP deserves more love on this forum.

Metal Gear Acid is brilliant. And not a watered down port.

Liberty City Stories is brilliant. And not a port. Sure, it's no San Andreas, but that doesn't mean it's one of the finest pieces of handheld entertainment ever conceived.

Burnout Legends is brilliant. Road Rage on the bog, what more could you want?

And then you can play movies (either rips or UMD), music, photo's and store files on it.

People who slag the PSP are either expecting something different or are willingly blind to it's virtues. As far as I'm concerned it's a lovely piece of kit that deserves its place in any gamer's collection.

The PSP deserves more love on this forum.

[...]

People who slag the PSP are either expecting something different or are willingly blind to it's virtues. As far as I'm concerned it's a lovely piece of kit that deserves its place in any gamer's collection.

Finally. I've been alluding to just the same thing in some of my posts, but in a different way. The PSP truly is impressive kit. And FWIW, more "open" than my iPod.

It's impressive and open, but it's pricey to get it to do all those things.  The games aren't anything (aside from Lumines naturally) I don't have on my current consoles that I've played to death, and I have no need for watching movies on it.

After reading this I've realised its time to turn off my computer and go home. All this yawing is knackering me out!

I got mine a week ago and have since purchased GTA and Wipeout. Both are brilliant. Wipeout seems to feature exactly the amount of crafts and tracks that you'd want. All are well designed and a joy to play, as opposed to most console racers that feature a huge amount of tracks etc that you never bother with as they're pants anyway. GTA is a massively impressive feat. It's also more fun than the original GTA III with tons of additions and works surprisingly well in terms of control.

Will definitely be getting Lumines, Everybody's Golf, Ridge Racer and some other titles in the months to come but am trying to give each game the appreciation it deserves.

Getting one at this point in time as opposed to when it was launched will probably mean that the good games currently out will see you through until some new additions arrive. Provided you don't do what some forum members do and buy a ton of games only to spend five minutes on each.

Lumines is ace.

Ridge Racer is a great handheld arcade racer.

wipeout is teh boring.

burnout has very slow loading times, thus is boring too.

gta, well it's good, but after playing san andreas, it seems tedious.

I am really looking forward to gradius portable and extreme ghosts and ghouls.

I've probably played Lumines the most out of all my PSP games , followed by Everybodys Golf and GTA.

I could never quite get Wipeout on the faster settings so I didnt play that as much as i'd hoped (its gorgeous...) and Ridge Racer got quite dull quite quickly. Pursuit Force is brilliant if you're any good at it, which i'm not.

Cant wait for a decent J-RPG to come out :ph34r:

Star Soldier. i've played it more than any other of my games, by a huge margin.

the tate mode is an inspired use of the PSP's screen and the 2/5 minute score attack mode is addictive as hell - perfect for handheld gaming. i was initially put off by the graphics, but the gameplay really shines through. here's hoping for more PSP vertical shooters.

*prays for a Cave collection*

Good Games on the PSP now. (Depends on what you like because there are a lot of diverse games on the PSP that are all good.)

Lumines

Everybody's Golf

WipeOut Pure *Downloadable extra content*

Ridge Racers

GTA: LCS

Metal Gear Acid 1

Pursuit Force

Virtua Tennis

Pro Evo Soccer

Twisted Metal: Head On *Online*

Ape Escape Academy

Untold Legends

Burnout Legends

Mercury

SSX on Tour

COMING SOON!

KATAMARI DAMACY PSP:

-Other-: (JPN 11/22/05: US Q1-Q2 TBA):

Preview

EXTREME GHOULS & GHOST:

-Action-: (US/JPN TBA 2006):

Preview

EVERY EXTENDED EXTRA:

-Rhythm/Shooter-: (JPN 1/12/06: US TBA):

Preview

DAXTER:

-Action/Platformer-: (US 2/1/06: JPN TBA):]Preview

Preview

INFECTED: *Online*:

-Action/Shooter-: (US Out Now: JPN TBA):

Preview

FIELD COMMANDER: *Online*:

-Stratergy-: (US 2/27/06: JPN TBA):

Preview

METAL GEAR ACID 2:

-Stratergy- (JPN 12/8/05: US 3/1/06):

Preview

ARMORED CORE FORMULA FRONT/INTERNATIONAL:

-Action/Mech- (JPN: Out Now: US 12/13/05):

Preview

STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3 MAX:

-Fighting-: (JPN 1/19/06: US Q1-Q2 2006):

Preview

TOKOBOT:

-Action/Platformer-: (US 11/29/05: JPN 12/15/05):

Preview

SOCOM: FIRE TEAM BRAVO: *Online*

-Action/Shooter: (US Out Now: JPN TBA):

Preview

UNTOLD LEGENDS 2: *Online*:

-Action/RPG-: (US Q1 2006/JPN TBA):

Preview

GRAN TURISMO 4 MOBILE: *Online*:

-Racing-: (US/JPN TBA 2006):

Preview

MONSTER HUNTER PORTABLE:

-Action/RPG-: (JPN 12/1/05: US 2/23/06):

Preview

LOCOROCO:

-Other-: (JPN Q1 2006: US TBA):

Preview

FINAL FANTASY VII: CRISIS CORE

Preview

LEMMINGS

Preview

DEVIL MAY CRY: Dance Of Sparda

News

GRADIUS I - IV

Announcement

THE GETAWAY: Gangs Of London

GOTTLIEB PINBALL

OUTRUN: COAST TO COAST *online*

KILLZONE

Well, it doesn't have Nintendo written on it.  What other reason do you need?

Of course, people who slam the PSP for "unoriginal" games like GTA will rank Mario Kart among their favourite DS games. :angry::P

Both have their virtues. The DS does have more compelling software at the moment, but to write off the PSP is silly. It has some great games.