IGNORED

X360 Achievements & Gamerscore

Cyhwuhx

You've got to love the achievements in PD0 though- 25 points for completing the game on Perfect Agent level? 30 points for getting 1000 headshots in multiplayer? :unsure:

And yeah, I've got to say this is the best looking game of the year. Just look at the Russian levels- they're totally gorgeous.

.::: That little snippet reminded me of something. Achievements are a bit odd aren't they? Not the idea itself, just the implementation and the earned (G)'s.

For instance, as said above PDZ gives you 25(G) for completing the game. Gauntlet gives you 60(G) for reaching level 100. Which might seem tough, but hell ANYONE can achieve that by just hammering down the Y button for credits and taking some time.

Now I don't know how long it takes to complete PDZ (nor do I want to, but that's an entirely different and already known story), but I can safely guess completing that game should be in a more rewarding category.

So (G) counts are screwed at that point.

Then comes the total. Why? It doesn't seem to do anything else beyond being a giant willy wave if you have a high score and played every game available for a few minutes to grab some early Achievements.

While Achievements in itself are a good way to add replay value, it seems to be dumped into games as an afterthought. Give every game the same maximum amount of earnable (G)'s (say 500 or so) and turn the total into an average per game. That way the score can become a bit more meaningful (although it's far from a proper 'solution').

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you like or hate Achievements and (G)'s? And how would you like to see them being used?

I've been getting some time in on my mate's 360 and the achievements 'idea' could work really well but looking at the way some are amassed there seems to be little structure to it.

I've never been a completist with games and having a little Gamerscore won't really bother me on Live when I finally get a 360.

Maybe if I was 14 again I'd think differently but these days I play for fun, not as some sort of second job where I earn an imaginery wage.

If you could use your G's to purchase stuff however - rather than have to buy credits - that would be good I reckon.

I agree about the averages, there could be those dedicated but crap players who buy every game going, who'll unlock the easiest achievements and get more than someone who has less games but achieved more.

Also EA really are taking the piss if they give credit to you for looking at a records screen on Madden.

So yes, quite a few are poorly thought out.

Well, all games do have a certain number of points. Live Arcade games have 200, disc-based games have 1,000. So King Kong is short game and gives you 1,000 points just for completing it and Perfect Dark has tons of stuff in it and divides the points up into loads of different achievements on the single and multiplayer sides.

Basically, you can't read anything into someone's gamer score as a total, but by drilling down to see how they earned the points you can compare yourself to someone in a meaningful way.

It's all just a bit of fun - but I must say I do like earning the achievements is something that gives me a feeling of, er, achievement when the message pops up.

I just wish it wouldn't list demos of Live Arcade games as games you've played and put them in your list.

To be honest, I like the idea of achievements but they're just a bit shit in PD0- to the point where I just wouldn't bother. If you got a certain number of points for completing each level (like, a decent amount), it probably would make me work at finishing the game, rather than leaving it at the bottom of my gaming pile! Your Gamerscore might just be a big willy wave, but the achievements really make me want to finish the games I have to get the points. Finishing Veteran level on COD2 is rewarding in itself, but moreso when it's recorded next to your Gamertag.

So yeah, it's all a bit of fun- it just isn't implemented well in a couple of games I've played. It would've been better in PGR3 if you were rewarded a score for each trophy earned, rather than 'taking a photo in every city', or whatever.

It seems that the Live Arcade games have harder achievements than some of the full price games, but earn you only around 10% as much in points...you deserve a sodding free game for getting all of them in smash tv or robotron.

I really like the idea of the achievements though (the worthwhile ones at least), it kept me plugging away at Geo Wars longer than I might have otherwise...its kind of nice seeing the achievements section gradually filling up over time. I just hope as time goes on future games turn more towards hitting a certain amount of points or being able to do x hard thing, so its something you have to work for, not simply "press the x button!!11" or something stupid.

That would be an excellent idea to get the most out of your games - play the shit out of three games, buy another with the acquired game points!

Nintendo, are you listening?

.::: I was thinking about that as well, but I don't need any real stuff for it.

I also don't want to pay real money for a Mac-buttonized avatar GIF.

Now why can't I spend (G)'s to buy gamerpictures, eyh?

Also Condemned only counts 970(G) in total, so that made me assume every game has its own maximum amount.

I think the max points per game is 2000 (correct me if wrong), but they can use a lower number if they wish

I must say I do like earning the achievements is something that gives me a feeling of, er, achievement when the message pops up.

I just wish it wouldn't list demos of Live Arcade games as games you've played and put them in your list.

Totally agree about the Live arcade games. You can't get points in demos so why list?

I'd put the odd distribution to launch rush really. While someone mentioned the photo's in PGR, that only counts for 10g's and it takes about 5seconds on every city, so is hardly a bad use of points. On the other hand you get 45g for buy all the ferrari, which seems a much more suitable figure for me.

personally I think it's a good idea and so far works fairly well, there is definately room for improvement though, but thats the case for other aspects as well (like some of the Live modes in games)

I think CoD has the system nailed, both in the actual "sense" of achievement, and how the points are distributed. You get a nice chunk at the start for keeping interest, a bigger chunk for finishing the game - but the majority of the points comes from replaying levels on harder difficulty. It's a wonderful system - and I haven't even played it!

Kameo was a bit odd - points for getting elementals, but it didn't seem that hard - just a natural sense of progression. In addition, the challenge mode was a bit unfair - you were only awarded for gettng A grades. Maybe they should have gave points for those who were total shit at getting high points, and saw a C as a major score.

Before the 360 though I was sceptical of it - it seemed like a redundant thing, as with the gamercard. Now that it's been put into action, I can say it's a nice piece of gaming personification!

PD0 has it laid out nicely, you get points per level, and some for finishing the last level (so it evens out).

Condemned is similar, it gives you points for finding birds, secret areas and for finishing levels.

The Gamerscore has made Live and games much like a bigger RPG, where I'm constantly playing just to earn stuff - which sounds sad, but it's just like Warcraft where people play just to get their ranks up. Geeks.

I think that Achievements work well when you have to do something a bit "different" to get them. The Pacifist achievement in Geometry Wars should be the benchmark for the system - that's what they should all be like.

Getting achievements simply for going through a game is pointless. I want to see something akin to the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark style target times, which kept people playing for months to get the unlockables. That kinda thing. An "achievement" should be exactly that.

I find the g's thing interesting but I'm a bit confused at people who have 3000+ allready. Do they go through each achievement one by one to rack up the points?

I find it funny that platinuming PGR3 is worth about 50 g's. Platinuming PGR2 was a real achievement and when I platinum PGR3 I want that to be pride of place. The fact that I got more g's for beating marathon mode or something on Hexic just seems silly to me.

I find the g's thing interesting but I'm a bit confused at people who have 3000+ allready. Do they go through each achievement one by one to rack up the points?

probably

But thinking about it, finishing 5 or so games and fulfilling achievements over the 4-6 week period people have had machines for isnt that unlikely

Except, you don't.

Oh? Must have read it all wrong then, my apologies dear sir.

Someone on my friend's list is already on 6740 (ACARA). Pretty crazy. I think he has most of the games now, plays pretty much non-stop in the evenings. Comes into the store I work at now and again.

Condemned does lay it out well though, points for finding hidden stuff and for completing levels.

I like the way Geometry Wars does it, but that can't be applicable for many games, other than the Arcade titles really.