rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

All 360 Owners

BONUS: The guy on the phone told me that I shouldn't be using the VGA-cable. Why thank you, will you also buy me an HDTV to compensate then?

What does he mean you shouldn't be using the VGA cable? Why do the sell official ones if you should use them?

What does he mean you shouldn't be using the VGA cable? Why do the sell official ones if you should use them?

.::: That's what I was thinking, yet the moment I started transforming into Rllmuk-Discussion-Mode the guy instantly turtled out some new words, claiming it to be personal preference. As I still wanted a replacement Xbox 360 I figured I'd better not tick him off with beards, zings and BitG's.

What I did get from this little conversation is that he claimed the VGA cable would make graphical errors far more visible. Which is a giant DUH as that's what you get with any sharp and high resolution image. I think he was referring to a blurred SD image and mistook my complaint about the transparency-effect I had since the launch as a jaggies-complaint. I've seen a lot of people in the shops already claim the Xbox 360 had a lot of jaggies (which isn't that odd considering the tv's and the output). Whatever the case he never should've mentioned it in the first place only to 'recommend' going back to SD.

He also was extremely surprised when I explained that a 60Hz Xbox game running on a VGA'd Xbox 360 was unable to download content, as the download service bits within those games always defaulted back to 50Hz, resulting in the game crashing on a VGA'd Xbox 360 and forcing me to download content via my SD telly beforehand.

Maybe I should apply for a job there...

.::: To follow up on my 3/4 RoR woes:

I got an email with a parcel-label. So I packed the Xbox 360 with the power-brick as instructed, printed the label and applied it to the parcel. Quick phone-call to UPS, they take my details, cross-reference it and ask me when they can pick it up. I was a bit flabbergasted at this point, they ask ME? That's a first.

Oh, well the †box 360 will now be collected tomorrow after lunch. Kind of surprised with this, if the rest follows suit, then I'm impressed indeed.

I am not able to bring mine back to the shop today, but this thread was worrying me so I went into them on my way into work.

I explained that mine was borked, and I bought it in early March. The bloke said that they'd exchange it as long as I had the receipt (which I do) and then he said the magic words which earned Gamestop in Dublin a customer for life "keep your harddrive, just bring in the console and power supply". Excellent.

Not sure about all the different error codes but my 360 had the freezing and graphical errors.

I fixed it with the heatgun fix but after a week it was back to freezing up.

Tried the fix again, fine for a week then again etc

Every time after the fix I put the 360 back in the vertical position.

After the last fix I laid the 360 horizontal and its been fine for a good 6 or 7 weeks.

I get the feeling that the ram or gpu arent seated in the board/soldered/baked properly and the 360's lousy heating heats up the solder causing the chips to become unseated.

With the 360 stood verticaly gravity plus internel heat pulls the chips slightly out of place which causes the crashing.

Horizontaly the chips stay in place.

Could be bollocks but after several repairs to mine and a friends machine it seems to hold some ground.

Like I say this is only for xboxs that freeze and crash and that can be fixed with the heatgun method.

Right guy's I haven't used my launch day 360 since January. As I've just got a HDTV I Plugged it in yesterday and played DOA4 and downloaded a few demos. Played a couple of tracks. Everything seems to be working ok. The only thing is the noise. My God the fan is loud!

Is that a general thing that every Xbox 360 has or is it an overheating issue. Are there any other faults I should be looking out for? As the end of the warranty is near should I ring up and say it's crashing just to get a new one?

I would read the previous 55 pages but am at work and don't have time!!

Right guy's I haven't used my launch day 360 since January. As I've just got a HDTV I Plugged it in yesterday and played DOA4 and downloaded a few demos. Played a couple of tracks. Everything seems to be working ok. The only thing is the noise. My God the fan is loud!

If it's genuinely the fan (ie the 360 makes a racket all the time, even when sat in the dashboard or playing a Live Arcade game) then you do have problems, yes. The 360 should do no more than whirr gently at these times.

If it only makes a racket when you're playing a game, it's not the fan, it's the DVD drive spinning, and yes it's bloody loud. Nothing unusual there.

The Xbox was switched off yesterday and I had the plug and charge thing charing the controller. So it was charging the controller but the console was switched off. It was making a hell of a noise. But it sounded like a fan. No HDD noise or anything like that.

The Xbox was switched off yesterday and I had the plug and charge thing charing the controller. So it was charging the controller but the console was switched off. It was making a hell of a noise. But it sounded like a fan. No HDD noise or anything like that.

Yeah> The fans keep running even when the machine is off it you're charging the contollers.

I posted in ATF, but didnt get much feedback.

This thread is massive also, and the search function is a little flimsy for what i need to ask, so i'll cop and paste what i wrote in ATF. I hope someone here can help, and possibly provide a solution.

This seems to happen whenever i turn on the Xbox360 at the wall mains. When i push the button to turn on the 360, the light will go on etc and i'll hear the hard drive/game run for a few seconds then nothing. I have to push the 360 power button off, then on again, to get it to work properly.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I can live with it, but it's extremely annoying turning it on, sitting down then realising you have to turn it off and then on again to get it to work. Is there a solution to this?

I don't get any red lights

Anyone able to help?

Got 4 red lights today, tremendous :unsure:

The only thing that has changed recently is that I've started using MCE and transcode to watch vids on my telly. Bastards!

This thread is massive also, and the search function is a little flimsy for what i need to ask, so i'll cop and paste what i wrote in ATF. I hope someone here can help, and possibly provide a solution.

Anyone able to help?

I always turned mine off at the plug and it never seemed to cause the problem youre having.

Anyone able to help?

Could be the faceplate isnt pushing the button right. I know early Xbox 360s had slightly dodgy faceplates where the button felt mushy, rather than a click. A new faceplate fixed that problem.

I accidently pulled the plug out the power brick whilst my 360 was on, it gave me 4 lovely red lights when i quickly plugged it in and then turned itself off. Been fine since though.

I just wish the dashboard wasnt so slow, its on a super powerful machine that can push millions of polygons, yet cant make a simple OS glide smoothly.

What does it mean if when you turn on the machine the bottom right ring turns red?

Happened to me twice now.Once when playing a DVD and once when booting up TDU.

arggg my second xbox 360 is doing exactly the same as the first one now loads of graphical glitches all over the screen like its snowing. will have to get in contact with gameplay and get it replaced AGAIN ;)

It's more worrying being one of the few people with a working 2005 machine and it creeping towards the warranty expirey. I hardly use my 360 which is more than likely why it's still going. I hope MS honour the system they have in the US where a 2005 machine is covered for 2 years.

Have you (or anyone) got a linky for this? My 2005 just died (in the US) and the Microsoft lady said these early models were being covered by a complimentary one year warranty, not two. It's still a big improvement over the 90 day warranty they're sold with, but with two years I could really relax.

For example if the replacement they send out is the same age as my first.

Have you (or anyone) got a linky for this? My 2005 just died (in the US) and the Microsoft lady said these early models were being covered by a complimentary one year warranty, not two. It's still a big improvement over the 90 day warranty they're sold with, but with two years I could really relax.

For example if the replacement they send out is the same age as my first.

.::: 90 days!? Dear lord! ;)

[edit] Here's your link btw.

For Europe it seems:

EUROPEAN CONSUMER PRODUCT GUARANTEES

Introducing a Statutory Two-Year Warranty

The Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees Directive (Directive) introduced a two-year statutory warranty of fitness and quality for consumer goods. Any manufacturer’s warranty supplied with the goods or placed in advertising material must provide an equivalent level of consumer protection. The statutory guarantee gives consumers in Europe a right to replacement of defective goods or a refund within one year of the sale, and a right to obtain free repairs for two years. The warranties of fitness and quality may also provide grounds for a product liability claim without a showing of negligence. This review describes the background to the Directive and describes its principal terms.

Liability arises where the defect becomes evident to the consumer within two years of delivery of the goods, unless the defect was or should have been apparent to the consumer at the time of the sale. Any defect apparent within six months of delivery is presumed to have existed at the time of delivery unless proof to the contrary is furnished or this is incompatible with the nature of the goods or the defect.

http://www.crowell.com/worddocs/European/G...NTEE-REVISE.DOC

Although it seems that the UK still has to adopt this... I believe it's become part of Dutch law early 2005. I know Sony has burned (and is burning) their fingers on it: they still only provide a one year warranty for the PS2 and PSP and you need to communicatively harass them to get the second year if something goes wrong.

.::: 90 days!? Dear lord! ;)

[edit] Here's your link btw.

For Europe it seems:

http://www.crowell.com/worddocs/European/G...NTEE-REVISE.DOC

Although it seems that the UK still has to adopt this... I believe it's become part of Dutch law early 2005. I know Sony has burned (and is burning) their fingers on it: they still only provide a one year warranty for the PS2 and PSP and you need to communicatively harass them to get the second year if something goes wrong.

Thanks for that.Now I can rest easy knowing if my 360 dies in its seconds year at least I can get it repaired rather than having to buy a new one.

Hey guys, im thinking of e-mailing Microsoft about the problem im having with my 360. When i turn it on, the machine powers on and the lights are on, but nothing appears on the screen.

I have to turn the whole machine off and turn it back on and voila, it works.

So yeh... Who do i e-mail at Microsoft to get help?

I have to turn the whole machine off and turn it back on and voila, it works.

Mine used to do that a lot. It's not done it in while though.

Mine used to do that a lot. It's not done it in while though.

Can you think what you may have done differently? What might have changed that?

Is your 360 horizontal? Vertical? Do you use the HDD?

It's only a minor niggle, but considering it's less than a month old, it's a little disappointing :lol:

It used to do it a lot more when I had the machine unplugged while not using it. So maybe it was to do with it warming up?

I'm going to free up a component socket on my HDTV for the Wii by going VGA with the 360. I've read that DVD is upscaled to 720p via VGA? What are the advantages / disadvantages of switching to VGA?

a week

It used to do it a lot more when I had the machine unplugged while not using it. So maybe it was to do with it warming up?

I'm going to free up a component socket on my HDTV for the Wii by going VGA with the 360. I've read that DVD is upscaled to 720p via VGA? What are the advantages / disadvantages of switching to VGA?

im not so sure it is, i'd check