All 360 Owners

kerraig UK

But the manufacturer is under no obligation to fix it outside the 1 year warranty they gave, it's the shop you bought it from that's obligated by EU regulation to fix/replace it within 2 years (and way longer if it's a design fault, etc). The shop is likewise able to have it fixed/replaced within 2 years, from their supplier, this chain of responsibility ultimately leads to the manufacturer. However, you have no contract with the manufacturer, just the entity that sold it to you.

For reference, the EU regulation in question was Directive 1999/44/EC, which was brought into force in UK law by The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, which is here.

Very helpful, thanks :D

Symphony of the Night crashed on me today, so I switched my 360 off and on again, to be greeted by the three red lights.

"Microsoft do not comment on other customers' cases" and "Microsoft's warranty in the UK is for 12 months so you will have to pay". It wasn't even fit-sounding Irish lass I spoke to :lol:

I did tell them that, they replied that I was within my rights to do so, but they still wanted over £80.

They told you you were within your rights to go and buy a PS3?

Urge to kill rising. Wish we had a friendly Sun staffer on willing to spin that some hideous way against MS.

But the manufacturer is under no obligation to fix it outside the 1 year warranty they gave, it's the shop you bought it from that's obligated by EU regulation to fix/replace it within 2 years (and way longer if it's a design fault, etc). The shop is likewise able to have it fixed/replaced within 2 years, from their supplier, this chain of responsibility ultimately leads to the manufacturer. However, you have no contract with the manufacturer, just the entity that sold it to you.

For reference, the EU regulation in question was Directive 1999/44/EC, which was brought into force in UK law by The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, which is here.

Went to Asda today, and quoted this at them. They won't budge. If it's past the 12 month warranty they won't replace it, and there's nothing you can do.

What annoys me about this is the total lack of responsible journalism from the press on the subject. They should be flaming Microsoft regularly for this, until they admit the problem or come up with a solution. Yet they let them get away with it.

I can only assume there is some sort of agreement with magazines & websites not to mention the atrocious failure rate of 360s... whatever happened to responsible and honest journalism, eh? :lol:

It's depressing when Watchdog takes a videogame story seriously before your own industry press does.

What annoys me about this is the total lack of responsible journalism from the press on the subject. They should be flaming Microsoft regularly for this, until they admit the problem or come up with a solution. Yet they let them get away with it.

I can only assume there is some sort of agreement with magazines & websites not to mention the atrocious failure rate of 360s... whatever happened to responsible and honest journalism, eh? :angry:

It's depressing when Watchdog takes a videogame story seriously before your own industry press does.

What are Edge or GamesTM prepared to do, eh?

Done the towel trick on mine today... And it's back to life. Not sure how long for, though. What a thoroughly wierd thing. How does heating it up make it work again? :angry:

If the problem is heat causing the GPU to lose contact with the motherboard then I suppose more heat/buckling it somehow could reverse it.

If the problem is heat causing the GPU to lose contact with the motherboard then I suppose more heat/buckling it somehow could reverse it.

Yeah, must be. Still don't know what to do about it. Whether it's just worth trading it in or something...

They told you you were within your rights to go and buy a PS3?

Urge to kill rising. Wish we had a friendly Sun staffer on willing to spin that some hideous way against MS.

They did indeed. I tried really really hard, but they would not budge. Infact they became fairly aggressive each time which suprised me as the one thing I did not do was to get annoyed. It felt as if they were taking it personally that I was suggesting the console was about as well put together as an airfix kit.

They did indeed. I tried really really hard, but they would not budge. Infact they became fairly aggressive each time which suprised me as the one thing I did not do was to get annoyed. It felt as if they were taking it personally that I was suggesting the console was about as well put together as an airfix kit.

A clear sign they are getting it all the fucking time.

Seriously, why is no games magazine making a stand on this? The evidence is overwhelming.

A clear sign they are getting it all the fucking time.

Seriously, why is no games magazine making a stand on this? The evidence is overwhelming.

It is surprising as the press usually love a Microsoft disaster. The Watchdog investigation proved deeply unsatisfying as they seemed to all too easily accept Microsoft's claim that it was within acceptable tolerance levels.

When the PS2 came along the same program seemed to make a much bigger deal of a smaller issue of unrealiable PS2's.

It is surprising as the press usually love a Microsoft disaster. The Watchdog investigation proved deeply unsatisfying as they seemed to all too easily accept Microsoft's claim that it was within acceptable tolerance levels.

That's the problem. Without data showing the actual failure rate of console, MS can say "it's within acceptable levels". You would expect a 2% failure rate on consumer electronics. Be interesting to see what the figure is on launchday machines.

I still havent got mine repaired yet - I really am struggling with the decision. I don;t miss it half as much as I thought I would , that's for sure.

That's the problem. Without data showing the actual failure rate of console, MS can say "it's within acceptable levels". You would expect a 2% failure rate on consumer electronics. Be interesting to see what the figure is on launchday machines.

I still havent got mine repaired yet - I really am struggling with the decision. I don;t miss it half as much as I thought I would , that's for sure.

Any magazine could do so though. Coming by the figures should be trivial. Just seems nobody's that bothered.

We must have 30 consoles between Jess and I and this is the only one that has ever failed.

I still think we should start a thread with everyone's details, send it to Microsoft and see what they say.

Ten years later...

It pains me, but I'm going to have to pay the £85 and think about what merry hell I can create afterwards to get it back.

Before you do that, have you considered contacting your local Trading Standards, see what they make of the situation?

Went to Asda today, and quoted this at them. They won't budge. If it's past the 12 month warranty they won't replace it, and there's nothing you can do.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/

They have a consumer direct telephone line at: 08454 04 05 06

Unless they're accusing you of having broken it through misuse, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Any warranty is immaterial, this is a statutory right.

You have no chance of having your repair fee refunded, without going to court.

You probably need to talk to the manager, shop assistants don't necessarily know consumer law (sadly), someone you can reasonably expect to speak for Asda. Remain calm and reasonable, don't give them any excuse to ban you. Just keep repeating that you're seeking your statutory rights and that the machine is not fit for purpose. You want to do this during office hours or else you might have to go back later.

I still think we should start a thread with everyone's details, send it to Microsoft and see what they say.

I don't think Microsoft will give a toss if their customers contact them complaining - we already have done & they're not too fussed. But maybe they would if they got bad press through it...

Crazy idea: We could get everone who's had a borked 360 to email the news editors at Edge, Games TM & Wired to try and get them to address the issue with Microsoft. Imagine those people getting 50+ emails about the same issue within a few days - they'd have to take notice. A template email could be passed around & posted on various forums with space for everyone to write their own stories at the top. It could be massive. Viva la fucking revolution! Or something...

Well, mine is just acting oddly now. Since the fix, I played about an hour and a half of Guitar Hero II. Played fine and I finished it on Hard. I turned it off. A few mintues later, me and the missus watched a 720p rip of Happy Feet on it, streaming from PC. All fine. Turned it off after watching it. Checked it was still working by immediately turning it on again and got the three red rings again. Now, as I got the three red rings after watching a 720p rip of Serenity on Thursday night and again after watching Happy Feet, I can only surmise it's this that's doing the damage somehow. Anyway, left it for about 4 mins, then decided to do the towel trick again. Turned it on to get my GHII disk out and it worked fine first time.

What the bloody hell is going on in there!?

There's a guy on GAF who's been posting pics. Of course it's far too early to tell, for all we know the rate might be significantly reduced.

Like hell it will.

What you mean MS' highly technical update of whacking loads of glue on didn't pay off! At least Neil Buchanan would have approved.

Well, mine is just acting oddly now. Since the fix, I played about an hour and a half of Guitar Hero II. Played fine and I finished it on Hard. I turned it off. A few mintues later, me and the missus watched a 720p rip of Happy Feet on it, streaming from PC. All fine. Turned it off after watching it. Checked it was still working by immediately turning it on again and got the three red rings again. Now, as I got the three red rings after watching a 720p rip of Serenity on Thursday night and again after watching Happy Feet, I can only surmise it's this that's doing the damage somehow. Anyway, left it for about 4 mins, then decided to do the towel trick again. Turned it on to get my GHII disk out and it worked fine first time.

What the bloody hell is going on in there!?

My machine failure was after doing precisely fuck all. Hadn't even been on that day. All I'd done in the preceding week was alternate between FEAR and Test Drive. Should get it back next week, although this thread makes me think it'll be a matter of weeks before it bombs again.

My machine failure was after doing precisely fuck all. Hadn't even been on that day. All I'd done in the preceding week was alternate between FEAR and Test Drive. Should get it back next week, although this thread makes me think it'll be a matter of weeks before it bombs again.

Yeah, I have no idea what's causing it. Just played RS:V for half hour or so and all fine again. I just don't get it.

I have repaired a fair few with a heatgun to the gpu and ram chips.My own machine around half a dozen times, I think I posted this before a couple of months ago in this thread and the machine is still going strong.

After looking how I use the machine after each fix this is what I do now (and the machine has been fine since before xmas, with needing the heatgun at least once a month for 5 months before doing the below)

1.Keep the machine horizontal.

2.Dont switch the machine of/on several times a day,I switch mine on once and leave it on until I'm off to bed.

3.After playing a game leave the machine on for around half an hour before switching off.

It may be bollocks and I may have touched lucky but it looks to me like the gpu and ram chips have been shitly baked to the motherboard.

Bad enough to break after heating up once or taking several months to detariate, just the luck of the draw.

So basicly I keep it in the position that gravity keeps the chips seated and let the console cool down via the fan after a game has heated the gpu etc.

I realy think there is something (heat) that stresses the chips. As seen in a lot of people getting the rings after the gpu gets a good workout (extra heat/stress) in graphicaly intense games such as dead rising etc and in the console being heated up quickly via a game then switched off straight away(rapidly cooling)

I'm sure switching the console off and on to much and switching off to soon after playing a game as opposed to cooling just sat at the dash can create stress to the chips connection to the mobo.

Its a shitty state of affairs when you need to treat a gamesconsole with such kid gloves but after doing the above its been flawless for over 4 months (it needed fixing every month for several months before hand)

Like I say its just an observation with dealing with a lot of rrod machines.