All 360 Owners

kerraig UK

I think mine's on the way out (2nd). Cod3's graphics started to go all blue on the shadows and the screen started crashing up. Amazing timing. If it dies during Forza or Beta i'm gonna turn hulk. Can you buy the official MS Sledgehammer?

3.After playing a game leave the machine on for around half an hour before switching off.

(...)

I'm sure switching the console off and on to much and switching off to soon after playing a game as opposed to cooling just sat at the dash can create stress to the chips connection to the mobo.

It's been mentioned already in this thread, I think, but one of the best bits of advice I've seen is to make sure you use the Play and Charge cable whenever you're shutting the machine down. It keeps the fans running after the processors are switched off, thus alleviating nasty heat build-up.

It's been mentioned already in this thread, I think, but one of the best bits of advice I've seen is to make sure you use the Play and Charge cable whenever you're shutting the machine down. It keeps the fans running after the processors are switched off, thus alleviating nasty heat build-up.

how long would you advise letting it run for?

What annoys me about this is the total lack of responsible journalism from the press on the subject. They should be flaming Microsoft regularly for this, until they admit the problem or come up with a solution. Yet they let them get away with it.

I can only assume there is some sort of agreement with magazines & websites not to mention the atrocious failure rate of 360s... whatever happened to responsible and honest journalism, eh? :unsure:

It's depressing when Watchdog takes a videogame story seriously before your own industry press does.

Couldn't agree more. I even decided to join the EDGE forum hoping I could persuade them to look into the matter. The result was less than encouraging.

Crazy really, I suppose it really was a good place back in the day. Despite the tossers that ruined it, it obviously had a good forumite base because when everyone migrated over here this place stayed pretty spot on.

And now it looks like GameFAQ's forums, oh dear. I don't imagine that the staffers let it trouble them.

Well, I'm adding my 360 to the list of problem ones.

I made a post about it in ATF, basically I've got flashing ring lights (not red though).

I'm gonna take it back to Game tomorrow, it's 7 months old.

This is the first console I've ever had any problem with. My SNES and Megadrive still work in perfect order; and I'd blame moving parts, but my Gamecube is working like it's just been switched on for the first time.

It's a mixture of GameFAQ level posts and GameFAQs posts where the poster has desperately trawled through MS Words theasaurus in the vain hope their revelatory post on why girls don't play games gets published in the magazine.

I realy think there is something (heat) that stresses the chips.

Rumours are that the GPU will be going to 65nm soon. If you're right, then maybe that'll do something to reduce the problems.

So, yeah, after being offered a choice of PGR3, Kameo or PDzero as compensation, I have decided to sell everything I have, except the HDD. Anyone after a bargain should check out the trading folder.

Sad day. I still think you should not let it drop and follow up with a letter to them.

So, yeah, after being offered a choice of PGR3, Kameo or PDzero as compensation, I have decided to sell everything I have, except the HDD. Anyone after a bargain should check out the trading folder.

I'm doing the exact same shortly even though my third 360 currently works. Once Microsoft manage to manufacture a console that doesn't constantly break down I'll buy another one. I can't say I'm happy with having my online gaming ruined by having to pay for a game and then buy extra content just so that I can play in the same games as my friends. £40 a year for a service that doesn't really exist doesn't fill me with enthusiasm either.

My 4th failed Xbox 360 was collected by UPS on Monday. I have never had to replace an electrical item more than once in my whole life, that I will soon be on my 5th 360 is surely something MS should be worried about. Whilst its one of my favourite consoles of them all, its also far and away the most unreliable and poorly built. Its such a shame.

My 4th failed Xbox 360 was collected by UPS on Monday.

Fourth? Bloody hell...

Mine's about 6 weeks old and, interestingly, displayed the 3 red lights the very first time I switched it on, but then never since.

There's a wiki page about the problems here

What is this 'towel' trick being spoken of?

Mine came back today and it is the same one I sent them, thankfully. Took 8 days from sending it to them, which isn't bad I suppose, despite it being the longest week ever. I think I'm addicted to my 360. :lol: Haven't had a chance to see if it's working yet though.

Rebs took delivery of it from the UPS guy, who said, "Here's your 360." "I hope it works, they seem to be quite unreliable", says she. "Tell me about it" says Mr UPS, "We're picking up 10-20 per week from Dumfries, for repair!"

Dumfries has a population of just 148,000...not exactly huge.

Rumours are that the GPU will be going to 65nm soon. If you're right, then maybe that'll do something to reduce the problems.

By the end of the year they say. The 'Elite' was supposed to be 65nm but the tech was delayed for some reason. Bloody stupid to go ahead with it anyway IMO as (sadly) it was one of the main "features" that people were willing to buy the new hardware for. Says a lot.

By the end of the year they say. The 'Elite' was supposed to be 65nm but the tech was delayed for some reason. Bloody stupid to go ahead with it anyway IMO as (sadly) it was one of the main "features" that people were willing to buy the new hardware for. Says a lot.
I agree. if anything, it's truly a slap in the face of the installed userbase that microsoft was hoping to get to upgrade (yes, I realise that we, the diehard, are a small percentage, but we're also the ones that tend to be the most vocal).

without the 65nm tech in there, there's really nothing to prevent the current overheating problem (as shown by tests on llamma.com) with an even more expensive piece of kit. they should have gone ahead and included the wireless network adapter (internally) as well if they really wanted to compete on a more "apples to apples" playfield against the ps3.

in other news, my towel fixed system only temporarily appears to have fixed the "ring of red death" issue. it locked up again after only a few minutes of play the other night. since I was already disgusted with microsoft, I decided to take matters into my own hands (vigilante style) to get me back up and running in time for the halo3 public beta in 2 weeks.

squirtle:

is yours dead too?

Oh, god yeah. It lasted a further two days allowing me to finish Guitar Hero on hard, and nearly finish Rainbow Six.

I was just wondering if people were still gypping Argos out of new premiums. Do they take down serial numbers yet?