IGNORED

All 360 Owners

kerraig UK

Question chaps, when your xbox goes back to microsoft for repair and its gone for a month and a half, do they send you any kind of goodies as a 'we;re sorry we made a shite peiece of kit'?

You need to ask about compensation or they'll accidently forget. They'll give you a list of games they can send (Kameo, Perfect Dark, PGR3 or Viva Pinata), but if you ask specifically for peripherals they sometimes offer controllers and cameras if you're nice enough. They also don't seem to mind adding some marketplace points to your account.

• 2 months later...

i got the red light and i phoned ms and they said that a ups guy will come and pick it up

he picked it up 2 days later and now its in havant this id the address:

European reapair center

room apt Brookside road

co teleplan

havant po91jp

can somone tell me how long it takes

ARGH

*shakes fist*

360 packed in today... it kept freezing during games and after doing this about 5 times booted up with the RRoD. Tried booting it again and it was succesful, but it froze within a few minutes.

just before christmas as well and I've got either Mass Effect or Scene It! coming... ARGH I feel like chucking it out of the window.

I'm in two minds whether to buy another one - (the premiers have HDMI now don't they? that'd save me some nonsense at the back of the telly).

Do I need to send the hard drive when I send it off for a repair.

Damn MS and their shoddy hardware. My Wii's seen twice the hours the 360 has and it's been absoloutely solid.

rassin' frassin'

You need to ask about compensation or they'll accidently forget.

You can get compensation? I'm on my 4th, I didn't know anything about that.

They did send me a 1 month live card on the last one (which I had to pay for, but was refunded), but I couldn't use it because I already had a paid for subscription or something. Plebs.

If you look up on any of xbox forums out there, E74 is a GPU error. When my 360 packed up I bought another whilst waiting, from Argos. It was the HDMI version and within only a few days I started getting the E74 error, with me having to reboot the 360 several times before it actually booted into the dash.

It's basically down to a duff card or connection. I'll be returning it to MS this week. Once I get it back I'm flogging the damn thing and sticking with the sent back unit (which incidentally is a new replacement - contrary to what they told me over the telephone which was that it'd be a repaired one since it's the first time I got RRoD on it).

The replacement doesn't always boot 1st time but does the 2nd if it doesn't - don't know whether it's down to the fact that my house is cold or what but other than that no probs whatsoever.

The replacement doesn't always boot 1st time but does the 2nd if it doesn't - don't know whether it's down to the fact that my house is cold or what but other than that no probs whatsoever.

yeah, mine also nearly always boots 2nd time

do you get a red light (bottom right)?

This is great - in the top half of the discussion folder we have:

9/10 360's going tits up

360 Steering wheels recalled

360 can fuck up your wi-fi

Yet we all still love the 360, myself included. Why?!?!?!

maybe I should start a thread devoted to my 360 un-problems... you know, to compensate for all the doom-mongering?

yeah, mine also nearly always boots 2nd time

do you get a red light (bottom right)?

Sounds like trying to start an old car or something. :wub:

To try & put this in some kind of context, how many people reading this thread have had their PS3 or Wii fail in such a manner?

Not a troll or anything, i'm just genuinely curious. Were'nt there some reports of these consoles getting "bricked" when they tried to update or something?

To try & put this in some kind of context, how many people reading this thread have had their PS3 or Wii fail in such a manner?

Not a troll or anything, i'm just genuinely curious. Were'nt there some reports of these consoles getting "bricked" when they tried to update or something?

no-one... because they're well put together solid pieces of consumer electronics (ok - probably exagerating). The 360 quality is an absoloute disgrace. I'm furious that mines has done this. Of course, I'll get it replaced and play good games on it - but, frankly, I'm appaled.

My brother is deciding this week whether to get a PS3 or 360 for Christmas. I'll be recommending the PS3 - EAT THAT MICROSOFT!

:wub:

I've had the odd issue with my PS3, here is the complete list:

The forum scripts seem not to work with it, and since the 2.0 firmware update I've had it hang on the browser (with the MP3 player running merrily in the background) when I use the Forum Jump option.

I've also had one lock-up on start-up (about a month ago, with no other ill effects) for no specific reason.

One case of it locking up when I tried to quit a game two seconds after starting it via the PS button (which is probably my own stupid fault for getting over-excited), but that was in June and I've never had a game-related lock-up since.

All of that seems to be due to minor software gremlins. The hardware is seemingly indestructible. I've ran mine for upwards of 12 hours a day at points (for teh F@H points, natch) without so much as a grumble.

"To try & put this in some kind of context, how many people reading this thread have had their PS3 or Wii fail in such a manner?"

Hi Jarek, my launch 360 died the week before bioshock was released, but it gave me an excuse to buy an Elite, and trade in my returned 360 for credit in game when it was returned.

While I agree that it wasnt ideal that the 360 went belly up, BUT, my lovely wife bought me a launch PS3, and I am on my 3rd PS3, as the first two failed after 2 days operation. The first issue was no screen on the HDMI, despite changing all the settings. The second was it simply didnt turn on. Sony were ok, but just said take it to game, and they will replace it.

With the 360, you can easily recover your gamertag, and swop your harddrive. With the PS3, with all the firmware updates etc, it takes a long time to bring it back to how you want it.

My point is, I have had more problems with my PS3, than with my 360. And recovery time is easier for a 360 than PS3.

They should all be working 100% though, but when you have manufactured over 10 million consoles, something will go wrong from time to time.

Cheers

Alan

"To try & put this in some kind of context, how many people reading this thread have had their PS3 or Wii fail in such a manner?"

Hi Jarek, my launch 360 died the week before bioshock was released, but it gave me an excuse to buy an Elite, and trade in my returned 360 for credit in game when it was returned.

While I agree that it wasnt ideal that the 360 went belly up, BUT, my lovely wife bought me a launch PS3, and I am on my 3rd PS3, as the first two failed after 2 days operation. The first issue was no screen on the HDMI, despite changing all the settings. The second was it simply didnt turn on. Sony were ok, but just said take it to game, and they will replace it.

With the 360, you can easily recover your gamertag, and swop your harddrive. With the PS3, with all the firmware updates etc, it takes a long time to bring it back to how you want it.

My point is, I have had more problems with my PS3, than with my 360. And recovery time is easier for a 360 than PS3.

They should all be working 100% though, but when you have manufactured over 10 million consoles, something will go wrong from time to time.

Cheers

Alan

You're only the second forumite that I know of (or can remember) with PS3 issues, t.b.f...

I'm not convinced I agree with your police work there. A new PS3 is going to require, what, a video settings run through, PSN account linkage, maximum of one firmware download and a redownload of any Store content. Other than the fact that 360 has a removable HDD (so you don't need to redownload - although then XBLA won't work offline?), that can't be very different to 360 (where I guess it's video settings, Live account link, dash update).

And if you've got any kind of removable storage around the house, you can take a backup of the HDD on PS3 at a button press, bypassing that issue.

Cheers

Alan

Soooo what you're saying is that MS knew their console was bit like shit? :P