IGNORED

Xbox Live Market Place

Shepperton

No it isn't. The online play in the demo is fantasticly smooth. Maybe your hatred of all games has seeped from your eyeballs into everything you touch. Try being less negative.

I don't hate EVERYTHING :)

The game I had this morning was laggy as hell, though. Maybe my connection was borked...

Has anyone found any way to either save in the demo or skip the initial cut scene?

I keep dying and having to sit through the intro again. Argh!

And I got one online game in and then every time I tried to join a game it timed out.

Not the best first impressions.

The game I had this morning was laggy as hell, though. Maybe my connection was borked...

I'm gonna say yes. Also the framerate in the demo isn't game breaking at all. A few slight hiccups but nothing major* and yes I am fussy. You had any trouble with other games, maybe your HDD is cream crackered.

*check out the FIFA replays for 5fps glory.

So bizarre...

Weird. Might be something to do with it being scaled down to 480i or something?

It may be down to slight differences in hardware as well as individual tollerence levels, I've never suffered from motion sickness when playing first person games for example, maybe if I had I would notice framerate problems.

I'm gonna say yes. Also the framerate in the demo isn't game breaking at all. A few slight hiccups but nothing major* and yes I am fussy. You had any trouble with other games, maybe your HDD is cream crackered.

*check out the FIFA replays for 5fps glory.

Naah, everything off the HDD's been fine. Except the good ol' FIFA 5fps action, of course.

Played the Quake 4 demo last night, the frame rate is 'ok', the main problem is that it fluctuates rather than keeping steady which doesn't do it any favours. It's acceptable...just.

The online game though appears to be lag free though, little or no difference from the PC version which I have. Sounds like you (or someone else) had connection problems at the time of playing the game Meh.

Yes. The graphics are rubbish. Can you not see how fucking generic sci-fi they look? TEH WARTORRRRN!

See. I dunno. As opposed to the generic football graphics etc that appear in other games ? I LOVE Quake4's environments, the start stuff is pretty simple, but the stuff I'm doing now - in the towers sections of the full game, they're nothing short of gobsmacking.

Mutilated bits of torso, still squirming buried in the Strogg machinery. Check. Muffled screams from the bits of humans they're using as machine assists. Check.

Horrible big hooks carrying dead marines and dropping em down waste chutes.

Vats of human blood.

Magic. Makes me wanna kill em all. Which is what I'm doing.

:)

I was initially very disappointed with the Quake 4 demo, but when you get inside the framerate gets higher and it was actually pretty enjoyable. It's a shame the framerate is so inconsistent though, it drops a lot in a couple of places.

The gun sounds are brilliant though, especially the reload sounds effects! And the opening of the intro made me smile <_<

Ok, i do agree that Quake 4 has a less than perfect Framerate and from my experiences of the demo, the framerate fluctuates enough to put me off. But it just goes to show how odd this place is. Quake 4 has a slightly dipping framerate and people here are like "IT's SHIT! OH MY EYES!!1!!" but when Half Life 2 xbox came out people were like " I don't notice any frame rate problems, what are you talking about?". And HL2 xbox is unplayable. Just goes to show that people here try to convince themselves that somethings are acceptable when they most evidently are not. ;p

Well HL2 xbox is hardly unplayable. Just finished the q4 demo in 720p and..well its jerky as fuck. Enjoyable if massively derivative but definitely a technical shambles. An optimised dreamcast conversion could be better than this effort.

q4's problem is going from seemingly 60fps occasionally down to 10. Stick with 30 ffs.

It shouldnt have been released in that state though surely.

Oh and can a demo with no age lock in it have the marines saying 'shit'. /phones Sun newspaper.

Condemed - the demo also has strange problems, when you are walking it seems like your on an elastic band that keeps breaking, so you struggle to move forward then ping forward a bit, then struggle some more. Also when he walks up any stairs he gallops up them with a funny sound effect to match.

Condemed - the demo also has strange problems, when you are walking it seems like your on an elastic band that keeps breaking, so you struggle to move forward then ping forward a bit, then struggle some more.

Is that when he's on his mobile? If so, you're meant to be fixed in an enclosed area so you dont run into trouble while chatting.

Ok, i do agree that Quake 4 has a less than perfect Framerate and from my experiences of the demo, the framerate fluctuates enough to put me off. But it just goes to show how odd this place is. Quake 4 has a slightly dipping framerate and people here are like "IT's SHIT! OH MY EYES!!1!!" but when Half Life 2 xbox came out people were like " I don't notice any frame rate problems, what are you talking about?". And HL2 xbox is unplayable. Just goes to show that people here try to convince themselves that somethings are acceptable when they most evidently are not. ;p

HL2 had some issues with the frame-rate, yeah, but at least it didn't always fall to shit whenever you journeyed into a room bigger than a tunnel.

It's a 360. It's supposed to be a BEAST. I demand my 60fps.

I gave up on HL2 as soon as the tain pulled into the station the framerate was that bad.

I haven't played Q4 on the 360 but if some people are saying that the framerate is unplayable yet they didn't notice the 20fps jerkathon that HL2 was then they are clearly kidding themselves.

hl2 is fairly consistent. q4 is all over the shop. play it past the 'tain' mate its great, you're denying yourself a good time.

Oh I've played it all the way through (twice actually, just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with me after I hated it on the first play-through). It bored me to death so I was only playing it on the Xbox to see what the framerate was like, even in the station at the start it was like a slideshow so I didn't want to stay to the first battle to see how worse it got.

The framerate for both games (HL2 & Q4) are downright unacceptable.

I do agree with the point that maybe Quake 4 is the more offensive, as one will have just bought an expensive new 360 console that is a beast in the performance department and you would AT LEAST expect it to match the PC version in terms of technical performance ( like COD2), but it doesn't.

In fact it is woefully shite & the fuckers have the cheak to charge DOUBLE THE PRICE of the PC version! cunts!