Dammit, I've just finished Season 3 of the shield. I've not going to manage the next 4 seasons in 12 days. I'm going to have to watch it on All4 aren't I? That's going to suck.

Argh!

All4 makes me feel justified in paying what is a reasonable amount for Amazon Prime (even if I resent making Jeff Bezos any more powerful). This was a few years ago but when the notion of catch-up services like All4 having full box-sets on them was novel I just fancied getting stuck into Peep Show from the start, but literally 4 minutes of ads at the start and constant unskippable interruptions made me go elsewhere. Can I assume it hasn't got any better in recent years?  

1 hour ago, Skull Commander said:

A word of warning for anyone midway through The Shield (like me), that it appears to be leaving on March 31st. I believe it's still on All 4 though (from a Google search). 

OH SHIT. Thanks for the warning! All 4 is an abomination.

1 hour ago, Skull Commander said:

A word of warning for anyone midway through The Shield (like me), that it appears to be leaving on March 31st. I believe it's still on All 4 though (from a Google search). 

Fucks sakes, how long was that around for? 

That feels like they're taking the piss a bit - if they're gonna have stuff come and go in such short durations, they need to be fully transparent about how long people have. 

17 minutes ago, Vimster said:

All4 makes me feel justified in paying what is a reasonable amount for Amazon Prime (even if I resent making Jeff Bezos any more powerful). This was a few years ago but when the notion of catch-up services like All4 having full box-sets on them was novel I just fancied getting stuck into Peep Show from the start, but literally 4 minutes of ads at the start and constant unskippable interruptions made me go elsewhere. Can I assume it hasn't got any better in recent years?  

They now offer an ad-free subscription service for four quid a month, which I think is actually pretty reasonable if you've got a couple of series you want to burn through over a few weeks. There's even a 14-day free trial.

I'm almost at the end of season 4 and have been watching it most nights, yet only noticed the warning it was going yesterday. It kinda feeds into the gamepass chat about suitable timescales for services to tell you that content is going, but half a month isn't really good enough notice for something that has over 70 hours of viewing to get through the entire show. 

36 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Fucks sakes, how long was that around for? 

That feels like they're taking the piss a bit - if they're gonna have stuff come and go in such short durations, they need to be fully transparent about how long people have. 

Fully agree with this. I had Halt & Catch Fire on my watch list presuming I'd be able to watch it when I fancied and then it disappeared (unless I want to buy it). They should have a "This series will leave the service on..." notice against everything they have limited rights for.

5 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Fully agree with this. I had Halt & Catch Fire on my watch list presuming I'd be able to watch it when I fancied and then it disappeared (unless I want to buy it). They should have a "This series will leave the service on..." notice against everything they have limited rights for.

They sort of do, the For A Limited Time On Prime section under Categories will show things that are about to leave, but frankly that's not good enough. If Amazon thinks that people will go "oh it's gone from Prime, guess I'll just pay £1.99 per episode then" they are having a bubble. 

They should have a strip under the title that says something like "Leaving Prime on ..." and give at the very least a month's notice. I don't know how long they negotiate the terms for but they have this information, there's absolutely no reason not to let people know. 

3 minutes ago, Vimster said:

They sort of do, the For A Limited Time On Prime section under Categories will show things that are about to leave, but frankly that's not good enough. If Amazon thinks that people will go "oh it's gone from Prime, guess I'll just pay £1.99 per episode then" they are having a bubble. 

They should have a strip under the title that says something like "Leaving Prime on ..." and give at the very least a month's notice. I don't know how long they negotiate the terms for but they have this information, there's absolutely no reason not to let people know. 

An email based on things you've added to your watchlist would be good. I get a regular email about things that have just arrived on there, nut having a section in that personalised around your watchlist and things that are leaving would be helpful too.

9 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Now TV does stuff like that so it will say "available until April 30th" or "available for the next 20 days" etc.  Not sure how close to expiry something has to get before the info appears but think it at least a couple of months.  Don't think they send notification emails based on your watchlist though which is a shame

Just for the sake of an intellectual exercise I've been trying to think of any contractual clauses that could result in a streaming service being surprised and having to pull a show earlier than expected. Have to say, the only fringe-situation I can possibly think of is if they are having to pay the studio a flat-rate per day that a show is hosted, but after a while decide they arent getting the viewing figures to justify it and pull the plug (not that dissimilar to their customers binning off their streaming subscriptions, lol).

Can't imagine that being the case though.

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

All 4 is terrible, the worst streaming service I have ever used.  Think I tried to watch 1 show on it and vowed never to use it again :lol:

Indeed. 

I was happily bumbling through one of my too frequent rewatches of All Of Seinfeld on Prime a little while ago only for it to be yanked from the service only to resurface on All4.

So, nope, I'll just need to wait until the rights merry go round brings it to Netflix. 

I did try it for a few minutes and now receive notifications every few days about whatever shit they are showing so I'll need to delete the app. 

10 hours ago, FishyFish said:

I was on the last episode of season 2 when they did that. So annoying.

On 19/03/2021 at 13:16, Skull Commander said:

Oh shit. We’re on season 4. Never finish in two weeks.  

1 hour ago, The Hierophant said:

Oh shit. We’re on season 4. Never finish in two weeks.  

Oh man. Season 5 is SO GOOD, at least get to the end of that before deciding what to do about the rest.

21 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Oh man. Season 5 is SO GOOD, at least get to the end of that before deciding what to do about the rest.

I’ve already resolved to:

On 19/03/2021 at 14:34, Garwoofoo said:

They now offer an ad-free subscription service for four quid a month, which I think is actually pretty reasonable if you've got a couple of series you want to burn through over a few weeks. There's even a 14-day free trial.

pay £4 a month and watch on All4

On 19/03/2021 at 13:16, Skull Commander said:

Ah, what?  I'm only 3 episodes into season 2!

I should reach the end of season 6 tonight (it's only 10 eps, apparently), so I'm on track to make it to the end before the 31st. So far it's definitely a dip in quality, but season 5 was SUCH a powerhouse that I can't really complain.

On 22/03/2021 at 08:01, The Hierophant said:

I’ve already resolved to:

pay £4 a month and watch on All4

Hmmm, might want to revise that.  We're on season 7 and will 0robably finish it (if the wife can stay awake past 9.00) but was just having a look on the all4 app.

Looks like the whole series is leaving there as well in a weekScreenshot_20210323-182924.thumb.jpg.9b3c3cd4441edb4e08f4175f222f0beb.jpg

16 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Like everyone else I'm still through a watch of The Shield - only on the second season, so this sucks.

I presume it's going to Disney if it's a Fox thing?

No clear answer regarding ownership on wiki. Under production companies we have the following:

MiddKid Productions
Columbia TriStar Domestic Television (season 1)
Sony Pictures Television (seasons 2–7)
Fox Television Studios
The Barn Productions

Less than clear where it could be off to. 

On 23/03/2021 at 18:32, Deeptone said:

Hmmm, might want to revise that.  We're on season 7 and will 0robably finish it (if the wife can stay awake past 9.00) but was just having a look on the all4 app.

Looks like the whole series is leaving there as well in a week

Ahh shit. We’ve just finished season 4. We only watch an hour or two of telly a night. Not sure if we’ll make it through Season 5!

Season 7 is off to an absolutely amazing start after the slight dip of season 6 (though a ‘slight dip’ after one of the best seasons of TV I’ve ever seen shouldn’t be taken as too much of a negative comment). Seems that S6 set up some compelling new dominoes to fall... this is going to be a wild ride. I can do it!