On 26/03/2021 at 20:48, James Lyon said:

Is The Shield definitely going now? I'm looking on its page and I can't seem to see the notification anymore.

I noticed that the notification is gone too. I don't know if this means they have perhaps stumped up for the rights a bit longer. We can hope. 

I have finished The Shield. Amazing stuff - it leaps straight into my top 5 shows of all time and I absolutely did not predict the ending! (The one minor annoyance was how the final 2 eps somehow returned to the bad picture quality of when I started watching it at the start of the year. I dunno if that’s due to there not being an HD version of the final 2-parter or something. I presume it originally aired as one long ep, and maybe something screwy is up because of that. Anyway, it’s definitely only those 2 eps that are bad... I went back to check earlier ones and they remain the new versions!)

8 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I have finished The Shield. Amazing stuff - it leaps straight into my top 5 shows of all time and I absolutely did not predict the ending! (The one minor annoyance was how the final 2 eps somehow returned to the bad picture quality of when I started watching it at the start of the year. I dunno if that’s due to there not being an HD version of the final 2-parter or something. I presume it originally aired as one long ep, and maybe something screwy is up because of that. Anyway, it’s definitely only those 2 eps that are bad... I went back to check earlier ones and they remain the new versions!)

Well done for finishing and glad you liked it. Wild ride eh?

In the US it was one extended episode, which in my opinion was better than the UK edit. The two partner is still one of the greatest ever TV show endings but some of the impact was lost in the edit. 

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

Well done for finishing and glad you liked it. Wild ride eh?

In the US it was one extended episode, which in my opinion was better than the UK edit. The two partner is still one of the greatest ever TV show endings but some of the impact was lost in the edit. 

Were there any additional scenes?

46 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Were there any additional scenes?

Yeah there were a few cut scenes through season 5 and 7, I seem to remember the final episode of season 5 in the US being an extended episode but a standard length in the UK. However, I didn't feel that you really missed out on whatever was cut (I don't remember the exact details!). On the final episodes of season 6 it's more about the order of events, without trying to spoil anything... the end of the penultimate episode in the UK occurs towards the end of the US extended episode. A few sub-plots also have an extended period to build rather than being squeezed into one or the other episodes.  It provided more of a crescendo of the various story threads rather than splitting it into two.

The US cut is definitely the better one but there's not a lot to it. 

4 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Yeah there were a few cut scenes through season 5 and 7, I seem to remember the final episode of season 5 in the US being an extended episode but a standard length in the UK. However, I didn't feel that you really missed out on whatever was cut (I don't remember the exact details!). On the final episodes of season 6 it's more about the order of events, without trying to spoil anything... the end of the penultimate episode in the UK occurs towards the end of the US extended episode. A few sub-plots also have an extended period to build rather than being squeezed into one or the other episodes.  It provided more of a crescendo of the various story threads rather than splitting it into two.

The US cut is definitely the better one but there's not a lot to it. 

That will be interesting for me to hunt down, then. Cheers! Also explains why it wasn't remastered, which presumably only happened to the US cut.

Really glad so many new people are enjoying this. It's my favorite show ever. So many great characters, and the way the music is usually coming from a car or a radio or a house rather than scored is cool to me.

It's been ripped off a bit since it's release and could seem clichè now, but it was one of the originators of grey area policing 

Regarding Prime and its possible removal it's pretty shit, I bought the complete dvd set from hmv a few years ago and I know it's maybe unfashionable I prefer disc as its mine forever! 

3 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I’ve just checked and it still seems to be on Prime. Hopefully not an April Fool. 

That would be amazing as I only have the final season left to watch and didn't want to resort to "other means". 

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Now on to Justified - mainly to see more Walton Goggins, but I hear it's good so yay.

Justified is brilliant. The first series is baddie-of-the-week for the first 2/3s but then they abandon that for the rest of the programme's run.

The end of The Shield's got to be the best ending in TV, hasn't it?

1 hour ago, PK said:

The end of The Shield's got to be the best ending in TV, hasn't it?

I'd maybe still go for Sapphire and Steel by a nose, but no TV show did a better job of crafting its home straight than The Shield.

What version of the s5 finale is on Prime? Definitely worth seeking out the extended version of that if it’s the short version we were numbered with in the UK. 

What a show though. I live in hope for a sequel series one day. 

14 hours ago, Madness said:

What version of the s5 finale is on Prime? Definitely worth seeking out the extended version of that if it’s the short version we were numbered with in the UK. 

What a show though. I live in hope for a sequel series one day. 

I think the cut version is on prime. 

I've thought about a sequel before and it could work. Unfortunately the creator hadn't done much of worth since so I'm not holding out hope. He did another cop drama called Chicago Code, which was light weight fluff and didn't take long to get cancelled. 

You've then got one of the main writers, Kurt Sutter, who went onto do Sons of Anarchy (hence a few cross-overs in gang names, and pretty much the whole cast of The Shield appearing at some point), but he's bat-shit crazy making Sons a massively uneven show. Sometimes it was amazing, and other times you had an entire season set in "Ireland". 

I really think The Shield hit gold due to Ryan's ability to tell a story and Sutter's utter madness, both pushing each other or being reigned in appropriately. Without both of them returning I don't think it'll work. 

Plot wise there were a few threads they could pull on but I certainly never felt anything was missing from the show when it ended. 

Also interested in how the cast never hit the major league. Goggins crops up quite often but massively type-cast, though always brilliant, and I haven't seen Chiklis in anything for ages. Admittedly I don't watch Gotham which I believe he's in so maybe that's a major role. I remember after The Shield he did a terrible American sitcom which was basically a live action The Incredibles! Of course he was also in Fantastic Five, which was also terrible. 

1 hour ago, Skull Commander said:

Well the good news is that The Shield is still on Prime. I wonder if there was some 11th hour negotiations to extend the period of time they can show it or something? 

It may be no other service came in for the rights and Prime renewed. Or the rights were set to renew all along, but whatever content management system Prime uses didn’t override the renewal. Hence why an end date was visible to users when, if the series was set to renew, it shouldn’t have been shown as leaving the service. Usually just means someone along the data chain forgot to tick a box.

Speaking from experience, it, umm, happens.

My wife has just blitzed through the whole thing as she was worried it was going to drop off. I only dropped in and out and it seemed like all they ever did was go and raid people’s houses, which is probably a bit reductive of me. I did kind of get roped in for the last series and thought the ending was really well done. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished this thanks to it’s non disappearance from prime.  It was absorbing from beginning to end and it’s rare that the consequences of an action in the very first episode are still affecting the protagonists of a show at the end of a long run . I think, on reflection they got the ending right .