IGNORED

Your Gaming History?

hobo

Let's see...

First machine in the house would have been one of those Grandstand jobbies, with a selection of Pong clones. We never had a VCS, too poor for that!

When I was eight I asked for a computer for Christmas. My uncle had a Speccy 48+ which I was amazed by. I got an Electron. Mildly gutted though I was, I ploughed on through such thrills as Strike Force Harrier, Repton 2, The Boxer and Hopper. Dabbled a bit in super-limited BASIC program writing before flogging it off and getting a shiny new 48+.

The wonder years! All my friends at junior school were Spec-chums, playgrounds an intricate web of tape dealings. So many classics, but the standouts throughout those years:

Elite - naturally. A space game that really did feel infinite at the time. I don't know how long I played it for, but I was still playing it when I finally sold the Speccy aged 13.

The Great Escape

Sabre Wulf - made something of an impression on me...

The Magic Knight games - obsessed with these, I was. Made my own maps and solutions which I kept in a special ring binder, along with choice fan art ^_^

Tir Na Nog, Dun Darach, Marsport - like the MK games, fastidiously mapped by myself. How I wish I still had those things.

Turbo Esprit - hours spent just tearing around the cities as fast as possible. The fast turn at full speed into a six-lane road was always a winner.

The 'brain' games:

Tau Ceti

The Sentinel

Driller and Dark Side

Mercenary

Lords of Midnight

Definitely planted the seed of loving big gameworlds ripe for exploring, and the kind of games you could play for hours rather than bitesize chunks.

Terminus - a MAD game that I spent a long, long time with but never beat.

Chaos - still one of the best. Beautiful simplicity.

The Master System encroached on my Speccy time, but I could never afford games for it so I lived on loaners. I did become possibly the world's greatest Hang-On and Astro Warrior player because of this though. Lots of things came and went, but only two left an indelible mark:

Phantasy Star - the one that started it all. The first game I played for 8 hours solid, marvelling at the depth, the fact that your characters grew stronger as you progressed. When I got to the spaceport and discovered I could fly to a whole other planet I was in love forever. RPG love started right here. Mindblowing stuff.

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap - Perfectly formed and structured adventure. The thrill of being able to access a previously off-limits area was immense. Couple it with character growth and lots of equipment and I was hooked again.

Next came the Atari ST. Bye-bye to the Master System:

Dungeon Master - remains a top five favourite to this day. I honestly believe it to be a work of genius. A friend of mine lent it to me without having played it much, and upon listening to my subsequent evangelical rants gave it a proper go. Thus a years-long obsession was born. The admiration of the level design, the satisfaction of solving a real head-scratcher. The agonizing wait for Chaos Strikes Back...

Zak McKracken - introduced me to the new graphical adventure games. A long love affair was born.

The ST didn't get much love apart from that to be honest, because rather belatedly I'd discovered the C64 and the SID chip. The games music obsession had begun!

Aside from a few, I can't really say the C64 impressed me much as a games machine. I think beyond the Speccy I'd outgrown the simpler 8-bit stuff. But the music... my god. I'd load crap games just to listen to wonderful tunes. I'd tape them and listen to them on my walkman at school. Coming from a long line of sqwarky beeping machines this was like being presented with an orchestra. Those games that did impress, though:

Delta

Armalyte

Uridium

All three classic shmups, all three tough as nails. Never did very well in any of them, but I was happy to keep trying.

Cybernoid 1+2 - Ah, my element. Mappable games! And I did, with relish.

Mutants - Never really knew what was going on, but it contains my all-time favourite game tune.

Thrust - contains my second favourite.

Next came the PC Engine. As usual a great deal of selling went into funding the new machine, and after that I couldn't afford any more games. For months all I played was R-Type, to the extent that it became a kind of Zen exercise. I could almost literally play it without watching the screen. Luckily around this time my brother decided to find a job, and he decided that he liked buying PC Engine games!

Gunhed - blew me away. Only years later did I understand and appreciate the pedigree of this game. At the time I just knew it was a lovely looking, tough shmup with wicked music.

Splatterhouse - a guy in a hockey mask hitting things and making them... splatter. What else is there?

Vigilante - incredibly faithful conversion but a little dull really. I played the hell out of it though.

1989 brought with it - accompanied by angel trumpets and devil trombones - the Amiga. My favourite, favourite games machine, and the one that hold the most precious memories of one of the happiest periods of pure geekery in my life. The demoscene as much as the games. Red Sector, Alcatraz, Silents, Rebels, Phenomena... the list goes on. Once again fantastically good music made me fall in love, and the range of games was unbeatable. From a time where there were so many ideas, so many completely new things to play. Here's a few!

Tower of Babel - Hugely original tower puzzle game. I spent many hours painstaking working out each new challenge. But the best thing of all was the tower editor, being able to create your own intricate puzzles.

Carrier Command - I was rubbish at this, always have been when it comes to strategy I guess. Didn't stop me loving it though.

Damocles - Another solid live-in world

Kult - No idea what was going on, but it amused the hell out of me. Extreme Violence!

Starglider 2 - That moment when you hit lightspeed...

It Came from the Desert - Perfectly captured atmosphere and a great game on top. Loved escaping from the hospital especially.

Laser Squad - Smoother than the Speccy version, and an ace tune to help you along.

Millennium 2.2 - Micromanagement. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Shadow of the Beast - rubbish game, but look at the parallax!

Sensible Soccer - Never liked football at all, but this was pure gaming.

IK+ - The most fun I ever had with a beat 'em up.

Monkey Island 2 - Despite the 11 disks I had a whale of a time with this. Absolutely gorgeous in sight and sound and properly funny.

Frontier - a bold stretch. I remember follwing the diary in The One and falling over myself to get home with it. Technically both amazing and disappointing. I'm still waiting for that gap to be adequately filled.

Somewhere among all this the Megadrive and Super Famicom put in their first appearances, along with a very latecomer NES. On the NES:

Solar Jetman - best thing to ever appear on the console I reckon, and another map effort by myself (in a new low of obsessiveness I had to fly bit by bit round every level, pausing it and drawing the map as I went).

Super Mario Bros. 3 - I was never a big fan of the simple run-along mario, but this one added the whole adventure element and less linear structure. Got it for Christmas and played nothing else for a week until I'd finished it. Also bore my decidely non-infamous 25-minute solution.

On the Megadrive:

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

Super Shinobi - The music...

Phantasy Star II - completely punishing in every way, and I never did defeat the final boss.

Thunderforce III - Another shmup I played to perfection through sheer repetition.

On the SNES:

Super Mario World - 96 exits? Yes sir. Can never decide which is the best Mario between this and 64.

Secret of Mana - Completely captivating action RPG. Boss fights were always bollocks though. Hey guess what? Great music.

Mystical Ninja

Area 88

Pilotwings

F-Zero

Contra III

All examples of games that impressed the hell out of me for various reasons.

Bought a Playstation at launch, played Ridge Racer and Tekken like a maniac, then got incredibly bored of the whole thing so I sold it. Didn't touch another game until the N64 came along.

Super Mario 64 - well worth the price of admission. 118 stars though. Forever a blight on my gaming record.

Ocarina of Time - One Zelda game that I did finish, despite having a few periods of pure hatred. Worth the effort though for one of the most satisfying endings I'd yet seen.

Not much else on the N64 really ignited my passion really. I enjoyed enough of Conker and Banjo-Kazooie but I think I already knew that my heart wasn't in 3D platformers, and that I believed the best had been done already.

Winter 1997. Time to get back on the Playstation wagon, for Final Fantasy VII had arrived! That Christmas I didn't do anything else. It pained me to have to get up and fetch food. Never before had I been so completely - unhealthily - addicted to a game. I certainly got my money's worth. I shudder to think how many hours I actually put into it over the course of several play-throughs.

I did it again a couple of years later with Final Fantasy VIII :unsure:

Along with those the PS brought me my third golden age of gaming:

Metal Gear Solid - Stunning. Like playing through a greatest hits of gaming and movie moments.

Vagrant Story - Another top-fiver. I think this is perfection. A pinnacle of vision and execution.

Gran Turismo 2 - A bit beefier than the first, with a bunch of additional modes that edge it out in front.

R-Type Delta - The best in the series.

Resident Evil 2 - The best in the series.

Front Mission 3 - As usual I'm useless at this stuff, but the sheer attention to detail and density of the game had me playing for hours.

And belatedly:

Final Fantasy Tactics - Drives me insane but I love it.

Valkyrie Profile - Wish I'd cottoned onto this sooner, I'd have spent more of the last 5 years playing it.

Zanac X Zanac - So much fun.

Gradius Gaiden - Best in the series ?

What next? The following years are a bit of a jumble, as I reacquired old machines and games, sold them on, reacquired them, and so forth. What's happened broadly is my incredibly late arrival at the Saturn party:

Radiant Silvergun - Yes, it is that good.

Soukyugurentai - One day it's excellence will be properly recognised.

Battle Garegga - Too bloody hard, but bloody good.

Shining Force III - An unexpected treat for someone with very little patience these days.

Dreamcast:

Soul Calibur - The one reason I stumped up for one after months of indifference. I'm still wowed by it.

Phantasy Star Online - The number one spot. The best game experience I ever had.

Ikaruga - One day I'll get back on track for the 1CC. I was tantalisingly close at one point, then I just stopped playing it...

Space Channel 5 - ignored this for years then picked it up for a fiver when the DC was going down the pan. An instant favourite and my introduction into the beautiful world of music games.

Playstation 2. I resisted for a long time. Frequency broke my will and got me playing games again after another long break. Since then it's easily become my all-time number 2 games machine (counting backwards compatibility of course).

Gradius V - Played before Gaiden, this was the first time the series became fun for me, as well as an exciting challenge.

Rez - Art/not art wankery aside, a genuinely thrilling and beautiful experience.

Mushihimesama - My favourite of the CAVE shmups. Just seems lighter and more playable than the others (though I do admire those too).

Dragon Quest VIII - against all the odds this is edging in there. As old-school as it gets, yet entirely captivating and charming.

Sky Gunner - I really love this little gem. The PS2 struggles performance-wise, but the feeling of flying high coupled with some lovely design puts this high on my list.

Gamecube. As usual the Nintendo was bought at launch. Monkey Ball impressed and was fun for a long time but on the whole this machine never got much love. I guess it just doesn't house many of the kind of games I enjoy these days. I still have one and I'll still give the new Zelda a try, but I'm not terribly excited at the prospect. Still, it lengthened the life of PSO and for that it always holds a certain place in my heart.

Bought an XBox for no reason other than I could at the time. I ever struggled to find something I wanted to play on it. I ended up coming home with Panzer Dragoon Orta. Which disappointed me. Oh well... luckily I bit the bullet on my motion sickness and took Halo out for a whirl. It was well worth the regular discomfort. I just wish I could sit and play it properly for hours :(

Burnout 2 - One of the few games in recent years I completely... erm... completed. Crash Junctions in this version were just perfect.

DoA Extreme Beach Volleyball - Extreme case of Pool-hopping game addiction. Barely bothered with anything else.

Of course there have been the handhelds over the years too. Even though I've always had them (GameBoy, Lynx, Game Gear, GBA, SP, DS, PSP), I get the sneaking suspicion that handheld gaming isn't for me. I never put much into them.

Mainly I've moved onto the PC now. Between EVE, WoW (if I ever return), SCUMMVM, MAME, the perennially-critical-but-not-quite-dead adventure scene and the upcoming Phantasy Star Universe I'm pretty much set for real-life procrastination for a good few years. And there are plenty of little gems out there waiting to be found, like homebrew stuff or obscure but playable far eastern games (Falcom ftw!). It seems the best choice for getting back to those old days when having a world to explore at my own pace and having new things to do was so important to me.

My timeline of my main gaming machines...

Video Genie > Oric-1 > Spectrum+ > Amiga 500 > Amiga 1200 and Super NES > Nintendo 64 and PS1 > Gamecube and PS2.

My handheld timeline...

Atari Lynx > Game Boy > Game Boy Color > NGPC > Game Boy Advance > DS

...snip

Next came the Atari ST. Bye-bye to the Master System:

Dungeon Master - remains a top five favourite to this day. I honestly believe it to be a work of genius. A friend of mine lent it to me without having played it much, and upon listening to my subsequent evangelical rants gave it a proper go. Thus a years-long obsession was born. The admiration of the level design, the satisfaction of solving a real head-scratcher. The agonizing wait for Chaos Strikes Back...

Zak McKracken - introduced me to the new graphical adventure games. A long love affair was born.

The ST didn't get much love apart from that to be honest, because rather belatedly I'd discovered the C64 and the SID chip. The games music obsession had begun!

...snip.

I remember some game on the ST that was based around hover bikes and throwing nets over people taking drugs. I played that for hours.

The ST kicked arse for a while. Even the mighty Amiga a500 was second place.

I remember when I got my STe, I was physically shaking with excitement. That "Blitter chip!"(Seriously!) I got my first 'proper' job and purchased an Atari STe 512Meg of RAM from Keys catelogue! I paid well over the odd for it! But all I could afford was the purchase plan! Not the up front sum. It was something like £500.00

I used to be quite the fan because various bands like KLF, Altern8 and 808 State swore by the Atari ST (because of MIDI port support I guess) and I loved those bands.

Probably my favourite ST games were Lotus Challenge and Another World. Although I had the French version orginally. Thoughtfully supplied by the Pompey Pirates. :unsure:

You don't see much Sam Trameil love these days (I mean ST love.)

I wanted an a MEGA STe and a Falcon.

Will

Binatone 4 in 1 (Tennis (Pong), Football, Squash and Squash practice).

Grandstand cartridge based system

Atari VCS 2600

Colecovision

Commodore 64

Commodore Amiga 1000

Commodore Amiga 500

Super Famicom

Sony Playstation

Nintendo 64

Sega Dreamcast

Sony Playstation 2

Nintendo Gamecube

Microsoft Xbox

Sony PSP

Microsoft Xbox 360

I've owned a few other odds and sods, including a variety of Gameboys which I singularly fail to play. Other oddments include the odd retro purchase like the Atari 800, a PC engine etc., neither of which I currently own.

I'm pretty sure I got my first machine during the Christmas of '75.

Commodore PET > Atari 2600 > VIC-20 -> BBC Model B -> BBC Master -> Atari ST -> SNES -> 3DO -> PC -> Gameboy -> PS1 -> N64 -> Dreamcast -> Gamecube -> XBox -> PSP -> DS

Early Highlights:

Commodore PET:

This was the first computer I ever played with. The teachers at our primary school got some of the swotty kids to have a go on it because they couldn't work it out. I played a Noughts-and-Crosses game on it and had a look at the code. I didn't understand any of it at the time, but tried to change it nevertheless. When it ran again, it didn't work. I cacked myself. I didn't realise that the changes were only permanent when you saved the code back to tape (which I hadn't done).

Atari 2600:

Combat - playing this on Christmas Day with my brother, getting him stuck in one of the walls so I could blast him My first multi-player experience.

BBC Model B:

Hunchback - My first BBC game. So very simple, but required spot-on timing to get the jumps right.

Dare Devil Denis - I remember playing this on a week-long field trip to Anglesey when it rained. Again, a simple platformer trying to get your daredevil (Denis) over various obstacles on his motorbike.

Starship Command - An early precursor to Elite by Acornsoft.

Revs - I didn't get into this too much, but I remember how different (and to my childlike eyes, realistic) it was compared with something like, Pole Position, for example.

Repton - Incredibly addictive puzzler.

Elite - obviously. Playing this with my brother and his friend taking turns to jump from planet to planet.

Frak - a slow platformer but one with huge sprites, much bigger than anything I had seen before on the BBC.

Castle Quest - One of my favourite adventure games.

Atari ST:

Starglider - the first game I ever saw on the ST and the first sampled music I ever heard too. Coming from a BBC, I heard the Starglider opening music on a friend's ST and couldn't work out where the sound was coming from. I thought it must be on the stereo.

Xenon 2 - again the fantastic music drew me in.

Wonderland - a Magnetic Scrolls adventure game. I remember this one particularly because I had a solution for it printed in ST User magazine.

There are many, many more I could put down for the ST. It was probably a golden age for me and computing.

CJ

Hi,

i think i need 2 lists - systems i have owned and played properly [a] and also systems that i have just really collected

a

TV Games/ LCD handhelds > Spectrum 16k > Spectrum 48K > C64c > Megadrive > SNES > Amiga 32 > Playstation > Dreamcast > GBA > PS2 > GBASP > Xbox> NGC >Jamma/mame Cab

b

N64 > GB > Mastersystem > Amstrad GX 4000> Gamegear> NES > Saturn > Multimega > 32x > Jaguar > Spectrum +3

Game highlights on the journey:

Planetoids

Daley Thompsons Decathlon

Exolon

JSW 1

Trans AM

Hunters Moon

Monty on the run

Rainbow Islands

Batman the movie

Wonderboy in Monster Land

Sonic 1

Castle of Illusion

Golden Axe

Super Monaco GP 1

Super Mario World

Zelda ALTTP

Super Ghouls and Ghosts

Sim City

Street Fighter 2

Shadow of the beast 1 2 3

Ocarina of Time

Pilot Wings

F-Zero 64

Blast Corps

Tekken 2

Wipeout

Metal Gear Solid

Crazy Taxi

Le Mans 24 Hours

GTA 3

Fifa 2002

Outrun 2

Mario Kart DD

Super Monkey Ball

Halo

Asteroids

Donkey Kong

Scramble

Spy hunter

Track and Field

Double Dragon

Green Beret

Chase HQ

Bubble Bobble

Final Fight

Outrun

My gaming career started in 1989, with vague memories of a Spectrum +2a being bought, tested out and promptly sent back to the shop as my parents thought I was too young for it, as I was 3 at the time.

The early 90's consisted of me using 8-bit computers of the 80's - 10 years after everyone else did - I got through tons of Spectrum +2's (they break easily), a Vic-20 and a Plus/4. My 7th birthday in 1993 saw me getting a C64 complete with issue 35 of Commodore Format magazine (wow), and ordering Mayhem in Monsterland soon after.

I had many, many games for the above systems, as everyone at that time was getting rid of their cassettes for cartridges, and I became Oxfam's best customer.

In 1996 I got a lovely Amiga 500. Apart from making me addicted to most of Sensible's output, it introduced me to the demoscene.

I remember buying a mates Spectrum+ in 1998, as I still had tons of speccy games but no system to play them on!

In 1999 I borrowed an old 32X. It was on this that I first witnessed the greatest game ever made - Doom. I played that game like mad for months. Best summer ever.

Later on in 99 I finally bit the 3D bullet and bought a PS1, a PC in 2001, a better one in 2002, a PS2 in 2004 and a C64 in 2005.

I could have got a MD or snes back in the day, but I would have missed out on playing some of the greatest games ever made. (and saying i had a spectrum and c64 and i'm 19!)

machines bought and their order for me. didn't get the whole ST/Amiga thing i was into the 8-bit consoles at that time.

VIC 20, Spectrum+2, Master System, NES, MegaDrive, Super Famicom, PC Engine, Neo-Geo AES, SEGA Saturn, PlayStation, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, PC, Xbox 360 then to infinity and beyond!

Grandstand "Invader From Space" - From my Mum's Freemans catalogue!

Spectrum 48K - A friend of my Brother's used to bring this over every Wednesday after school and we whiled away many hours on Jetpac and Jet Set Willy. I seem to remember waiting on an island for some reason for hours on end?

Commodore 64 - My best mate's machine although he used to lend it to me. He had around a hundred games for this on cassette and I like to think of this as my golden age of gaming. Boulderdash, Impossible Mission, Iridium, Way of the Exploding Fist and so many others. Happy days of discovering girls and amazing graphics!

Megadrive - My first console that used to go around so many different houses after the pub for massive Streetfighter 2 sessions with a bit of Mortal Kombat for light relief. I loved Flashback and Another World with a passion.

Playstation - Bought for FF7 after playing it for two hours at a friends. Tomb Raider almost made me buy one many months before but hadn't quite swayed me. This was of course played as well as MGS (still the only one I have played), Soulblade and Gran Turismo.

Gameboy - Bought for playing on set of a film I worked on for seven months. Really can't remember what games I had, maybe Asteroids and Killer Instinct?

Xbox - After not having played any games for many years I happened to be working at Microsoft for a few days just after launch.

Since the Xbox I've picked up all the recent consoles and a fair few older ones.

Spectrum 48K Started out with the rubber key Spectrum, then it gave up on me and was replaced with a Spectrum +

Commodore 64 At some point I decided I wanted a commodore 64 as well, so went out to Laskys in Birmingham (they've long since gone) and got one.

Spectrum 128+2 After my Spectrum + blew up on me, I got the +2. We were quite big in the demo scene, so I had to have something to continue writing them on.

Sega Master System Got one after seeing screen shots & reviews in C&VG. Seemed amazing at the time!

Commodore Amiga Mainly for my interest in the demo scene.

Sega Megadrive (jap) got an imported megadrive cuz I didn't wanna wait ages for the UK release.

Super Nintendo Saw some of the games on a mates system, so ended up getting one.

Nintendo Gameboy Many hours spent on Gator Pinball!

Sega Saturn Cuz I just had to have Sega Rally!

Sony Playstation Well, it's just a machine that you had to have.

Nintendo 64 Another must-have, because of stuff like Zelda, etc!

Gameboy Advance Didn't actually get that much use because of the screen not being backlit!

Sega Dreamcast Well, I've always been a bit of a Sega fan, so I had to get one of these in the end. And as many people know, it's a class machine with some amazing titles!

Playstation 2 Because it's an essential purchase.

XBox another essential purchase.

Gameboy Advance SP Gave my Advance games a new lease of life!

Nintendo Gamecube I actually left it quite a while before I finally got one. But there are some class games which cannot be missed!

Nintendo DS Got one as soon as they were released in the UK. It's still getting loads of use! Too many addictive games. And Mario Kart is just essential!

mine was -

amstrad - atari - master system 2 - nintendo - mega drive - super nintendo - game boy - sega saturn - ps1 - nintendo 64 - game boy colour - game boy advance - ps 2 - game cube - x-box

here are some of the best games i ever played

resident evil (ps1 and remake)

resident evil 4

street fighter 3

pokemon yellow

initial d

castlevania 4

I can't believe that noone had an Acorn Electron! Was I alone?

I started with an Electron.

:( There were 2 of you!

Seriously though, one of my next door neighbours had an electron, so I gave it a look in, not too bad. I even managed to get my hands on a Vic 20 for games of a space invaders clone, which was on a cart and impressed me at the time (having never seen or used an Atari back then).

:)

Born in the 60s, I started off playing various arcade games in various places, so I usually think of myself starting around '75-76.

Otherwise, I used to bum around computer clubs and playing on other folks computers a lot; I loved computers but didn't come from a rich family. But I played a hell of a lot of games on them, and I reckon they formed a major part of my gaming background. So:

Early Space Wars, Pong, Night Driver, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Galaxians, Defender, etc. Pinball tables.

Home Pong, Commodore Pet, Ti99/4a, Atari 2600, Apple II, Beeb B, PC owned by various people but mostly commandeered by me.

Owned:

ZX81, Speccy, ST, PC, PS1, DC, GC

Lynx, GB, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS

Software highlights? Shoot, um, I must have played thousands of games in the last 30 years. Highlights include:

- Space Invaders, Asteroids, Tempest, Gauntlet, Star Wars in the arcade

- Mazogs and 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81

- Adventure (the text version) on just about any platform

- Chaos, RebelStar, Durrell's Lotus Esprit on the speccy

- Elite, Meteoroids and Scramble on the Beeb

- Wizardry 1 on the Apple

- Dungeon Master, Midwinter, Stunt Car Racer on the ST

- LucasArts adventures on various platforms, particularly Monkey Island 1 and 2, Sam N Max and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

- X-Wing, Ultima Underworld, early flight sims like Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and F19/F117A on the PC. Also Civilisation.

- Not many standout titles on the PS1; I have a soft spot for Driver, despite its flaws, and Final fantasy VII [Edit - I forgot Vib Ribbon]

- DC: SoulCalibur, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue . . . so much gaming goodness

Then we're out of the retro era, I guess.

Mate of mine had one, though its the only one I've ever seen. I borrowed it for a bit and knocked up some basic apps to support the rpg's we were playing at the time. Nice little machine. Not a huge game selection, but some classics snuck in there. Not quite sure how Exile managed to pass us by though.

Nice thread, it's got me thinking. Here's my history, with the year.

Game&Watch - 1980

Magnavox Odyssey 2 - 1983

Atari 2600 - 1983

PC - 1986

Famicom - 1990

Playstation - 1996

Dreamcast - 2000

PS2 - 2002

GBA - 2003

PSP - 2005

XBox - 2005

I missed the whole 16bit era, but that wasn't suprising considering I only got a Famicom in 1990! Actually looking at the list, I'm quite a slow adopter to gaming systems - 5 yrs behind on the Atari2600 and Magnavox Odyssey 2, 7 yrs on the Famicom, 3 yrs on the XBox. I'm catching up though - I got my PSP before the UK launch.

Amstrad CPC 464

Amiga 500

Gameboy

486 PC

Playstation

PS2

Gamecube

Dreamcast

Gameboy Advance

Xbox

Gameboy Advance SP

Nintendo DS

Incidentally, I think it's a real shame that today's kids will never really know the experience of seeing the gaming scene coming along in leaps and bounds. Looking back on the tape-loading 8-bit days, the jump to 16-bit was incredible... now we're in the 'next gen' era, I don't think we'll ever see the same kind of advances in technology.

Sure, graphics will get better, load times will decrease etc, but not to the extent that they used to. Unless we get some sort of workable Virtual Reality implementation, will anything really be that much more impressive than today's machines?

Spectrum 48k rubber key

Some sort of MSX my uncle gave me

CPC 464 (green screen :( but did get a tv modulator :ph34r: )

Megadrive

Amstrad GX4000 :(

Atari 520 STE

Playstation

Celeron 333 PC

Gameboy Advance

Playstation 2

Xbox

Gamecube

PSP

Highlights:

Exolon on the CPC - 1st game I ever clocked.

Ranger X and Gunstar Heroes on the MD.

Carrier Command on the ST.

Flight of the Intruder on the ST (after a 512k ram upgrade).

Halo

PGR 2

Resi 4

Call of Duty 2 on 360

Incidentally, I think it's a real shame that today's kids will never really know the experience of seeing the gaming scene coming along in leaps and bounds. Looking back on the tape-loading 8-bit days, the jump to 16-bit was incredible... now we're in the 'next gen' era, I don't think we'll ever see the same kind of advances in technology.

So true...still....we can eh?

It wasn't just the videogame revolution either - the movies also underwent a revolution, what with Lucas and Spielberg showing everyone how its done - stuff like Jaws, SW, Close Encounters and E.T.

Then there was the classic Computer films like Wargames, Tron, Last Starfighter - all connected to the arcade and videogames we were playing at the time.

Although some of us didn't know it then, they were fantastic times.

1978 Merlin handheld

1982 Grandstand electronic tabletop game called Scramble

1982 Nintendo Game & Watch

1982/1983 ZX Spectrum 48K

1996/1997 Apricot PC

1997 Playstation

1998 Nintendo N64

14/10/99 Sega Dreamcast

24/11/00 Sony PS2

20/6/01 Nintendo GBA

7/7/01 Packard Bell PC

15/10/01 Sega Megadrive

6/11/01 Sega Victor Saturn (JAP)

15/1/02 Neo Geo Pocket Colour

15/3/02 Microsoft Xbox

3/5/02 Nintendo Gamecube (PAL)

15/8/02 Nintendo Gamecube (US)

25/12/04 Nintendo SP

21/04/05 Nintendo DS

1/09/05 Sony PSP

Spectrum highlights for me:

Manic Miner

Jet Set Willy

Starquake

Commando

All Ultimate Play the Game titles

Finders Keepers

Bruce Lee

Booty

Match Day

Lords of Midnight

Heavy on the Magick

Way of the Exploding Fist

Trashman.

Saboteur.

Colossal Adventure, Adventure Quest, Dungeon Adventure

I sort of had one. I borrowed it for a while from a not interested in computers mate. I remember Elite, Commando and some racing game. The thing I remember most about the Electron was its bloody beeping when it was switched on. Especially after my mother had explicitly said something along the lines of, "I hope you're not playing on that bloody computer", to which I would naturally lie. Only to be snitched on by the 400 decibel klaxon horn that was the internal speaker. - My first ever hardware hack.

Will

16bit to 32bit was a hell of a leap too. Dawn of the CD. I think this current one - PS2 -->PS3, Xbox -->360 etc., seems to be the weakest. IMHO they are killing off these systems way-to-soon. Even the PS2 can still amaze. I think the result of this is that next generation is insufficiently ahead to offer any shock and awe. Or if they had not bothered with this last gen and stayed PS1 until 360 or something...

Although, I believe and I maybe wrong, that the DS will be the subject of much reminiscence in the future. Hell, I never owned a handheld in nearly 20 years of gaming (unless you count Munchman and Astrowars) and now we have 2 DS's in this house.

Will

So true...still....we can eh?

It wasn't just the videogame revolution either - the movies also underwent a revolution, what with Lucas and Spielberg showing everyone how its done - stuff like Jaws, SW, Close Encounters and E.T.

Then there was the classic Computer films like Wargames, Tron, Last Starfighter - all connected to the arcade and videogames we were playing at the time.

Although some of us didn't know it then, they were fantastic times.