Aliens: Special Edition

choddo

• 6 months later...

Re. Brett and the alien - you have to try and put that shot in context, though. Remember, up until that point, the viewer isn't supposed to have seen the creature yet so a quick 2 second shot of some chains and strange 'machinery' swaying in the breeze doesn't necessarily imply death. Because we've seen these things for almost 30 years, we know now what it they look like and so on but it wouldn't necessarily be too great a surprise killer on an original viewing.

Exactly how I feel. I got a massive grin on my face when I saw that in the cinema.

That said, I don't like most of the other changes. Especially cutting the "what are my chances?" scene, for god's sake.

Aye, the first shot's like that too - looks like he's decided to recolour it to match modern orange and blue expectations. But it still looks an awful lot better than I thought it would (although my real issue with those shots is the hugely exaggerated contrast levels on the last one as well as the colour shift - Aliens was always quite a 'flat'-looking film, and it seems they've decided to crush a lot of shadow detail to try to make it 'pop' a lot more).

But you can't really tell until you've seen the actual product. Pre-order maintained!

This was the first director's cut I remember being released and, along with Blade Runner, the only one that's justified by actually adding positively to the original.

Can't wait for the blu-ray, the DVD version's pretty shoddy.

Edit: As the blu-ray's a Fox release it's guaranteed to be region-locked. The US Amazon version's almost £30 more than Amazon UK, not including p&p. Bollocking US PS3. :(

I don't really understand why the third one's so reviled, it's great. Some reasonably scary bits and the "run away closing doors" plan is shit but a is a pretty exciting sequence

The fourth one doesn't exist obviously

The third is a bastard storywise - pulled together from drafts with Ripley in and without, Vincent Ward's monks, then the prison planet stuff. It's even got William Gibson's barcodes in it. Sets were built before the story was really done. It was a huge mess and I'd love to see the Fincher doc that they cut from the Quadrilogy.

EDIT - I didn't know David Twohy did the prison draft! From wikipedia - "His version featured a prison planet, which was being used for illegal experiments on the aliens for a Biological Warfare division. The screenplay details how inmates on death row were mock executed in a gas chamber, while actually being kept alive and being used as bait in experiments with the Alien. Examples included breach testing, where the Alien would be videotaped using scientific high speed cameras as it searched for - and found - the weakest part of a structure with a human bait inside, broke through and attacked the victim..."

The third one's a mess, but it's a brilliant, daring mess. And it's actually funny and actually tragic, and actually poetic. I think in the circumstances it's quite an achievement.

And, yes, that shot Paulando posted is probably, like it or not, the most iconic of the whole series. Must mean something...