Aliens: Special Edition

choddo

As a scene, I'd agree that it does, yes (and many others would trump it, too). But as a shot - as in a still that illuminates about the core dynamic of the series - I'd say that's the one.

The best icon that's not actually even a shot from the films is on the poster for the first film: just an alien egg in space. No action, just that. It's cracking.

The third is a bastard storywise - pulled together from drafts with Ripley in and without, Vincent Ward's monks, then the prison planet stuff. It's even got William Gibson's barcodes in it. Sets were built before the story was really done. It was a huge mess and I'd love to see the Fincher doc that they cut from the Quadrilogy.

EDIT - I didn't know David Twohy did the prison draft! From wikipedia - "His version featured a prison planet, which was being used for illegal experiments on the aliens for a Biological Warfare division. The screenplay details how inmates on death row were mock executed in a gas chamber, while actually being kept alive and being used as bait in experiments with the Alien. Examples included breach testing, where the Alien would be videotaped using scientific high speed cameras as it searched for - and found - the weakest part of a structure with a human bait inside, broke through and attacked the victim..."

Elements of the Twohy draft ended up in Chronicles of Riddick.

It's like I don't even know who you are any more.

Anyway, most iconic shots are definitely that, the poster egg, the jockey and the power loader. Possibly the greatest crime of the fourth film is that there isn't even a memorable shot in it.

The slow dolly shot into the Ripley clone as she rapidly ages in the incubation tube, perhaps?

You're right, it's a bit of a stretch.

Damn. It's saying something when despite being filmed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the film doesn't even look all that great.

EDIT - I didn't know David Twohy did the prison draft! From wikipedia - "His version featured a prison planet, which was being used for illegal experiments on the aliens for a Biological Warfare division. The screenplay details how inmates on death row were mock executed in a gas chamber, while actually being kept alive and being used as bait in experiments with the Alien. Examples included breach testing, where the Alien would be videotaped using scientific high speed cameras as it searched for - and found - the weakest part of a structure with a human bait inside, broke through and attacked the victim..."

I read that script a little while ago, and while that's an incredible premise on paper, it accounts to the quick setup of a very boring, formulaic aliens-on-the-loose movie. The four Alien movies we have, mercifully managed to have a "hook". I think that's what was missing from all the rejected Alien 3 drafts.

• 3 months later...
Looks like the Blu-Ray anthology set is out

http://www.blockbuster.co.uk/product/blu_ray/alien_anthology_box_set/253111.htm?PID=3472860&mpch=ads

Can someone buy it (it's under £30) and post how ace it is, then I can justify it to myself.

Ta

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=138231&view=findpost&p=7468625 and subsequent discussions.

EDIT: Ah, but I see you've ordered it anyway. It's pretty much impossible to be disappointed by the package overall unless you're hyper nitpicky.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this on Blu-ray tonight. It's fucking stunning - so much texture and vibrancy and the picture is pin-sharp.

I'll be watching it over Christmas once my surround sound's back up (room's been moved around so I need to rejig my setup). Really looking forward to it - took a peek, and the PQ's stunning compared to previous transfers.

The Vincent Ward script - monks vs Alien on wooden asteroid - is much loved by nerds, but it's a fucking terrible script. Some lovely ideas, and the potential for some great imagery, but as a story it made no sense at all, and had some really wooden - I am funny! - sequences. The end was particularly bollocks; IIRC, Ripley turns out to have an alien queen inside her, as in the produced script, but instead of immolating herself to prevent the company from getting its hands on it, she takes some monk-made purgative, and pukes the alien embryo out. Literally.

The Gibson script isn't much cop either, Hicks and Newt are in it which is nice, but then it has stupidity like the Aliens becoming an airborne virus.

Haha, nice one. Seriously though, you seem to have made a mistake with your typing at the end there.