Cosmic Smash

acidbearboy

Space Tennis, yeah!!

cos04.jpg

cos06.jpg

I took the oppurtunity to have a quick blast on this last week while the DC was out for some Sambaness.

Lovely, lovely game. And the boxart is :blink:

cosmicsmash.jpgcosmicsmash_back.jpg

I had a little look online for the soundtrack but couldn't find anything. Anybody know if one was released?

I found this image, don't know if it's a cd cover or a normal sized sleeve for the game

(I thought it only came in the limited dvd style package though).

package_l.gif

Ignoring the arobatics and the 3rd-person view, that first screen reminds me of The Light Corridor, by (or from) Infrogrames on the Amiga. A fairly relaxing 3-D wireframish first-person corridor-based future tennis derivative. That's right, another one. Not really great, though. I got it on the cheap from an old cash-and-carry place that used to sell end-of-line stuff, in the Amiga's latter days.

Ignoring the arobatics and the 3rd-person view, that first screen reminds me of The Light Corridor, by (or from) Infrogrames on the Amiga. A fairly relaxing 3-D wireframish first-person corridor-based future tennis derivative. That's right, another one. Not really great, though. I got it on the cheap from an old cash-and-carry place that used to sell end-of-line stuff, in the Amiga's latter days.

I remember that too!

(just keeping you company)

I remember that too!

Thank God someone does, as that's another memory I can put on the "actually happened" pile.

I also remember it had a really weird speech sample at the start of the game that said "Welcome to the light corridor", but in a kind of stoned, Netherlandish English-as-a-second-language way.

"Weeelcome to zer laaiiiight goridooooor..."

After two or three games I soon got in the habit of saying it along with the game - a trend that continues to this day as I sit in front of the TV screaming "Snake? Snake? SNAAAAAKE!"

Got that on the Speccy, twas on a cover cassette IIRC. I thought it was all right.

Never played Cosmic Smash though even though it has been recommended to me a million times over. "You like Rez?", "Yeah", "Oh, you gotta get Cosmic Smash then too!". Yeah, 'cos it's an on-rails music based shooter and everything, right?

^_^

• 4 years later...

Four years down the line and I have the urge to play this again after hearing the soundtrack this week. I don't know if "Black Infinite Chamber" is the official track title but it's a great description. Behold:

Why on earth isn't this on XBLA? I'd have thought the singular vision, art style and leaderboards would all be perfect for it.

Super excellent game. Love it to bits. And the packaging is really sweet.

I once sat just messing with the controller pressing buttons randomly on the title screen and suddenly the character changed. Instead of the normal one, he was now made up of small yellow triangles. Looked awesome but I have no idea what button sequence triggered it. I've looked online a couple of times to see if I could some info about it, but no luck.

What game is it?

Had a trawl through the site it's linked from, and it's the sme name as in the URL: Room Ten.

(CRL, 1986)

The Galcorp Leisure Corporation has devised many games which can be played on low-gravity moons and asteroids. One of these games is glyding, in which two players bounce a ball around a court using a bat. If a player manages to aim the ball so that it hits the wall behind the other player, he scores five points. The first player to score 35 points wins the game. In fact, glyding is nothing more than a 3D version of one of the very first computer games, Pong - and it's actually rather good, although I recommend that you change the default speed setting to something faster, as the game will otherwise be rather boring. You can also change the computer's skill level if you're playing against it, but the game is a lot more fun if you play against a human opponent.

I've been all over the web, using Google Translate for checking Japanese sites, but I cannot for the life of me, find any mention or pictures of the secret character I unlocked. If I wasn't so sure I would start thinking it was something I had imagined.