IGNORED

How I Met Your Mother

Phelan

This wedding has been going on for about two years now, it's the most drawn out plot line I've ever known. The new series has one of the worst laugh tracks I've ever heard, it's like You've Been Framed at times.

As for the spinoff? Desperate.

I haven't watched the new ones, but you mean the laugh track has got worse? It's always been terrible, the guy with the 'HEEEEEP HEEEEEEP HEEEEEEEP' laugh who's still going about 5 minutes after everyone else has stopped. He sounds like a wheezing walrus.

In fact, I searched 'HIMYM annoying laugh' and this is the guy!

It's so terrible now I'm a bit embarassed watching it in front of my boyfriend, vainly claiming how it used to be much better than this. He doesn't believe me. He was in another room when I watched this week's but he recognised what it was due to the painful laughter track.I can't give up now though.

I don't hear laugh tracks, aside from a vague preference for them not being there, didn't realise it was a thing. I assume a "good" one would be innocuous, are there any other notably bad ones.

This week's episode was alright, raised the odd smile (the hooker story etc), though a lot of the time the stuff which makes me laugh or smile is related to the characters I like, their personalities and their intricacies. It's hard to judge how I would feel if it was new. Watching the new South Park afterwards didn't help, that was actually really funny.

• 3 months later...

The latest episode was actually watchable, it seems like the writers still have it in them to make something entertaining when it features as little of the main characters as possible. Which is fine by me because I hate them all at this point especially what they'd done to Robyn who is a pale shadow of herself from earlier seasons.

Casting is also underway for the How I Met Your Dad spinoff

http://tvline.com/2014/01/31/how-i-met-your-dad-spinoff-cast-gay-couple/

SALLY | She’s vibrant, messy and unpredictable — a “female Peter Pan who has never grown up and has no idea of where she’s going in life.” She’s thinking of calling it quits with her husband of a year, Gavin. She’ll lean on her circle of friends for advice and support through the inevitable divorce. That circle includes…

JULIET | Sally’s sexy, flamboyant, energetic, party-girl BFF. She runs a successful fashion blog. She’s delighted to learn Sally is ending things with the terminally boring Gavin.

DANNY | Sally’s older gay brother, a Type A, overachieving lawyer whom she shares little in common with. They nonetheless share a tight bond, although Sally’s decision to move in with Danny after her split with Gavin promises to test that bond.

TODD | Danny’s warm, outgoing husband and one of Sally’s closest friends from college. Unlike Danny, Todd welcomes Sally into their home.

FRANK | The head of IT for Juliet’s fashion blog. He’s a hot nerd. He has genuine feelings for Sally, but it’s a one-sided flirtation. At least for the moment.

NARRATOR | It’s Sally from the future. She’s reliving the events of her past to her kids.

Is it possible for a US comedy to star a female lead who isn't ditzy?

It was ok but I found the latest episode about the mother to be very contrived. It was all "oooooh look how close they were to meeting" (about 5 times) and "hey, you know all the stuff Teds into, well the Mother is into exactly ALL the same stuff, OMG they're just such a perfect match".

Some of the recent episodes have been horrendous though, contributed nothing to the story and just used to fill time. The rhyming episode and the slap bet one were just pointless. We turned the rhyming one off after 5 minutes.

The way they wrote the show in earlier seasons has just made it seem really unsatisfying that Ted hasn't ended up with Robin, I agree it's been terrible lately with so many gimmick episodes to drag out this awful final season. The mother is just a female Ted who is almost exactly like him but female. Not a satisfying ending at all.

I'm quite enjoying this season. Of course, the show started off as "How I met your mother" but soon turned into the "Ted is such a dick" show but I've finally realised that all along the show has really been "The Barney Stinson Story" as told by Ted Mosby, and because Ted is such a self involved prick he keeps banging on about himself and his wife, completely unaware that no one gives a single shit. The kids have been obviously bored since day one and just want to hear more awesome stories about Uncle Barney (who is never in any of the flash forwards so maybe isn't even around then so they can't get their stories first hand).

It was ok but I found the latest episode about the mother to be very contrived. It was all "oooooh look how close they were to meeting" (about 5 times) and "hey, you know all the stuff Teds into, well the Mother is into exactly ALL the same stuff, OMG they're just such a perfect match".

That's the same for all the couples on HIMYM. Lily and Marshall like all the same things and Robin has now been turned into a female Barney when she was nothing like that when the show began. I think I like the mother because unlike the rest of the cast the writers haven't had enough time to destroy her character yet.

The way they wrote the show in earlier seasons has just made it seem really unsatisfying that Ted hasn't ended up with Robin,

The show literally tells you in the first episode that Ted isn't going to end up with Robin. You should never have been expecting that.

The mother's not in the flashforwards, she's totally gonna have died.

I don't know why, but based on only watching* the first couple of series I had always assumed the mother was dead.

*I mostly just read this thread once every three months instead now.

Yeah I kinda hoped ted & robin ended up together, but it was said from early on it wasn't going to happen.

It would be a interesting twist if the mother actually was dead?

"Kids, now you know how i met your mother and we have had many great years before she died. Me and aunt robin have grown closer after her breakup with uncle barny. We are going to try and give things another try"

yeah, that would be a bit of a shock ending.

It wouldn't be that much of a shock given how he spent the last 9 fucking seasons telling them how much he loved Robin.

It's always amused me that Ted has spent so long and gone into so much detail about every single woman he has had sex with who isn't their mother and now they're going to cram the actual romance and getting together of the titular character into a single, rubbish season.

When my son inevitably grows up and asks me how I met his mother, I certainly won't take 9 years and stories of all my exes, or how my best mate Mark has a life goal to bang a chick from every continent (he's getting annoyingly close) or any of the stuff it's not really appropriate to tell your children!

The final episode could end with that reveal and then a close up of the kids rolling their eyes and saying "Ted, you're such a dick" (they call him Ted because they have no respect for him after hearing all of the dick things he did).

The final episode could end with that reveal and then a close up of the kids rolling their eyes and saying "Ted, you're such a dick" (they call him Ted because they have no respect for him after hearing all of the dick things he did).

You know...thinking about it I don't ever recall them calling him dad! Final reveal - it's a long ass story of how he met their mother but isn't their father, just their mental uncle who is worryingly obsessed with their mother and who may or may not have murdered her!

true.. although im sure they called him dad in that comic con skit?

Also, i haven't actually minded this season. I think the wedding has dragged on too long but i have found it a bit better than some of the more recent seasons.

I had a big problem with them breaking the fourth wall in the last season. It just seemed so out of place.

This season reminds me of the last season of Roseanne. It was bonkers and had some pretty bizarre storylines but the fact of the matter is they dragged it out a bit too long and it's lost it's way.

Final reveal is that Ted is their mother; originally born Teresa, she gave birth to the kids but always felt something was missing. After finally confronting and accepting those feelings she couldn't quite explain, she had a successful sex-change operation, becoming Ted. Who acts like a dick because he's still learning to live his new life.

Shyamalan.gif