Sick Of Mmorpgs In Classical Settings?

Rayn

I've got a couple of friends who are just sick and tired of MMOs. Not the actual idea behind a MMO but the games they make massively multiplayer. 80%, at least, of all MMORPGs are set in a Medieval world with cloaks and daggers, orcs and elves... The others are sci-fi games (and some weird bastardisation between the two).

Other than that we have the sports games and racing sims with online modes...

I've heard a lot of "I'd like to see...." moaning from people who miss something cool to play online, and who are tired of slaying Ogres or shooting the Nth player in CS (or another FPS). So I ask you, what kind of idea do you have for a online game we haven't seen yet?

My idea is a boxing game. Think EAs Fight Night Round 3. I'd like to see this game evolving into a online franchise.

You make your own boxer and then start training against other start ups online. After a few initial fights your score gets posted on a online scoreboard and from there you can set up and challenge anyone within a strict reach from your own rankings.

For each won match you gain training points that you can spend on training Strenght, Dexterity, Stamina etc and if you lose a certain amount of matches in a row you'll lose a few points from your stats and decrease your position on the carreer ladder.

Players who don't show up for agreed matches will aslo be punished in some way, so that people can't flog out invitations for matches just for fun.

This is just a rough description of my thoughts around a online boxing game, a game which is pretty much similar to the singleplayer games we've seen before but could be far more interesting if you could set up matches with real players...

So then, anyone else with an idea they can't wait sharing with the rest of us?

edit - heh, chap above posted before I started my long waffle. Ah well.

Funny you should ask this. I'm a bit of an ardent MMO'er, but I'm so utterly tired of the fantasy setting. Unfortunately, everything on the horizon seems to be along these lines; thanks, LoTR.

I'm not entirely sure how it would work, as it'd need some well thought out balancing, but I reckon a GTA style MMO might well work. It couldn't be random folk running about causing the usual destruction though, it would need some sort of gang (ie your usual guild / clan affair) structure, and perhaps the ability to take over someone else's area (thus PvP taken care of).

Just firing ideas off the top of my head, but crafters could get involved with sorting cars, 2nd hand maybe, or folk could smuggle arms in and try and get past the NPC police in doing so. Or, just to jazz is up, police could be a player faction.

I honestly don't know if it would be plausible, as it'd need some clever thinking, and it would probably be burried under an absolute landslide of public disapproval, but it's got potential. Only thing is, your classical instancing/end-game guff wouldn't really work; the game would have to be an absolutely massive, single city (with subway etc), kinda Dark and Light style.

Since seeing the film, I always thought an online version of Battle Royale would make a great game. Every player enters and is randomly assigned with a single item, be it compass, handgun, lighter, or whatever. I think the online alliances that would arise would be great. If you had a gun, would you kill everyone you saw straight off (what if you only had six bullets?), or would you encourage people with inoffensive (but useful) objects to side with you for their safety (but ultimately kill them)?

I think a game like this would encourage collaboration, but also backstabbing - not in the sense of some yank teenager shooting someone in their team to get their sniper, but because that's the aim of the game. The fact that you're siding with people, but only for a limited period would allow for some interesting decisions on the part of the players.

Of course it would have to be SO delicately balanced to ensure that someone who got assigned with a gun wouldn't just immediately win. I don't play online games, but if I did, this would be the kind of game I'd play.

Since seeing the film, I always thought an online version of Battle Royale would make a great game. Every player enters and is randomly assigned with a single item, be it compass, handgun, lighter, or whatever. I think the online alliances that would arise would be great. If you had a gun, would you kill everyone you saw straight off (what if you only had six bullets?), or would you encourage people with inoffensive (but useful) objects to side with you for their safety (but ultimately kill them)?

I think a game like this would encourage collaboration, but also backstabbing - not in the sense of some yank teenager shooting someone in their team to get their sniper, but because that's the aim of the game. The fact that you're siding with people, but only for a limited period would allow for some interesting decisions on the part of the players.

Of course it would have to be SO delicately balanced to ensure that someone who got assigned with a gun wouldn't just immediately win. I don't play online games, but if I did, this would be the kind of game I'd play.

Fantastic idea, imo. It could work as a "one night campaign" or maybe even a more fleshed out campaign like the more tradtional MMOs, but the basic idea is actually great.

Shadowrun

Especially since it would have a tri-universe structure, all of which overlap and are interconnected.

- Physical world

- Computer matrix world (for deckers)

- Spirit world (for mages)

Plus, it's set in a Bladerunner style future.

It would be awesome. Those who've played the games and read the books can no doubt imagine it quite well.

I'm liking the sound of Stu'd idea and it would definately be something fresh (at least in MMO land anyway) Perhaps some sort of system whereby each area of the city gives you some reward for owning and controlling it. So for example a weekly incoming from the NPC residents or a bonus to crafting or something.

I do think what most MMOs are missing at the moment is meaningful PvP. I like the idea of having to defend something of value or on the flip side planning to take control of something from a rival guild / faction etc.

There's some MMORPGs in development at the moment which will feature (assuming they ever get released of course) a perma death system. Now the initial reaction is that it's going to be a ganker's paradise but this won't necessarily be the case. In one game, your character will have nine or so 'lives', after that you would need to restart a new one. This brings a few things to the table, the main one being that you will be accountable for all your actions. Piss off the wrong person and you will pay the consequences. Coming back to griefers, most people won't tollerate them and will band together to bring them down. From the griefers point of view (I have no objection with people who play that way) it's the ultimate game of risk / reward.

I'm still pretty content with the fantasy setting although it has been done to death now. I've tried hard to get in to EVE as the game is really the only hardcore PvP MMO out at the moment but I just can't get on with the setting and I just don't feel any sense of immersion. Likewise Sci-Fi theme really doesn't float my boat either.

<edit>

Went off on a bit of tangent there...

Or, just to jazz is up, police could be a player faction.

Now that would be great. I'd wanna be a copper.

I'd like to see an MMORPG without experience points. Seems like such an old fashioned way to keep people playing the game. Hopefully a GTA like MMORPG would ditch that sort of system.

How would you ensure the longevity of a BR based MMO, though?

Maybe I've misconstrued the original post - I wouldn't expect these games to last more than a single session, with the only longevity being the creation of new maps along the way. The whole idea would be to put all players on a level field as it were, so you don't have some poncy Level 150 supernerd trouncing noobs.

The random assignment of weapons could even extend to random assignment of your character's abilities - height, weight, speed, strength, etc.

I've got a couple of friends who are just sick and tired of MMOs. Not the actual idea behind a MMO but the games they make massively multiplayer. 80%, at least, of all MMORPGs are set in a Medieval world with cloaks and daggers, orcs and elves... The others are sci-fi games (and some weird bastardisation between the two).

Other than that we have the sports games and racing sims with online modes...

I've heard a lot of "I'd like to see...." moaning from people who miss something cool to play online, and who are tired of slaying Ogres or shooting the Nth player in CS (or another FPS). So I ask you, what kind of idea do you have for a online game we haven't seen yet?

Sorry, this is not my own idea, but there's a new MMORPG out there that tries to do away with traditional MMORPG hacking and slashing, focusing entirely on politics, crafting, maintenance, science and such, while still maintaining a focus unlike something like Second Life. The idea is that you're all on an enclosed human colony in space, trying to survive and deal with the dangers from the planet outside. It's things such as diseases, though, as there's no combat at all in the game.

Anyway, the beta is starting feb 1st, and there's still time to sign up here. Really looking forward to it myself.

Maybe I've misconstrued the original post - I wouldn't expect these games to last more than a single session

Ah hah, sorry. Aye, if it was an MMG, that'd be tops actually, and quite original. Kinda like popping online for a game of CS or something I guess, only in an entirely different setting.

A better idea:

massively multiplayer online tetris.

You play this colourful fellow: -aHR0cDovL3d3dy5pYmVncm91cC5jb20vZG93bmxvYWQvQmxvY2tQUEMuZ2lm-200-150.gif and control his adventure as he tumbles downards towards the rest of your 'clan'. If you can persuade enough of your team mates to get beside you than you dissapear and get ready to start tumbling down agan!

I always think about this because I've never felt like playing any current mmorpgs

so 2 main ones I have discussed with people would be:

1) Zombie survival mmorpg - first person viewpoint, set over various towns/cities and countryside. possibly continuous zombies generating with enough AI to find/smell the living. player as humans, spawn at a random place at the start, can combine into groups if they want and band together to defend towns/buildings/places from the increasing zombie hordes. the whole thing would need HL2-style physics so any objects like wooded panels can be used to make barricades and anything useable as a weapon. players not into fighting could repair abandoned vehicles for use or build new towns to live in. would require heavy teamwork in order to survive, and rescuing new arrivals would give benefits. also a few areas are safe to initiate new people. you could also trade supplies and weapons with other people, or just go around collecting new gear. like in the films, raiding dangerous abandoned shops would mean profit from supplies found but you would risk death (kind of like going on a quest). this game would need to be rock hard, making it a real challenge to fight off zombies and backup needed to be rescued etc.

2) Mech game where you do missions in a future world to earn money and eventually you get you own mech. then you can customise it and add parts. a bit like front mission only theres thousands everywhere, and you would have towns and cities where you can park your mech and get out and chill in a bar or something for a bit, or just go shopping or chat. this one would be like a war (as with the zombies) where you form groups to attack places set by an overall commander (or group of commanders) to take and hold places on the map. you get benefits for holding ground and it can be retaken by either some invading alien force, or another side of human players. like BF2 + a mmorpg + mechs and future cities + much larger. this one needs thought.

both of those could benefit from having a common enemy for all players so would encourage teamwork.

Guest The Big Z
1) Zombie survival mmorpg - first person viewpoint, set over various towns/cities and countryside. possibly continuous zombies generating with enough AI to find/smell the living. player  as humans, spawn at a random place at the start, can combine into groups if they want and band together to defend towns/buildings/places from the increasing zombie hordes. the whole thing would need HL2-style physics so any objects like wooded panels can be used to make barricades and anything useable as a weapon. players not into fighting could repair abandoned vehicles for use or build new towns to live in. would require heavy teamwork in order to survive, and rescuing new arrivals would give benefits. also a few areas are safe to initiate new people. you could also trade supplies and weapons with other people, or just go around collecting new gear. like in the films, raiding dangerous abandoned shops would mean profit from supplies found but you would risk death (kind of like going on a quest). this game would need to be rock hard, making it a real challenge to fight off zombies and backup needed to be rescued etc.

This would also be top of my list of MMO wants. I'd love a full graphical version of Urban Dead.

I always think about this because I've never felt like playing any current mmorpgs

so 2 main ones I have discussed with people would be:

1) Zombie survival mmorpg - first person viewpoint, set over various towns/cities and countryside. possibly continuous zombies generating with enough AI to find/smell the living. player  as humans, spawn at a random place at the start, can combine into groups if they want and band together to defend towns/buildings/places from the increasing zombie hordes. the whole thing would need HL2-style physics so any objects like wooded panels can be used to make barricades and anything useable as a weapon. players not into fighting could repair abandoned vehicles for use or build new towns to live in. would require heavy teamwork in order to survive, and rescuing new arrivals would give benefits. also a few areas are safe to initiate new people. you could also trade supplies and weapons with other people, or just go around collecting new gear. like in the films, raiding dangerous abandoned shops would mean profit from supplies found but you would risk death (kind of like going on a quest). this game would need to be rock hard, making it a real challenge to fight off zombies and backup needed to be rescued etc.

This sounds great. Anything that encourages cooperation, but doesn't force it, and something with a common goal. It would appear that one of the main tasks of online games these days is to try and do away with twattish behaviour. A game where everyone is working towards the SAME THING, rather than just trying to increase their BOOM! HEADSHOT count is a good thing.

I'd like a MMO business simulator.

You start off with some cash and you can do small trade. Once you're bigger you can takeover smaller companies, or merge with them to become larger and get more income. If you disagree you can step out by selling your shares or maybe do a buyout for control. You could try dodgy things like tax fraud, stock exchange with pre-knowledge or even threaten other players to sent hitmen on their tail, with the risk of getting caught and paying huge fines.

It sounds boring, but it's got everything in there to make for an intruiging game which will really test your wits. Think Wallstreet for example. No hitpoints needed. No experience. Just cold cash.

Can you play as a Zombie once you 'die'?

yes that would be fun as you'd know where your friends were when you died, and you can hunt them down. and you could go "I'm...coming for yoouuuuu..!!" in a zombie groaning voice.

one thing I didn't notice was that the zombie idea means no levelling up. everyone is human and equal, and it's only the things you manage to get hold of that make you more or less powerful than other people. I haven't actually played a mmorpg so I'm not sure what the atmosphere is like, but is there resentment and division between people on higher or lower levels and with different skills? I don't know how necessary it is as part of the game mechanics but if you removed major levelling up it might make people stick together more. also, a greater sense of teamwork would keep people playing instead of them feeling obliged to play because they've spent so much time getting to level 60 or whatever. you could have skill increases though, as then the game would change a bit for you to stop repetitiveness setting in.