IGNORED

Manga

Headache

On 11/09/2020 at 07:37, Charliemouse said:

Oh fuck.

Arrived in a bomb-proof box, that I had trouble lifting into the house. 

One of the most impressive packaging jobs I've seen in years and I had to laugh, as I bought it knowing there was damage to the outer box. 

That's how it was listed on eBay. The contents are brand new, which is the main thing. I'll take a dinged box, if it's saving me a lot of money. 

But still impressed that the seller took care of packing it, as if it was a pristine item. 

Now, where to put the fucking thing...

N5sL1spm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know if anyone is reading One Punch Man, but the new chapter really does deliver a lot with very little. Manga is really good at teasing you with the idea of something but persistently refusing to actually show it to you. In this case it’s a person, someone who has been hinted at and suggested, who we’ve been teased with but having never actually seen they’ve become this larger than life image to the point where a single panel showing them in flashback has such an incredibly impact.

Spoiler

It’s Blast! I still know nothing about him and he’s not at all relevant to current events in the story, but damn am I excited by a single image of him:

4538EF17-4203-4F12-9906-564F48CFA043.thumb.png.6b2cb60c741e8bd42574172cc3c4eaae.png

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Oh god, read slowly then mate

Spoiler

I just want Casca to be ok, and I suspect she won’t be. :(

I went into this from parasyte which was brilliant too and had a very satisfying ending. Definitely Worth a read. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody please explain how Shonen jump £1.99 a month app works. 

Can I read every chapter of, say, One Piece right from the beginning? Can I download to my iPad and read offline? Is it just like Marvel Unlimbers? Are there any restrictions?

46 minutes ago, sandman said:

Can somebody please explain how Shonen jump £1.99 a month app works. 

Can I read every chapter of, say, One Piece right from the beginning? Can I download to my iPad and read offline? Is it just like Marvel Unlimbers? Are there any restrictions?

Yes you can read every chapter of One Piece as well as all current titles in the Shonen Jump magazine.  There’s also a decent selection of older titles too.

You are allowed to download chapters to read offline.

13 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Yes you can read every chapter of One Piece as well as all current titles in the Shonen Jump magazine.  There’s also a decent selection of older titles too.

You are allowed to download chapters to read offline.

One Piece good? Will it help fill the void left by, almost, catching up with Berserk?

9 minutes ago, watusi said:

One Piece good? Will it help fill the void left by, almost, catching up with Berserk?

It’s very different to Berserk, have you read Blade of the Immortal?

Claymore is on the Shonen Jump app though and that’s kinda like a watered down version of Berserk as you have to remember Shonen manga isn’t as violent or gory as Sienen manga like Berserk.

I caught up with Bezerk! What a ride. I feel a bit bereft now, particularly as I've seen how infrequently new chapters are released.

Onto Blame! next I think, or Nausicaa

I've been trying to find somewhere to read Monster (Urasawa) online or in digital form but no luck. Anyone come across it?

2 hours ago, watusi said:

I caught up with Bezerk! What a ride. I feel a bit bereft now, particularly as I've seen how infrequently new chapters are released.

Onto Blame! next I think, or Nausicaa

I've been trying to find somewhere to read Monster (Urasawa) online or in digital form but no luck. Anyone come across it?

Just buy the damn books, it’s far too good to read it using crappy scanlations.

So I’m reading Hunter X Hunter and it’s good, but the Chimera Ant arc is really not doing it for me. In general I’m finding the whole series a bit too reliant on giant exposition dumps, but losing so much of the supporting cast each arc is also not doing much to keep me invested. I’ve got like a hundred and fifty chapters to go to catch up, can anyone who has read it all let me know if the next arc is more like the earlier ones? I really liked the Hunter exam and phantom troupe parts, and greed island was ok (I really liked the part with Hisoka). Is the remaining stuff after this arc going to be more like the earlier parts? Are Hisoka, Kurapika, Leorio and the phantom troupe coming back? 

It’s fine, I don’t mind the new characters I just feel like it’s not ideal that the supporting cast changes so often. Gon has his nen back now and they’ve split into groups to go fight Freiza and his generals so I’ll see how that goes. I’ll definitely read it out, just not feeling this arc as much as earlier ones.

On 27/11/2020 at 11:11, Broker said:

I was wrong, just finished it and the Chimera Ant arc is indeed the best one so far.

I've spent the last couple of weeks reading Hunter x Hunter from the start and I have just finished the Chimera Ant arc. While I find myself agreeing that it's the best of HxH (so far) with decent character development, an intriguing setup, and flashy action segments, I think it'll be the last arc I read.

Tonally, HxH is all over the place. Now, I've seen shonen series radically transform before. It's not uncommon to respond to the harsh environment of weekly serialisation, Japanese work ethic, and editor interference over a period of years by transitioning towards darker, more mature themes. Katekyo Hitman Reborn is one such example, which started as a light-hearted comedy series about a mafia assassin who is a home tutor and also a baby, and a few volumes in it suddenly twisted into a sterotypical battle manga with plenty of bloody combat, but in HxH I found the shift especially jarring.

Its hero, Gon, is your typical 12 year-old, going on adventures, fighting in tournaments, getting sucked into magical card games, and Togashi would only occasionally make you embarrassed to read his work with some light pederasty. Then some talking ants drop in and shit gets fucked up. We get decapitations, war, guts all over the place, child murder, crying, body horror, dildos, Kim Jong Il, drugs, torture, more murder, more crying, and so on. No wonder the arc ends the way it does:

Spoiler

With Gon aging rapidly, because during a break from "dating cougars" he becomes a child soldier, witnesses a genocide, and punches someone's body into a bloody mist.

Now I know about the problems HxH has had with hiatuses, and this shift towards an edgier tone makes a little more sense when you consider it's not the 7-and-a-half its 391 chapters should make it, but twenty-two years old. Perhaps it works better if you grew up with it, or just had longer to digest the way it changes, but I can't really recommend binging it like I have. It feels like watching an episode of the Simpsons where Bart brutally murders Flanders while Maggie takes heroin. Knowing it's unlikely to ever be wrapped up doesn't help, either.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/11/2020 at 12:09, Charliemouse said:

Just buy the damn books, it’s far too good to read it using crappy scanlations.

My Xmas treat to myself - the full set of Monster Perfect edition. Caned the 1st volume - its ace so far.

I'd not read manga for years but having read Parasyte (Amazing and a really satisfying end) & Berserk (Brilliant and gutted to finally catch up to the latest chapter) its just so much more absorbing and varied than Western comics (generalisation I know).

Couple of recommendations on recently completed (in scanlations anyway, the first one is almost 10 years old) series

Team Medical Dragon - hospital manga which centers on your standard 'genius but a loose cannon' surgeon and the people around him. Lots of twists and turns and politics and an evil boss who looks like a toad.

If the Cat Faces West - a world with a phenomenon called Flow which manifests people's subconscious desires/worries into reality and a guy who's job it is to rectify the effects. Cute and heartwarming.