Shadow Of The Colossus - Pal Thread

Comrade

God knows what this motion blur hokum is about.. but I'm really enjoying the game so far, though it must have the dullest opener and initial 10 minutes pla I have ever endured. Once you start heading for the collosi, the game opens into several enormous challenges, and the giants are be-ay-you-tiful. Onto number 5!

Spong: hold circle and you'll hold your sword up to the light, turn around and when the light starts shining off into teh distance (and the pad vibrates), that's where you want to be heading. You can do that all teh time to find ouy where your next target is.

I tried to smack it with my sword and was let down by it looking and sounding like I hit steel. But shooting it with an arrow made it run off which was funny.

I was only doing this because I can't find my memory card so can't save it.

The bonus material is nothing to worry about missing - ICO Trailer, making of and a bunch of artwork to slide through.

Has anyone played the PAL release yet? Or are people only going on the demo?

It seems really silly to me that they would have removed the motion blur completely in the PAL release. Making it an option would make much more sense. I might skip this, or pick up the US one again, if this is true.

I'm playing the PAL release. Not yet quite onto the third Colossi, but it really is very beautiful. And not especially skittish in the framerate department, either.

Certainly I've yet to experience anything that affects playability, which surely is the big problem with slowdown.

And I'm playing at 50hz :(

Negative, 13 ftw!!

I cant wait to play this again.

5 and 13 are both great. Then probably 3, then 4. Then 7. And then 11. Then 15. Etc.

I think the only one I got really pissed off with was 8, but it was massively satisfying when you finally got him. Easy when you knew how, really.

Email back from Simply re. the version on their site:

"Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have not been given any information from Sony that this will be the special edition so at this point I would say no it ist. Please accept my apologies.

Regards

Customer Support"

Framerate isn't that great but it's certainly not frustratingly bad.

I just did the first baddy. First game I've played and REALLY enjoyed in years. Amazing stuff.

I thought I'd not like this game. I hate end guys in games and this just sounded like 15 of them piled up after each other. But these are PROPER end guys. It's brilliant.

I thought I'd not like this game. I hate end guys in games and this just sounded like 15 of them piled up after each other. But these are PROPER end guys. It's brilliant.

I'm glad to hear that. Boss Rush: The Game didn't sound very appealing. I'm liking the sound of this more and more.

I'm guessing the blur I'm seeing isn't the same as what you lot are talking about. I will hopefully complete it tomorrow so will let you know.

I just did 3. Man, this is fun.

One thing though, I'm skipping the cutscenes because, well.. they drag on and the voice is irritating. Am I missing anything important?

The voice does give some hints on where to head.  Some of the later ones can be a bit hard to find with the sword alone.  Though, I wouldn't worry.

Start watching them from about nine (maybe a little later - around about nine, anyway) onwards, though - things start happening.

There's (proper) cutscenes after 4, 8 and 12 IIRC. Then there's one unmissable one before 16, and then the final one, which is the end, and is the greatest ending ever that isn't killer7.

I've just started playing a uk PAL review copy and there's definite blurring when I turn in the temple at the start.

I'm a bit underwhelmed so far, the controls aren't that smooth and I don't like his running animation. I've only got to the first colossus though so I'm assuming it'll pick up. The sense of size is impressive.

The translation is truly appalling in that first bit - switching tenses within a sentence, using plurals when something's singular, mishandling archaisms. Was it like this in the US edition?