IGNORED

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter [x360]

Paulando

If there are wide open forests with tanks and helicopters all over the place this could be the OFP2 I've been waiting for.

There aren't, it's set purely in the city.

It kinda defeats the point of the Ghost Recon games, if you ask me.

I can't help but think the engine and plot would have been better suited to the Rainbow Six franchise or something. GR has always been about being dumped in the middle of fuck knows where and making your way towards the target using stealth and occasionally a bit of combat.

I'm all for variation, and I'm sure it'll be great, but it's not really Ghost Recon, is it?

There aren't, it's set purely in the city.

It kinda defeats the point of the Ghost Recon games, if you ask me.

I can't help but think the engine and plot would have been better suited to the Rainbow Six franchise or something. GR has always been about being dumped in the middle of fuck knows where and making your way towards the target using stealth and occasionally a bit of combat.

I'm all for variation, and I'm sure it'll be great, but it's not really Ghost Recon, is it?

That's exactly right. If this is how the more tactical, measured Clancy franchise has turned out, where does it leave Rainbow Six? It will have to be ridiculously action-packed to differentiate itself. Gone are the days of the excellent tactical planning of the original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, it seems.

The ability to move armour and stuff around may provide some more depth I hope.

Well there are some completely INSANE achievements: you need to be #1 on the leaderboards for a certain achievement. Another game in which getting the 1000 Gamerscore is almost impossible.

Other achievements are playing 5 hours STRAIGHT online, making 1000 kills online (etc.), and the basic 'finish singleplayer mission X'.

I remember playing the first Ghost Recon on the Xbox until about 6am on release day. So yeah, it probably won't be too hard!

The Embassy was one of the best stages in the original (although it did become massively overplayed), so the city/industrial setting is quite welcome. As long as the stages are just as sprawling as they were before, it'll still play very much like Ghost Recon of old.

And as for the release date, it's 31/03/06 is it not?

I havent read the whole thread, but does anyone else find the hud to be a complete fucking mess in this? I want to shoot people, not red triangles. I might as well be playing geometry wars watching the video of this. Takes me right out of the experience seeing a big red outline round a tank.

I havent read the whole thread, but does anyone else find the hud to be a complete fucking mess in this? I want to shoot people, not red triangles. Takes me right out of the experience seeing a big red outline round a tank.

To be fair it's called 'Advanced Warfighter' for a reason. These huds are apparently part or becoming part of real warfare. Perhaps in this case realism has been taken too far.

In the famed 'Forests of Mexico City' I assume.

Nope, its set in Nicaragua apparently...

'Meanwhile 100s of miles to the south a new war is beginning and a new team is getting ready to strike'

...the multiplayer, including the Co-op, was created by an entirely different team (Red Storm) using a different engine (I think) and set in different places.

A Multiplayer video was released recently...

Ghost Recon: AW - Multiplayer Trailer HD

I was put off by all these multicoloured outlines everywhere to but when I looked at the video I sure the outlines for the enemies and team members display temporarily just to help you recognise friend from foe. I think its supposed to be part of some advanced war technology that every solider will have built into their helmet cam hence why there is some interference when bullets and explosion go off nearby. Also with this yellow hue everywhere it may become confusing to distinguish things however I'm guessing there will be an option to turn it off in the options for a tougher experience.

Also with this yellow hue everywhere it may become confusing to distinguish things however I'm guessing there will be an option to turn it off in the options for a tougher experience.

I think you see the hue when you're building up to an encounter and things clear up when you're in battle. Apparently it adds to the atmosphere by making a difference between walking about and taking part in a battle.

There is a video of the first level here:

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2601_en.html

Someone from GAF Forums

single-player is awesome, but it can be predictable through trial and error.

:(

Same person from GAF Forums

multiplayer feels so totally different, especially the multiplayer since you can set up 2-16 player co-op games totally customized to your whims. one game we like to do is one where we have a handful of player characters go up against an endless spawn storm of AI enemies on a map where we have to protect a spot. with the over shoulder view, it really does feel like RE4 where you're shooting a horde of zombies as enemies keep spawning and storming your location. you win the level by staying alive and holding the position for 10 or 15 minutes and there are so many enemies you eventually run out of ammo and have to run out to these corpses and grab enemy guns and ammo just to stay alive and defend your position. IT'S FUCKING AWESOME.

;):D:D

Wicked - I love sieges.

Shame about that 'trial and error' comment. I hope it doesn't turn out like RS3, where bad guys just wait in a set location waiting to spring into a scripted action when you cross some invisible line.

Shame about that 'trial and error' comment. I hope it doesn't turn out like RS3, where bad guys just wait in a set location waiting to spring into a scripted action when you cross some invisible line.

True, RS3 was awful in the singleplayer campaign although playing in co-op the campaign suddenly became genius.

Although with GR:AW it doesn't look like you can play the main campaign in co-op, just some extra missions - which is good in a way, but bad at the same time.

Although with GR:AW it doesn't look like you can play the main campaign in co-op, just some extra missions - which is good in a way, but bad at the same time.

It's a whole new campaign, specifically designed to cater for up to 16 players at once. To me at least, that sounds far better than shoehorning such a feature into a game geared for one player and a squad of four. :lol: