IGNORED

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter [x360]

Paulando

Out of interest are using a wired or wireless connection? I have a wireless one, and with the media center network tuner, no matter what I do I can't get a signal above 50% of what they recommend. 25 meters of cable on its way to me now to replace it.

I can watch a whole film with no glitches, but the other day I was trying to watch the new episode of Lost and it kept coming up with network congestion all the bloody time.

Sorry, I missed this! I have a wired connection going through a hub and don't have any problems. A couple of times it's come up with 'network congestion', but it disappeared straight away.

Any chance of some brief impressions?

I'm really, really, REALLY liking it. It's a previewbuild from january so it still has some flaws (sometimes my squadmates just refuse to obey my command), but it's obvious to me that this'll be my favourite Xbox 360 game for quite some time. It's really intense, you have to think before you act, because the A.I is amazing. You'll need to flank your enemies like in Brothers in Arms and Full Spectrum Warrior, but it feels way better in GRAW and you have to be more careful as well, since the enemy tries the same from time to time. I don't know why, but the game just has something special...

I'm in love with the videofeed in the upper left corner of the screen, by the way. When hell breaks loose it's quite cool to see your how your teammates react in the videofeed. Complete with rustle when they run for cover, ofcourse.

Oh and it looks FABULOUS, duh.

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Jaapvan...139911311_7.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Jaapvan...139911311_4.jpg

:P

Edit: Sorry for the big screens. I'll make links of them.

My favourite moment thusfar (2nd mission spoilers):

When you reach the embassy in Mexico City where you need to pick up the Mexican president, it explodes. I was really scared the poor guy was killed, but when you reach the embassy it's clear that's he's still alive. The only problem is: REBELS ARE COMING FROM EVERY DIRECTION NOW! Intense to the bone!

I'm really, really, REALLY liking it. It's a previewbuild from january so it still has some flaws (sometimes my squadmates just refuse to obey my command), but it's obvious to me that this'll be my favourite Xbox 360 game for quite some time. It's really intense, you have to think before you act, because the A.I is amazing. You'll need to flank your enemies like in Brothers in Arms and Full Spectrum Warrior, but it feels way better in GRAW and you have to be more careful as well, since the enemy tries the same from time to time. I don't know why, but the game just has something special...

I'm in love with the videofeed in the upper left corner of the screen, by the way. When hell breaks loose it's quite cool to see your how your teammates react in the videofeed. Complete with rustle when they run for cover, ofcourse.

Oh and it looks FABULOUS, duh.

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Jaapvan...139911311_7.jpg

http://www.gamer.nl/images/content/Jaapvan...139911311_4.jpg

:P

Edit: Sorry for the big screens. I'll make links of them.

My favourite moment thusfar (2nd mission spoilers):

When you reach the embassy in Mexico City where you need to pick up the Mexican president, it explodes. I was really scared the poor guy was killed, but when you reach the embassy it's clear that's he's still alive. The only problem is: REBELS ARE COMING FROM EVERY DIRECTION NOW! Intense to the bone!

Sounds fantastic. Just what I wanted to hear. :D

To clear up or possibly add to the release date confusion, Ubisoft have updated their forums today to show the 360 release as 10th March and the Xbox version as 17th March. Ubi Forums - in white near the top of the page

Seems a lot of online shops still have it wrong.

On a related note where is the best place to order for delivery on or before release day? Gameplay? Simply Games?

On a related note where is the best place to order for delivery on or before release day? Gameplay? Simply Games?

Gameplay are pretty much guranteed to get the game to you the day before release, or even two days before if their recent performance continues as it is.

To clear up or possibly add to the release date confusion, Ubisoft have updated their forums today to show the 360 release as 10th March and the Xbox version as 17th March. Ubi Forums - in white near the top of the page

Seems a lot of online shops still have it wrong.

Play will ship as soon as they have it in stock so I usually have games on the Thursday or Friday at the latest. £39.99 too.

So, I just watched a load of videos.

Man, it looks as dull as a bucket of week-old piss.

I believe everyone who says it plays brilliantly, because it probably does - but it sure ain't a spectator sport. The envionments, character designs, and puny weapons all make it seem so dreary.

So, I just watched a load of videos.

Man, it looks as dull as a bucket of week-old piss.

I believe everyone who says it plays brilliantly, because it probably does - but it sure ain't a spectator sport. The envionments, character designs, and puny weapons all make it seem so dreary.

Stroker Ace in criticising 360 game shocker. :lol:

Oh, please. Like it being on the 360 has anything to do with it.

When they release a game that I (a) REALLY enjoy, and (B) that's not crippled in some way (j'accuse PGR3's loading times), I'll wave the flag for it like you've never seen. I have no hardware bias - in fact, I love the 360 itself, I just can't find a single game on the machine that I like, PGR3 aside.

As I said, I reckon GRAW is gonna be terrific fun to play, but it's terribly dreary to look at. The regular Xbox one looks equally dreary, but at least that feels like some staggering technical feat.

Let's not be silly here. I'm not looking at the videos and saying "it's on the 360, it looks really dull", I'm just looking at the videos and saying that it looks dull, because it does. The guns sound like pellet guns, and have about the same amount of impact, everything is fucking beige, and everything STILL looks like it's been laminated.

Sure, the graphics are very sharp and clear, but so what, when it looks like a total visual generic-a-thon? The HUD is the sole visually interesting thing about the game. Hell, the picture-in-picture thing alone sold me on it months ago.

BUT the game's going to be fucking aces, and it'll probably be the game I finally buy the machine for.

So what's your point?

Oh, please. Like it being on the 360 has anything to do with it.

When they release a game that I (a) REALLY enjoy, and (B) that's not crippled in some way (j'accuse PGR3's loading times), I'll wave the flag for it like you've never seen. I have no hardware bias - in fact, I love the 360, I just can't find a single game on the machine that I like, PGR3 aside.

As I said, I reckon GRAW is gonna be terrific fun to play, but it's terribly dreary to look at. The regular Xbox one looks equally dreary, but at least that feels like some staggering technical feat.

Let's not be silly here. I'm not looking at the videos and saying "it's on the 360, it looks really dull", I'm just looking at the videos and saying that it looks dull, because it does. The guns sound like pellet guns, and have about the same amount of impact, everything is fucking beige, and everything STILL looks like it's been laminated.

Sure, the graphics are very sharp and clear, but so what, when it looks like a total visual generic-a-thon?

BUT the game's going to be fucking aces, and it'll probably be the game I finally buy the machine for.

So what's your point?

every game expo video IMO is dull, its like a dry hump

that being said, i still watch them, and pass judgement.......

every game expo video IMO is dull, its like a dry hump

Well exactly, but we have a thread full of people raving about how amazing it looks, based on these videos.

Yet, as far as I'm seeing, video of the game does a very poor job of representing the funnitude I'm hearing about from everyone who's played it. As I said - in the videos it looks drab, lightweight, and a bit barren.

There's nothing about it that's wowing me, is what I'm saying.

Looking forward to it, though. I just don't get what everyone else seems to be so amazed by in these videos.

Well exactly, but we have a thread full of people raving about how amazing it looks, based on these videos.

Yet, as far as I'm seeing, video of the game does a very poor job of representing the funnitude I'm hearing about from everyone who's played it. As I said - in the videos it looks drab, lightweight, and a bit barren.

There's nothing about it that's wowing me, is what I'm saying.

Looking forward to it, though. I just don't get what everyone else seems to be so amazed by in these videos.

As an aside, how would you make a game set in an urban battlefield anything but grey/beige? I don't see how you can level that at it as a criticism. If the game's going for realism in that respect, it would be odd to see a load of purple buildings and giant Nintendo style Bob-ombs and mushrooms everywhere.

Impressions of a 3 Level Multi-Player Demo. Will it be the one we get on LIVE?

Allright here are my impressions. Now be advised this is just a preliminary write up, because i am going back to comic con tommorrow morning, and will go through alot of the games finer details with "Hangtown SOG" from UBI.

To start things off the first thing i noticed when i walked up to the booth, was the graphics. Now i had been thinking what alot of people on here were thinking , that the graphics in MP arent as good as SP.

well i do not think that is the case. the first map i saw was desert gulch, and it was simply beautiful, photorealistic in many places. you got a real sense of light and shadow. I guess you could say you felt like you were under the sun so to speak. Everything is animated in the map. all the grass moved, trees swayed, etc. Again everything casting really convincing soft shadows, and really hardline shadows, when you were shaded by an object or rock etc. The next map i played was the beach map. not sure what it was called, but the one that serallen first showed way back at x05 or something. The one with the white sand, and the castle perched up on the hill. This was really nice looking, and really nice playing. many different types of play styes were good for this map. Snipers could take advantage of the long distance perches, and riflemen could have their way in the twisting turning rock outcroppings that lined the beach area.

The next map i played was treasury, and this was incredible. It was kinda the "new govt. district" for all you Summit strike fans. But this was not a grided out metro area. really natural layout of the buildings, streets, courtyards, etc. Seemed very very open and large. as a matter of fact i got turned around more than a few times. This map is huge ! what i really liked were the many cars throughout the map., and when people use them as cover, you can shoot through the windows, and even blow the cars up. No more cover then. heh, the explosions are , in my opinion, the best i have seen in a videogame. both when cars explode and grenades. both have a real power behind them, and can do alot of damage.

Tomorrow, i will play through all of the maps if i can, however the game is set up on a lan, so i am not in control of the server when i play. The drone wasnt very useful in my opinion in a squad type game. at least with the people i was playing with. everyone was running and gunning, which basically meant i couldnt do much intel/recon, i basically had to go balls to the wall, and hunt people down. i CAN see the drone coming in handy on coop or , when playing tactically. Also the drone can be taken out quite easily.

The guns are really nice. alot of power behind them, and the sound is unmatched. hands down the best sound effects for guns i have ever heard. I didnt use alot of them, but i did see when i cycled through them, that guns come in alot of configs. Like when you went to the scar, you had several versions, of it including the silenced and grenadier, versions. and if i am not mistaken, a version that had both a silencer and launcher. Which was cool to see. Alot of the fan favorite guns are in there, and i will try to write alot of them down tomorrow if i can,.

The new tight shoulder view is really cool. when you pull in your left trigger, the camera pulls up close behind shoulder, and gives a pretty solid view to use when firing so that you dont always have to be zoomed in, but still focused on an area in the distance. You also have the ability to move while firing in this view, and maintaining, accuracy, because you move slower in that view. I didnt get a chance to mess around with game options but will try to get my hands on that tomorrow. If there was any complaints out of the whole experiences there would only be 2 of them.

A. when i set up a server, if i am playing a daytime map, i will personally be turning off the night vision ability for all players, as i saw quite a few people using it to their advantage on the day time maps.

B. they werent giving away demos of the game there. I WANT MY COPY NOW !!!!

This game totally lived up to the hype, and the expectations i have. and i am a long time ghostrecon fan. i bought GR1 the day it came out years ago, and i did the same with GR2 and the move to xbox. GRAW really just seems to take all that, and really sharpen it down to the point where is just straight deadly

Daanos, What are the control schemes like? Does Ubi offer costomisable controls this time around, or will it automatically adjust to your 360's personalised controls settings from the dashboard?

I just need to know, because Ubi have a habit of releasing FPS with a limited number of thumbstick settings (like Far Cry).

i missed the video. is it hosted anywhere else?

The definitive single player preview and An in-depth interview and look at the Multiplayer mode from Game Trailers cover most of the aspects you'll want to know from both modes. I have a feeling you're after the First Mission walkthrough though which I can't find...

edit: Here's the 188mb 1st Mission video.