IGNORED

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter [x360]

Paulando

Daanos, What are the control schemes like? Does Ubi offer costomisable controls this time around, or will it automatically adjust to your 360's personalised controls settings from the dashboard?

I just need to know, because Ubi have a habit of releasing FPS with a limited number of thumbstick settings (like Far Cry).

I suppose it will automatically adjust to your personalised control settings, but I'm not sure since I haven't customised it on my debug unit.

Anyway, there a three controller schemes available, A, B and C. But they only change the function of the buttons, no thumbstick thingy. Does that answer your question?

I suppose it will automatically adjust to your personalised control settings, but I'm not sure since I haven't customised it on my debug unit.

Anyway, there a three controller schemes available, A, B and C. But they only change the function of the buttons, no thumbstick thingy. Does that answer your question?

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it's at least something. I guess it does look for the settings on your 360 then, seeing as there's no option to change the thumbsticks to Southpaw/Legacy. I'm a Southpawer. :ph34r:

You just have to place your squad in cover all the time, that's about it. And that's really easy, just aim at a certain spot and press up on the d-pad. I agree it looks quite complicated from time to time in the video but it's actually quite easy when you're playing it for yourself.

As an aside, how would you make a game set in an urban battlefield anything but grey/beige? I don't see how you can level that at it as a criticism. If the game's going for realism in that respect, it would be odd to see a load of purple buildings and giant Nintendo style Bob-ombs and mushrooms everywhere.

I was thinking the exact same thing whilst I was grumbling about the game last night, and it made me think about Resident Evil 4. Resi 4 has you walking though "just a far" and "just a castle", but the design work is impeccable - visually interesting, beautiful, and atmospheric. Look at the shots of Resi 5, too - just constant extraneous detail, everywhere you look. In comparison, GR:AW is very empty and characterless.

Of course, it's always nice to be able to design worn/decayed environments. Gaming representions of reality always tends to look a bit flat. I think Bizarre managed something quite special in PGR3, which looks quite lovely, whilst PGR2 was as flat as a pancake. GR:AW has this same flatness, I find - there's no contrast, and (from what I've seen) none of the little details that make an environment a pleasure to explore.

And in fairness, I wasn't merely complaining about the graphics, I was complaining about the puny BB guns and floaty-looking characters, too.

But once again, I'll finish by saying ths following, for the hard of thinking:

It'll very likely be brilliant.

Anyone had a look yet to see if the demo of this went up on live today?

Where did you hear it was up today? I'd heard they (Ubisoft) have a few events over the weekend and Monday/Tuesday where they will have the demo (like the one at Comic-Com) and after that we might see the demo.

My guess would be Friday at the earliest.

As an aside, how would you make a game set in an urban battlefield anything but grey/beige? I don't see how you can level that at it as a criticism. If the game's going for realism in that respect, it would be odd to see a load of purple buildings and giant Nintendo style Bob-ombs and mushrooms everywhere.

I think thats a bit narrow minded. Why dont they just get a bit more inventive with their locations. Theres some very good looking cities out there that arent just grey.

How about a siege at the louvre. With all of the artwork inside highly rendered. A gunfight that blows up priceless carvings and paintings could be amazing fun> With you penalised accordingly for the damage you do.

Or how about a gunfight accross yachts in monaco, or tuk tuks in Thailand, or a hostage situation in the Sydney opera house or a snipe fest at the hundertwasser haus...

Just because its a city doesnt mean it has to be drab and grey. A shoot out in picadilly circus for example could be neon soaked madness.

In fact, a mission in the louvre could be amazing!

i'd love to play out a siege in the louvre. you gotta take out all these terrorists, save the hostages, and try not to damage all the expensive stuff in there.

if you rendered all the art in there and put a price value on it all, and you had to cost the government less than 5 million euros or something. And save 70% of all hostages.

Trying to shoot around statues or deciding to let a hostage get whacked cos the killer was standing in front of the mona lisa so you couldnt take the shot.

Ubisoft updated their forums 2 days ago to state:

Xbox 360: 9th March [uSA] 10th March [uK]

Xbox: 17th March

PC & PS2: 31st March

However, sites all over the net are varying with the 360 date. Anything from the 7th in the US to the 31st March

Apparently there was confusion when the Xbox version got put back to the 17th and the 360 one was marked as delayed until the 17th March aswell, when it's not.

A guy on NTSC said today that suppliers were still giving retailers the 10th for the UK 360 release but that doesn't explain why 75% of retailers seem to have the 360 game down as 31st March

So basically, take a wild guess...