The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

Nah, we won up there a couple of years ago in O'Neill's final season. Curtis Davies and Ashley Young scored, Torres got one for Liverpool to make it 2-1 and then we got the penalty which Ash scored about a minute later while the Liverpool fans were still cheering.

The game you are referencing was the win previous to that. Funnily enough all of them were 3-1.

Yeah, the last six weeks has been pretty positive. Even the 0-5 loss vs Manchester City wasnt as bad as it might have looked because the whole game swung on probably the worst penalty decision you will see all season (a City player shoved Weimann in the back at the near post from a City corner, ref points to the spot for handball against Weimann even though he didnt touch the ball with any part of his body) but we have performed well against difficult opposition and got good results even when we havent played well (Reading at home)

The big thing this year is we have a team full of players who are actually quite likeable, players who look like they give a shit and that hasnt been the case in recent seasons. We are hugely inexperienced, MotD said that Barry Bannan was the most experienced player in our team today, he is a 23 year old with 50 games under his belt and 25 of them are substitute appearances and I guess this means we will be inconsistent at times and we will buckle under pressure like we did against Manchester United but at least we can see progress and we have hope. I'd like to see this team stick together for a couple of years but I do fear we will lose Benteke and Westwood to bigger clubs if they keep playing like they have been of late.

The best moment from yesterday's game was after the 2nd goal, Westwood turned around to applaud the back five.

Team spirit, the thing we've lacked for ages, seems to have been instilled by Lambo. Youngest team in the prem this season, so I still think we'll get the occasional hiding, but I'm beginning to think we'll be ok. That result will do loads for confidence.

Still, a couple of buys in the transfer window wouldn't go amiss.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think the Wigan result was the worst of the season because it wasn't a case of us being able to just write it off as being beaten by a better team. We need to be beating the likes of Wigan at home if we want to stay up, the fact that we were absolutely thumped by them is alarming to say the least.

Swansea today was another one which is hard to call. MotD highlights flattered us hugely, we really could have been (and probably should have been) 4-0 down after about twenty minutes. We were torn to shreds repeatedly during the opening period of the game and only have Swansea's profligacy in front of goal and a lot of good fortune to thank that we were still in the game at half time. A much better performance in the second half implies that our fragile confidence was being restored and that late goal from Benteke looked like we would get a much needed three points and push on from there. Then there was the 94th minute equaliser.

It's always a kick in the balls when you concede that late and it begs the question; how will we react? A good point from a game we probably deserved to lose or a draw which feels like a defeat due to the timing of their equaliser? We seem to be a team who react extremely badly to things going against us, a lot of that is down to the age and experience of the players. Our oldest outfield player today was Chris Herd who is 23 (born April 1989) and even if you include the "old man" of our team, 28 year old Brad Guzan, the average age of the team is still the youngest we have ever fielded in the Premier League, and probably the youngest ever. It was 23 years and 3 months if you are wondering. There is something nice about seeing us use so many young players, but the last side who tried that in a big way were Gareth Southgate's Middlesbrough team of 2008/09. They got 32 points and only avoided finishing bottom because they had a slightly less shit goal difference than West Brom.

Well, in a shite month of what has been a shite season, tonight's performance stands out as being particularly shite. I'd normally spare my whine posts for the Villa forum I post on, but that appears to have collapsed under the weight of pissed off fans going there to slag off all involved this evening.

Dunno who comes out with any credit tonight. Weimann again I guess. Definitely the best player in our squad, and it is a real shame to see somebody so good be dragged down by such mediocrity all around him.

I've been getting games for free for the last two years as we have a Trinity Road box through work. Unfortunately we have the right to cancel the contract if Villa are relegated which is looking likely now to be honest. Championship footy and having to pay to watch it, double kick in the balls!

We're gone I think. We don't have momentum and have been circling the bowl for too long (MoN's seasons aside). I've been kidding myself that there is benefit to us going down (thinning the wage bill, clearing deadwood etc.) but I think we'd loose some genuinely good players, our manager who shows some promise in style and youth set up and most importantly cash.

What a load of old plop.

On the train home from the match,

I didn't think it could get any worse, but it really has, all that dancing about with the ball, fancy hollywood passes, waste if time. Bradford needed one chance and scored, we needed 20 and scored 2.

Well played Bradford, they deserve their day at Wembley

Aye. Its desperate stuff. All four goals we conceded over the tie were virtually identical. It's now reached the point where I would have preferred it if Weimann hadnt scored the goal which made us win on the night because it might just paper over the fucking huge cracks that are there for all to see except for the narcissistic bastards who play for, coach and own our club. I think of the entire playing staff the only one I would be sorry to see leave would be Weimann.

Just back now and utterly despairing. I can't see an answer, no cash for players (not that anyone would join), no strength in the squad, complete lack of defensive backbone, complete inability to deal with set pieces.

If we stay up on this form it will be a miracle.

Fair play to Bradford and hope they have a good go at the final mind, would much prefer to see them win it than Chelski or Swansea.