IGNORED

The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

I looked at the first few pages in this thread the other day. It's quite funny to chart the lows of O'Leary to the highs of MON and then normal service is resumed and we're officially shit again.

It's all happened before of course...league and Europen Champions to relegation five years later.

I wouldn't actually mind being as poor as we are now if it looked like we had some kind of plan for improvement over the next few years. Unfortunately it seems to be 'buy a load of cheap players and if we are exceptionally lucky a few will come good'. Yeah, well, good luck with that. For every Benteke there are probably five Tonevs.

I always remind myself with the Villa, it doesn't really matter how good or bad we are really...I'm stuck with them regardless. That cheers me up a bit when we get beat by Crystal Palace.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, we've also been linked to a move for Miroslav Klose who is about 75 or something. I wouldn't be surprised if Lambert does something stupid like selling Benteke now as we seem to have a surplus of front men.

We really need to strengthen defence and midfield.............

Am I missing something? I don't see what he can bring to you in any way, shape or form that you've been missing. One of the oddest loan signings I can think of. Best I can manage is that he might be able to hold the ball up a bit, but even that's a stretch.

Am I missing something? I don't see what he can bring to you in any way, shape or form that you've been missing. One of the oddest loan signings I can think of. Best I can manage is that he might be able to hold the ball up a bit, but even that's a stretch.

It's a panic buy from a club who have no money. Libor Kozak is a "target man" type striker and he broke his leg in training a week or so back so Lambert thinks he can replace him with Grant Fucking Holt. A player who hasn't scored since he converted a penalty against Middlesbrough in August. Wigan fans on the internet seem to be rejoicing that they have managed to get him off their books...

As good a player as he is, he's a cunt.

But...I can't really call it a dive. I think there was the faintest contact and he bought it. If he wasn't a such a little shit he could have stayed on his feet but he was never going to.

It's actually been hilarious hearing ex pros saying Guzan was at fault by coming out for the ball and giving him the opportunity to go down.

Yeah, it's a paradigm shift on diving. It happened four or five years ago if we are being honest.

Everybody has seen this by now. Neville is right of course. I'm not sure I agree with it's how things should be, but that doesn't stop me from accepting it's the way things are. Suarez did what he got paid to do when he went down but I do reserve the right to be annoyed about it.

I know what your saying, but contact isn't a foul. which is the thing that annoys me listening so called professionals commentate on incidents like that.

its like "he touched him you can see the contact there so its a pen." when did football become a non contact support?

The incident today anywhere else on the pitch and hes told to get up..but on the other side is how many times do you see players pulled to the ground and corners and nothing is given? and there is certainly contact when your pulling someone shirt off their back.

But then they say shit like "anywhere else and its a foul" surely if its a foul anywhere else on the pitch then its a foul in the penalty area ?!?

• 1 month later...

We won a game. At home.

Haven't got anything of worth to post but we win so infrequently that I thought I'd treat myself and bump this thread.

And I actually got to watch MOTD. I only watch it when we win so I was actually surprised to see that Mark Chapman was presenting it. I think it was Jimmy Hill last time I watched.

• 2 weeks later...

We won a game. At home. Again! I can watch Match Of The Day. Again!

Willian sending off was very harsh and did change the game. Ramires was a really bad challenge. Overall I think we just deserved it.

I mean, the injustice I felt in the reverse fixture is probably enough to make me feel ok about a dodgy red card helping us win this time.

We actually looked decent today, which if anything makes some of our other performances unfathomable.

Yeah, these things even themselves out over the course of a season and it is particularly true this year. In fact, I still think we were more hard done by with dodgy decisions over the course of the two fixtures.

Still, Jose Mourinho has zero wins in five visits to Villa Park. Nice little stat, that.

We are woefully inconsistent. We have beaten Arsenal, Manchester City & Chelsea this season. We have also lost to Palace, Fulham and West Ham without really having a shot on goal. We are relegation fodder when Vlaar isn't playing and Vlaar isn't exactly Franz Beckenbauer.

I think Lambert is doing as well as can be expected given the budget constraints (Chelsea probably had six or seven players on the pitch who cost more than our entire matchday squad) but I'm not sure where we really go from here, I suspect Benteke will be off in the summer and it wouldn't surprise me to see clubs starting to sniff around Delph before much longer. I think next season will be much the same as this. Lower mid table is the best we can hope for for a while. If we don't sort out the defence then we might have a season where things go against us and we do get relegated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Culverhouse and Karsa have been suspended.

There have been rumours about Culverhouse on VillaTalk for a few days. It was reported he had a blazing row with Gordon Cowans in training a couple of days ago and that Lambert tore him a new one (verbally) in front of all the players. There have also been rumours that a couple of people in the club have been doing things to undermine Lambert all season, someone who was clearly high up in the club was releasing information to various Villa forums earlier in the season. It all stinks, doesn't it? Best case scenario is we scrape survival and sack the lot of em in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...