IGNORED

The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

I wonder if this means Lerner will sell up. Just going by statements he has made of late it seems he may have had contact with interested parties. Just the other day David Cameron joked he was going to tout us to some of his wealthy Arab contacts. I may* even vote Tory if he sets a deal up. :lol:

*I still wont. ;)

Something needs to happen doesn't it? We've been very lucky that there were 3 teams worse than us for the last two years. In fact, I'm not actually sure that is true but the table doesn't lie etc.

Sooner or later that luck runs out and even if it doesn't there is little fun to be had being so bad. High points this year...our performances against the top four. Low points...everything else.

We need a billionaire who likes claret and blue.

Well, that was shite. Hopefully Lambert and Lerner will fuck off now and hand the keys over to somebody who at least gives a shit.

There is a whisper that all contract renegotiations have been put on hold until June, which implies somebody is about to make an offer. I'd like it to be Bill Gates, but it probably won't be.

• 3 weeks later...

He's handed his notice in at ITV so there must be something in it. Dunno what to make of it myself, it could be the kick up the arse some of the players need but at this point in time Roy Keane getting angry about things is so cliche that some people may struggle to take him seriously.

Look, with signings like Senderos it seems stupid to be chasing the likes of Roy Keane. Surely Fergie or Guardiola are more our level now?

As players, quite possibly. I think Lord Ferguson would be better than Tonev or Baker. Or most of the others, to be fair.

Bizarre change of policy once again from 'youth and hunger' to 'past it and hungry for money' - not sure we will be able to accommodate Bentner's wage demands or ego though.

For me letting Albrighton go on a free was the biggest head scratcher.

That said if free transfers are our only signings then let's get Barry, Lescott and Pirlo in!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Happened last season too did it not? Started the first 6 games very brightly and then began to struggle.

Can anyone see us staying up. Our form sine MON left has been close to relegation every single year. With ownership not resolved I can't see the club going anywhere quickly and another season fighting for nothing but avoidance of ignominy.

When McLeish was appointed I said I fully expected us to be relegated within five years. We are in year four of that prediction now and I still stand by it. If not this season then next, Vlaar and Delph are out of contract in July and they would be mad to sign new deals at Villa Park, Benteke wants out and if he regains any kind of form this season then he will be off to the first decent offer which comes in for him. He would have left in the summer had he got got injured last season and I think his red card might mean he stays with us in January because the international break in November means his three game ban will now keep him out of action until December 2nd (vs Palace) which probably means he won't be match fit until Christmas.

Maybe he will go on a tear in the second half of the season and score the goals we need but how to we replace him next year? Weimann and Gabby clearly aren't up to the job.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to call us lucky, so I'll settle for fortunate. One shot on target which was a result of a huge mistake from their keeper, hardly had any of the ball, created few chances, it's oh so depressingly familiar. At the moment we only pick up points when we get the rub of the green. Okore played well, Gabby turned up too which was nice to see but the lack of quality in this team is painfully obvious. Lowest home gate for more than 15 years and I think those of us who stayed at home don't feel like we missed much. Speaks volumes about the Lerner regime.

That's shocking.

No one's moaning about paying that to watch some real quality but for a bottom half team you'd think we'd reduce ticket prices just to get the attendances going in the right direction.

If I think back to the optimism when Lerner took over and O'Neill started, it's actually a bit sad. If only some oil billionaires had bought us instead. Doug, you prick.

• 2 weeks later...