IGNORED

The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

He's said in the Birmingham Mail that he is happy at Villa and prepared to sign if we can make him an acceptable offer. I presume that we are working with him on a daily basis will strengthen our case, but obviously we can't offer Champions League football. Cleverley has been superb since Tim Sherwood took over, it's not just the recent goals which have been indicative of his form, he's been excellent for two months and the goals are just the icing on the cake.

We now play with a system that suits Cleverley and he seems to enjoy playing with Delph & Grealish. He appears to be happy on and off the pitch at the moment which has to be a huge factor in what he decides to do with his future. I'd love him to sign which is a somewhat surprising thing to say because if you'd asked me about Cleverley in November/December/January I'd have offered to give the bloke a lift back to Cheshire.

Sherwood was always going to make us into a team who will either thump teams, or get thumped.

Basically, we're an eggshell armed with a hammer. They'll be good days and bad ones, but at least Sherwood seems to understand he's got to entertain fans (in this instance Southampton's).

I'll settle for that over Lambert's safety first policy of fear.

The villa fans were pretty awesome yesterday. Liked seeing all the fancy dress (conga line of sumo wrestlers and a banana were a highlight). The only time they were quiet was in the aftermath of the crazy hat trick. A large turnout too.

We've always had a decent away support, Sherwood has put a smile back on the fans face too. It's weird to say that you can be philosophical about a 6-1 drubbing, especially when you are only 4 points above the drop zone with 6 to play for, but things were so bad under McLeish and Lambert that the last couple of months have just been pure relief. We can take a thumping on the chin, I don't actually think it will affect our morale ahead of the Burnley game or the cup final. I still can't see us winning the cup, Arsenal are a much much better team than we are, but hope springs eternal and we will keep smiling until the fat lady sings.

I'll extend the love in too, I'm really pleased to see Southampton continuing to do well after having the squad harvested last summer, it gives us all hope that we don't need old money or petrochemical dollars in order to be competitive.

I presume the vultures will be circling again to whisk the likes of Schneiderlin and Clyne away but maybe you guys will be able to make a better case for them to hang around this summer. I'd like to see you win at Man City next too because that means you finish above Liverpool if they don't win away at Stoke. There will be something poetic about that if it happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back. Fucking knackered, somewhat annoyed, resigned to the fact that we don't have enough £35m+ players in the team to win anything.

You only had to win one game, and Swansea beat Arsenal the other week without any £35m+ players. You were in the final, you obviously could have won it, but Villa just didn't turn up at all. They had nothing.

Of course Arsenal have some expensive players, but that's an easy excuse and I'm sure you don't really believe that was the only reason you lost. It's just your frustration talking.

To be fair our 35+million pound players were pretty fucking good ????

But for me Coquelin, Cazorla, Bellerin all had great games, Mesut Özil just took the fucking piss though, he fucked about 3 villa players with one flick just sent them for lunch, they had no clue.

You only had to win one game, and Swansea beat Arsenal the other week without any £35m+ players. You were in the final, you obviously could have won it, but Villa just didn't turn up at all. They had nothing.

Of course Arsenal have some expensive players, but that's an easy excuse and I'm sure you don't really believe that was the only reason you lost. It's just your frustration talking.

There was absolutely an element of frustration, it's a long day, the 5:30 kick off time doesn't help (and Birmingham is probably the easiest place with a Premier League team outside of London to get back to from Wembley) but I stand by the fact we can't really compete. I watched the Arsenal - Swansea game, posted on it in the general thread in fact, it was the biggest smash and grab I've seen all season. We were basically trying to do the same thing, keep Arsenal at bay and hope to nick something. Sometimes that strategy works, usually it doesn't. I dare say if Arsenal had scored first against Swansea or someone in the team had hit a screamer like Sanchez did yesterday then Swansea would have capitulated and lost the game. Football is often decided on fine margins and sometimes when one goes against you the floodgates open.

My big problem is it seemed like we just gave up at 2-0. As soon as that goal went in it was game over, but it still angers me that our players so visibly gave up. We were the team running the clock down and that's not right, is it?

Big clearout in the summer I think. We should get good money for Benteke, but I can't see us generating significant funds from any of the other outgoings. I'd be looking at getting Cleverley in on a permanent basis and signing a new left back as a high priority. New striker, make a decision on what we want to do in central defence where we have had ridiculous levels of bad luck with injuries (Clark and Okore look decent together fwiw) and then look at getting a striker in if Kozak is looking like a write off. He's not kicked a ball in anger in 18 months, that broken leg might be something he never fully recovers from.

Looks like we (Derby) are signing Bent imminently, and now we're also linked with Weimann as he's out of favour with you guys. He's always looked good on Match of the Day, but that of course means nothing. Worthwhile signing? I've heard he's better as a striker than a winger, but considering Chris Martin is the focal point of our team and best player, I can't see how Weimann will fit in.

I loved Weimann when he broke into the team in 2011/12, he was our best player for prolonged periods. Decent finisher, incredibly hard worker. He's definitely a central striker, he just got kicked out to the wing because (seemingly) he was the guy in the squad least likely to complain about being played out of position.

He never quite kicked on for some reason and I'm not sure why. I can't decide whether he is a player who got the big contract he was after and now can't be arsed or it's just that utterly bereaved of confidence at the moment and a spell in a team who create a lot of chances is exactly what he needs. He's still young (turns 24 in the close season) and if £2m is to be believed then I think he is a steal.

Dafabet sponsorship deal is over, they've struck up a deal with Sunderland and rumours are we are getting sponsored by another stock trading company:

0PWLLX7.jpg

FX World are moving into sports sponsorship. They signed a deal with Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing stable in March.

Hmmm. FX World thing seems to be a non starter, at least as a main shirt sponsor. The club have just announced a deal with Intuit QuickBooks, a software company who sponsored West Bromwich Albion last season. (article)

oPYGGKV.jpg

This image on the front page of the official website, rumours the new kit will be unveiled in early July. No pinstripe. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently we've agreed a fee of £9m with Lille for Idrissa Gueye.

I don't know much about the guy but he's been linked with a move to the Premier League all summer, West Ham, Palace & Southampton are all supposedly interested too. He's a 25 year old defensive midfielder, Senegalese international.

It's Delph that really rankles after all his posturing about loving the club and being in it for the long haul last season.

Yes Fabian, unless someone activates your insultingly low get out clause.

I have no problem if he wants to go and bench warm for Citeh (tho you think Scott Sinclair might have a word about the wisdom of such a move) but don't chest beat about your commitment then disappear as soon as the big boys flash you some thigh.

EDIT: If the rumours are true of course. I got a bit swept up in a rant there.

It's a weird one, isn't it? I was at the Bournemouth game where his contract renewal was announced and the place went crazy after his speech. If he'd quietly signed a new deal and not done all the press talking about his commitment to the cause then people would probably be a bit more philosophical about him leaving as the contract means we got some money we weren't expecting. Now he will just be remembered as a liar if he goes.