The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

Why would he go to City? Does he not like playing football? Does he take lots of wanton glances at the bench during his games dreaming of spending his time in its comfort and warmth? Every idiot knows that City would be buying him just to fulfill their home grown quotas. Surely he's not oblivious to this?

Footballers are a strange bunch. I kinda get it too. Delph is, unbelievably, still only 25. He's got a couple of contracts in him yet so he's still young enough to gamble with a move like this in my opinion. He joined Villa in the same window as Gareth Barry left to sign for Manchester City and he had a year or so with James Milner before Milner signed for City. I'm not sure how friendly he is with either of those guys but I'd assume he is at least acquainted with both of them and may have asked them for advice on what to do. They both have positive experiences of their time at City so might tell him to go for it.

Add that to the fact that because footballers tend to spend their time surrounded by people who tell them they are brilliant then more often than not they have an awful lot of faith in their own ability (sometimes misguided but that's academic when it comes to transfers like this) and as the last year has seen Delph force his way into the England squad despite being in a shit team then it's understandable, to me at least, that he might fancy his chances of playing at Manchester City.

Maybe he's weighing up whether to go now safe in the knowledge that he will still be young enough to resurrect his career in a couple of seasons if it doesn't work out for him up there or to stay loyal here where mid table obscurity is seen as a good season and spend the rest of his career wondering what would have happened if he did decide to go for it?

Take the emotional attachment out of this because it's Villa and I think it becomes a much more interesting question. Add the fact that Delph will probably make a fucking fortune out of the deal if it's on the table and I really wouldn't be surprised if he does go.

Footballers are a strange bunch. I kinda get it too. Delph is, unbelievably, still only 25. He's got a couple of contracts in him yet so he's still young enough to gamble with a move like this in my opinion. He joined Villa in the same window as Gareth Barry left to sign for Manchester City and he had a year or so with James Milner before Milner signed for City. I'm not sure how friendly he is with either of those guys but I'd assume he is at least acquainted with both of them and may have asked them for advice on what to do. They both have positive experiences of their time at City so might tell him to go for it.

Add that to the fact that because footballers tend to spend their time surrounded by people who tell them they are brilliant then more often than not they have an awful lot of faith in their own ability (sometimes misguided but that's academic when it comes to transfers like this) and as the last year has seen Delph force his way into the England squad despite being in a shit team then it's understandable, to me at least, that he might fancy his chances of playing at Manchester City.

Maybe he's weighing up whether to go now safe in the knowledge that he will still be young enough to resurrect his career in a couple of seasons if it doesn't work out for him up there or to stay loyal here where mid table obscurity is seen as a good season and spend the rest of his career wondering what would have happened if he did decide to go for it?

Take the emotional attachment out of this because it's Villa and I think it becomes a much more interesting question. Add the fact that Delph will probably make a fucking fortune out of the deal if it's on the table and I really wouldn't be surprised if he does go.

I think all of your post is spot on but the highlighted bits are especially relevant - and -the people who surround them and tell them they are brilliant are also probably going to make a fucking fortune out of the deal.

Moving from Club A to Big Club X to even sit on the bench can bring medals. You only need 5 as a playing substitute to qualify for a Premier League medal. You don't even need to have played a single minute for a Champions League medal - UEFA give the club 40 to distribute as they see fit.

It's a weird one, isn't it? I was at the Bournemouth game where his contract renewal was announced and the place went crazy after his speech. If he'd quietly signed a new deal and not done all the press talking about his commitment to the cause then people would probably be a bit more philosophical about him leaving as the contract means we got some money we weren't expecting. Now he will just be remembered as a liar if he goes.

Exactly. It's not like making that kind of statement was expected.

Moving from Club A to Big Club X to even sit on the bench can bring medals. You only need 5 as a playing substitute to qualify for a Premier League medal. You don't even need to have played a single minute for a Champions League medal - UEFA give the club 40 to distribute as they see fit.

But why would a footballer want to do that? A rhetorical question cos I know exactly why but I find it crazy that someone be a bit part player for a couple of medals they couldn't even really say they earned.

Well I never.

Perhaps he actually meant what he said.

I'm happy to eat humble pie on this one for sure.

I look forward to his biography to see what actually happened in the last few days. Unless of course it wasn't anything and he was far to busy with his family to care about what a bunch of internet nut jobs thought.

The Birmingham Mail are saying he had agreed personal terms with City, not sure how true that is but I'd presume they have some kind of inside info.

I feel like a dick now for telling the girl in the club shop that I didn't want a name printed on the back of the new shirt because we'd probably just sell whoever I chose. :lol:

everybody seems quick to blame it but nobody knows the story - what if Villa told him they wanted him to go to get the money in and his wages off the books with Benteke looking likely to leave too - they may want to raise funds to let Tim Sherwood have a rebuild

it also pretty hard to turn down a vast pay rise in your job whatever you do, he's an employee first, not a fan.

He didn't need to do the press release in January knowing full well he had a release clause which undervalued him. He certainly didn't need to pull that shit last week. You can't really blame him for leaving but you can be very annoyed at the manner he went about it.

Well. Next season will be something to look forward to.

Depends on how much gets spent in the rest of the window. So far, from a money point of view at least, we have basically swapped Weimann for Sinclair, Vlaar for Richards and Delph for Gueye. We've spent £10m of the Benteke money on Amavi who will hopefully solve the left back problem which has been crippling us for years. Given and Bent are off the wage bill too. You could see it that we are still playing with house money and even if we drop £15m+ on a striker we could come out of this window in the black. We've been linked with Charlie Austin and Diego Rolan (22 year old Uruguay international, 15 league goals for Bordeaux last season) both of whom we could probably afford.

I'll be fucking annoyed if we end up with Gabby, Kozak and Adebayor as our senior strikers next season. Gabby would have been down the road years ago if he wasn't a local lad who likes scoring in derby games, Kozak hasn't kicked a ball in anger in 18 months and as for Adebayor, I've never been one for signing a player that the selling club are seemingly desperate to get rid of. I'd take him on loan for the final year of his Spurs contract. I'd sooner run the risk of losing him for free next summer if he has a good season than giving Spurs a fee and him a multi year contract when he's 31 years of age, clearly having personal problems off the pitch and has a reputation for going entire seasons where he simply can't be arsed.

I don't think there is huge pressure to sign another talismanic striker like Benteke though. We need to increase the number of goals we get from midfield because they have been way below par for years now. Have the midfield even managed ten goals a season between them since the days of Young, Milner & Downing? Probably not. You'd fancy Sinclair to chip in with half a dozen which is promising. Gueye looks about as prolific as Delph was (ie, not very) but N'Zogbia and Bacuna should step up and get a few even if they aren't guaranteed starters in this team. A few from Grealish and Gil and maybe you get back ten of the goals that we lose from not having Benteke in the team. Having a centre forward who is good for 12-15 goals might be OK if the midfield pull their weight for once.

Villa are going down

Well, we can't all be awesome like you can we?

I think Zog needs to go. One decent performance every ten just isn't good enough for the guy that was bought to replace Young AND Downing.

I would like to see us use the Tekkers money to get one proven goal scorer (but not Adebayor under any circumstance) and take a punt on another young up-and-comer from Europe.

I'm not sure Austin is the answer. From the bits I've seen, he's more of an out and out finisher like Bent, and doesn't contribute much outside the box. I'm not sure we can carry him, when we're not attacking. If we could, why not just keep Bent?

We defo need a decent striker. Benteke has kept us up on his own for the last three seasons, and Gabby isn't the answer (unless the question is 'who has one good game in fifteen'). Yet again, the club looks directionless and I'm fairly sure we'll be in a relegation dogfight again.

Rudy Gestede, Jordan Veretout and Adebayor (on loan) all meant to be inbound in the next couple of days.

It packs the squad out, if nothing else, but can't claim to have much knowledge of the first two.

And too much knowledge about the third

• 2 weeks later...

Adama signing confirmed this morning. There has been so much hyperbole about this kid that I'm beginning to wonder why he didn't with the ballon d'Or last season. I hope he's not crushed by unrealistic expectations because skinning defenders in the third tier of Spanish football and being a wonderkid on FM2015 is quite different to doing it for real in a mediocre Premier League team.

I'm not confident we will beat Manchester United tonight but I'm optimistic about the season. 50 points and 50 goals would be lovely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...