The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

We need it. I don't think we've played well since the cup semi final. I expect Liverpool will beat us next weekend, Sherwood will come out after the game and say he doesn't understand why as he thought we played well and then someone like Micah Richards will express how disappointed all the players are and how they plan to put it right next week. Expect they won't.

I do wonder what will happen if we lose tonight. Sherwood is doing his best to talk it up, I see some pundits are laughing at him because it's an easy joke to make, but I think Sherwood is fully aware just how big a deal this game is to the fans, and by extension to his job security. The problem is he is getting something of a reputation for making bold statements before games and only for the team not to turn up. We've not played well since that little run of games where we beat Spurs away, Everton at home, scared the crap out of Man City away and beat Liverpool in the cup. That feels like a very long time ago and pretty much all the goodwill it generated has evaporated.

Small Heath on the other hand have nothing whatsoever to lose tonight. If they get beat then they lost to a Premier League club and can go back to concentrating on the league (I think the playoffs are a realistic target) but if they win then they really get to have some fun at our expense. I don't think Villa fans are ever in the mood for being the butt of their jokes but tonight could be a real turning point. I hope the players realise this isn't just a midweek cup game, it's much much more.

I wouldn't say we haven't played well, we've played some pretty good stuff (well, better than we're used to anyway) we just can;t shake that Villa mentality and actually put games away. We were shit against the Baggies tho.

I too fear the result tonight. Have a bad feeling.

And breathe.

Deserved win tonight. Didn't play very well at all in the first half, Grealish and Ayew changed the game completely in the second. Still not sure about Gestede, he's a monster in the air, you might make an argument he's one of the best in the league at getting on the end of things with his head but with the ball at his feet he doesn't look like a Premier League player to me. One of Benteke's biggest assets was (is?) his first touch, the ball sticks to him and as a result he brings others into the game. Gestede doesn't appear to have that in his locker, balls just bounce off of him at crazy angles and as a result we can't really call on him to hold the ball up.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the board will pull the trigger on Tim until the New Year (probably after the transfer window has closed).

Me, I'd sack him now, and get Big Sam before he goes to the Mackems.

I hate Allardyce and the dreadful, regressive football he plays. But at least it's effective, dreadful, regressive football.

Bring on the Dudley Dinosaur.

I was watching a little bit of that Rooney praise-athon on TV last night and at one point Ronaldo popped up and said how much he enjoyed playing with Wayne and that, who knows, they could be reunited at some point in the future, wink wink. I did think at the time that this was an astonishingly blatant hint that both of them had just signed pre-contract agreements at the Villa so your post is adding to a mounting pile of evidence.

But if we sign Rooney then how do we find space in the team for Sergio Aguero? The Argentine star was reportedly seen looking at property in Alum Rock and Shard End today so I'm presuming it's a done deal as soon as the January window opens. I'm all for having an abundance of attacking talent on the pitch but we need to have a little bit of balance?

But if we sign Rooney then how do we find space in the team for Sergio Aguero? The Argentine star was reportedly seen looking at property in Alum Rock and Shard End today so I'm presuming it's a done deal as soon as the January window opens. I'm all for having an abundance of attacking talent on the pitch but we need to have a little bit of balance?

They'd probably work quite well together to be honest, as long as both don't come deep at the same time. Even if they do, you'll still have Agbonlahor anyway.

It's easier to say who shouldn't be near it I think. Worryingly those names are probably high up the likely appointment list. Pearson... Bradley...

Whoever comes in needs to do an exceptional job instantly, we are in trouble. Who we end up with will say a lot about the coming months.

I'd be amazed if Rodgers was remotely interested. What's he got to work with? At Liverpool he at least had money from the board a crop of players to build around. Besides, I don't think Rodgers would be any good in a relegation scrap - you should be able to find somebody better suited than him.