IGNORED

The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

Aye.  I’m warming to the idea now.
My gut is still that we are recruiting poorly and now we’ve got to figure out how to make an increasingly top heavy squad function as a team because Coutinho isn’t going to prevent opposition midfields running straight through us, but clearly Gerrard knows more about football than I do and maybe this is all leading to some master plan next season.   

We have to sign a centre back now Tuanzebe is gone, Gerrard clearly wants to upgrade Targett and everyone and his dog knows we need a big midfield destroyer type, so I'm hoping Coutinho is more us taking advantage of an opportunity than signing a flashy name and closing the chequebook.

Who loses from the current squad? Buendia or Super John McGinn seem like the most likely to make way for Coutinho.  

Thinking about how it works on the pitch then I've got this: 

506732767_lineup(1).png.28163a036880683d359080bcc05e9a20.png

Gerrard's fairly narrow 4-3-3.   I think Ramsey has to play if we don't want to get overrun in midfield. A proper number 6 has got to be a high priority I guess, the injury to Nakamba seems even more of a big deal now as we don't get a couple of months to look at him as the season closes out before deciding what to do in the summer, now he's immune from judgement until the opening day of next season so we've got to hope that his good form in the first month under Gerrard was something more than a purple patch.   We've seen that before from Villa players (El Ghazi and Trez turning into Pele for a month then reverting back to mediocrity being obvious examples) so I can see the base of midfield thing remaining unresolved for some time yet. 

(Either that or we sign someone who bosses AFCON on deadline day!) 

It’s costing us £4m in wages, with an option to buy for £35 mil.

If he’s 80% of the player he was, he’ll be great. If he’s 8% he’s still better than AEG.

We’re meant to be interested in Hickey at left back, who looks ok on paper, but I don’t see enough Italian football to judge.

No idea who we’ll try and get in as a DM. I thought we might move Tuanzebe there, but that’s a non starter now.

Hickey looks to make sense - we were linked when he went to Italy IIRC, Gerrard has seen him play in the SPL and McPhee worked with him at Hearts. Can't say I know much about him but Gerrard knows what he needs from a fullback so hopefully he's what we need.

The DM I've no idea on. We absolutely need one. We were supposedly keen on Doucoure(sp?), the Mali international who plays in France, but with the AFCON on I can't imagine we'd move for him now. And tbh January feels like a difficult time to get anyone of that sort in at the level we need to kick on.

• 1 month later...

Well.

We're shite at the moment. Letting a 2 goal lead to against a faltering Leeds (who we just can't seem to play against), and today being absolutely tragic against a 12 man Newcastle... 2 games into a 5 game run of 'winnables' off the back of a mini preseason and a decent transfer window and we look like we did at the end of Smith's tenure. Dire.

I don't think the squad is up to the way Gerrard wants to play, and I'm not convinced Gerrard or his team is good enough to come up with something else that works while we bring in players that can hack the style they want. Season's a write off, the worrying thing is we're not safe. It would be a huge upset, but until we mathematically safe in not feeling confident at the moment.

You think they’d be busting a nut to keep their place. Gerrard obviously has problems with their attitude, rather than their ability. He wanted Targett to stay and fight for his place, but he wasn’t up for it. Gerrard has repeatedly said he doesn’t want us to be a club who wins one, then loses one, and a lot of that speaks to the players being content to poorly along in mid table.

I think there’ll be a lot of exits in the summer, including a fair few of our bigger names.

Just now, Naysonymous said:

Who knew our entire season revolved around the fitness of Marvellous Nakamba?

And yet we spend countless millions on other players and don't buy the DM we need more than ever 

• 1 month later...

It does seem that we're very much all or nothing under Gerrard. The performance against Wolves was fucking dire, especially in the first half, and I'm not convinced he actually knows that a big part of the reason why is his style being reliant on wing backs playing at 100% for 90mins, when we don't have the best fullbacks in the world.

I'm also worried he's going to hurl money at names at the end of their career. I suspect we're going to see a lot of ex-Liverpool turning up, which in the case of Coutinho isn't the worst thing, but if it turns into bringing in the likes of Suarez for a last payday, it'll end in tears.

Yep.  Recruitment hasn't been the best despite the club constantly saying how important it is to get stuff like that right, even before Gerrard.    I've not been sure about Ings since day one and we are definitely going to take a bath on that one financially,  Buendia has been OK and Bailey has been injured so often I guess the jury is still out there. 

Since Gerrard came in it appears we might be falling into the trap of just signing who is available or whose agent wants to get them a move instead of identifying specific players for specific roles and pursuing them.  The Ings signing definitely reeks of an agent knowing we had £30m to spend (the Smith-Rowe and Ward-Prowse bids were hardly subtle) and making sure we spent it somewhere.  A lot of people feel like we let Targett go too cheaply, Newcastle dropped £25m on a 30 year old Chris Wood and the best we can do is a loan until the end of season?   I think the club will back Gerrard in the summer, we will definitely spend again, it's just I'm starting to get the impression we are Everton circa 2017. 

The Targett move is completely bizarre. I get he would have wanted to be first choice and he can't play the way Gerrard wants, but still, sending him on loan with no real back up for the position only helps Newcastle and the player. And given Digne picks up niggles, particularly stupid as well.

Ings I get. We needed another striker, Watkins alone isn't enough, and we needed a bit of a name to soften Grealish going. We bought him knowing he's going to be lost money but he's proven goals in this league.

Buendia has shown he's got something, his issue is he doesn't particularly fit Gerrard's style. Which might be an issue. But he's probably got the best vision in the club besides Coutinho. Very slick through balls.

Bailey is hard to judge because he's basically been a sick note, and also is another that doesn't fit the Gerrard set up. Which again suggests the idea we're trying to develop a cohesive style and approach is being put in the bin.

We're going to chuck money at names Gerrard likes in the summer and it will end in tears.

Suggestions that Gerrard has told Konsa’s agent that he’ll listen to offers for him. Arsenal allegedly interested. 

Konsa is our best defender, not sure what he’s done to piss Gerrard off.

I get the impression that Gerrard thinks a lot of the squad are mentally weak, and are happy settling for ending up 10th (or thereabouts). 

Pretty good I’m imagine. His injury record would concern me, and I don’t see him as much of an upgrade on what we’ve got.

Still, he’s played for Liverpool and is therefore a ‘winner’.

North Stand is getting levelled and a new stand going up, boosting capacity to over 50k, Villa Village in the North Stand car park is getting pulled down, hospitality and retail stuff completely redone, local infrastructure being worked on... Longer term entire stadium is getting a refurb. Good stuff, the North Stand is an eyesore and far, far too small and a few bits of the stadium are looking tired. And we basically don't have any hospitality outside the the stadium or 'match day experience' crap.

Timed nicely for the 125th birthday of Villa Park.

:wub:

It's way overdue and I know the club have been on about redevelopment of the North Stand since the very early days of Randy Lerner before he decided to run the club into the ground.   Villa Park has certainly had planning permission for 50k for the best part of fifteen years as far as I'm aware.    It will be interesting to see it go because for myself (and I dare say a lot of fans) it will mean all four sides of the stadium will have been redeveloped in our lifetimes as you'd probably have to be in your fifties to remember the old Witton End at Villa Park. 

The amount of space at that end of the stadium is ridiculous.  It must be almost as big as the stadium again and the possibilities of what can be done with it are immense, yet the club have basically decided to use it as a car park for decades.  I really hope they do something cool with it, Purslow is making all the right noises about having an area which people will use on non match days too and I'd like to see something there which gives fans a reason to hang around after the final whistle on match days. Part of the problem with congestion around Villa Park is that you've got 42000 people all trying to leave within five minutes.  For a residential area I think the transport links are good, or they certainly have the potential to be good and it's not the barren wasteland that some people seem to present it as.  There are two stations on two different lines within very short walking distance and it's barely a mile from Spaghetti Junction.   Yes there are some constraints, Aston Hall being the obvious one, but there is plenty of land nearby for multi story car parks to be built.  I know Wembley fairly well and if multi story car parks were the answer there (and there are certainly enough of them within range of the stadium) then they can certainly work in B6. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looking like Coutinho is staying then, fee rumoured to be as low as £17m.    I've not moved too much on my opinion of him, at the time I felt us taking him (much like Ings, and possibly Digne and Bailey?) was the product of agents pushing their players onto us rather than us targeting them and Coutinho in particular was maybe the answer to a problem we didn't have.   He's provided some wonderful moments and the fee is ridiculously cheap but I still think we'd be better off spending the money in midfield so we don't get completely overrun all the time.    

If he does sign then I guess that's the end of the road for Bertie, not sure who'd take him, and I can't see Gerrard sticking with Leon Bailey for much longer either. I get he's been injured all season, but he looks like he's missed his window of opportunity to make an impact. 

I'm kinda ok with any scenario with Coutinho provided it doesn't impact spending elsewhere. It's a statement, even with his star fading, and he's still got ability that's probably a step beyond anyone else we've got.

As for the squad generally... Traore is done. He's too inconsistent, gets knocks too much, and plays in a style Gerrard doesn't utilise. He'll be loaned out if we can't palm him off to a midtable team in Spain/Italy/Germany/France (or maybe one of the big Turkish sides).

Bailey is a difficult one. He's got loads of talent and was big money, but he's another winger in a club that doesn't want to use wingers now, he's permanently injured and he's not much cop defensively. He's likely another loan out to see if he can get some fitness back ahead of a sale.

Luiz is likely to be sold as he doesn't really fit if we get the true DM we obviously need. He doesn't want to play as a DM anyway, he's not displacing Ramsey or McGinn as the managers favourites and he's not going to sit on our bench. Which is a huge shame because I think he's potentially a really good CM in the right team.

Sanson is obviously off. Which is another one that feels like a missed opportunity. He's clearly a decent player but like Bailey kept getting injured and couldn't get into the side, and then hasn't set the world alight in the brief opportunities he's got.

Konsa will probably go. He's gone completely off the boil in the past year or so. He's got a good career ahead of him but needs to get his form back.

I'd be open to letting Watkins go to be honest, if a good bid came in and we had a good replacement lined up. He's too frustrating, the classic good footballer who isn't a great striker but works fucking hard. He isn't a natural finisher and attacks often die when he's asked to do anything but run onto the ball.

All of the senior loan players will be ditched at the first chance.

My only worry then is what we're likely to get in. I'm genuinely concerned we're going to chuck money at Liverpool cast offs and Gerrard's old mates. Coutinho is one thing, but the likes of Suarez..

Yep. Terms seem very favourable to Villa.  Clearly Coutinho wasn’t getting many other offers but if the stories are true and he’s on the same wages as guys like Ings and Buendia then I’ll take it. 

The terms are a bit of a bargain, even if the heights of his career are behind him we're basically buying him for average player money these days and he's taken a huge paycut.

Narrative klaxons ahoy with Villa standing in the way of Grealish winning the league next weekend.   

I think I'll maybe leave my thoughts on the season until next weekend, but right now (just like the football and results offered up by Gerrard & co) it seems like we've done the absolute bare minimum to be considered acceptable.  The team isn't as good as it was last season, and that's not just because we lost Jack. Lots of players have regressed this year and I think it's probably only Matty Cash who has improved. 

On 15/05/2022 at 21:17, Naysonymous said:

Narrative klaxons ahoy with Villa standing in the way of Grealish winning the league next weekend.   

I think I'll maybe leave my thoughts on the season until next weekend, but right now (just like the football and results offered up by Gerrard & co) it seems like we've done the absolute bare minimum to be considered acceptable.  The team isn't as good as it was last season, and that's not just because we lost Jack. Lots of players have regressed this year and I think it's probably only Matty Cash who has improved. 

Would agree with most of that, but I’d add Ramsay to the improvement pile.