The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

Word round the campfire (well, Twitter) is that Diego Carlos’ injury is kinda serious and he’s not going to kick a ball again in 2022. It’s good that we’ve got a little bit of depth at centre back but damn, talk about bad luck.  

So into the just couple of weeks of the transfer window and we're largely putting out the same team we did when we limped to the finish line last season. Hmm.

I've no faith in us doing much more business. I'd hoped we'd do something else in midfield, and possibly up front. Now with Carlos out we've spent and have anything to show for it, and I just cannot see us spending to replace his presence in the team. In which case this season is basically Einstein's definition of madness, just with a DM finally.

1 hour ago, Hamus said:

Pissed off. Or motivated?

I think probably pissed off.  The 'when he can look me in the eye' line,  doesn't strike me as motivational.  I think all that sort of stuff should be kept behind closed door.  Praise in public,  bollock in private. 

i had some faith in villa when i saw they bough carlos but even watching them against everton i was surprised how tame they were, esp digne. kind of fitting he put the ball in his own net to lose the clean sheet. kamara looked decent but why do you buy someone to replace dougie luiz? arguably one of the best DM in the league 

Luiz isn't a true DM. He had a period post lockdown where he was imperious in the role, but after then he's been 'ok' at best, and clearly doesn't want to play that role. He suits being a ball playing deep lying midfielder rather than a true DM, and facnies himself being more truly box to box. He also has contract issues in respect of running it down into his final year, which meant even if he was a great DM we needed to be wary of him leaving shortly.

9 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Douglas Luiz is not a DM.  

I always thought he could be a DM for a team like City.

Where they have loads of possession, so he’d do less Ding allowing more time to M.

38 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

While Poch sits unemployed it does seem careless to let Gerrard carry on...

Even if it's unlikely he'd join, you'd have to have the conversation. At least.

Right now we basically don't have a manager.

1 minute ago, BabelRich said:

What the fuck happened to Ezri Konsa?

A year ago he was looking so good it was nailed on that Man City would poach him at some point. Now he wouldn’t be poached by Stourbridge Town. 

I can’t think of a single player who has improved under Gerrard. There’s no system, no understanding of how they’re meant to play. We’re like a budget Man Utd.

Three wins in fourteen. Norwich, Burnley and Everton. Are there three teams in the league that look worse than us?

There's no tactics, no strategy. He has 1 plan, and it doesn't work, so then he just plays what he believes are his best players at any given time, which neglects to account for his preferred midfield not working. And it never, ever gets better.

Today we were appalling.

He must be sacked.

High expectations.  He had a breakthrough season last year and was given a new contract this time. I’d figured he’d start the league cup game against Bolton but didn’t purely because the team were so bad against Bournemouth and Palace that Gerrard didn’t dare lose so he picked Danny Ings. 

The new North Stand looks awesome from the Holte in that render.

Villa Live is still a bit...well, it's a big brick facaded box. But it does the job. I do have concerns about it becoming a white elephant but I guess you've got to start somewhere in getting Aston to improve.

Have we had a post match interview yet?   I know he'll say "dat's on me" and talk about how their goal was deflected, but we offered nothing today.   Everything I feared about Coutinho has basically happened too. 

His subs today were absurd. Luiz is playing well, McGinn is rough, of course he takes off Luiz. He takes off Ings for Bailey, for some reason. And then he brings on Archer with 2 minutes of stoppage left.

I hate him.