The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

“There’s no one more frustrated than me. I’m all in to make it work, and my staff are, too.”

Gerrard’s post match quote.  I mean it’s bullshit isn’t it? He’s here for the short term, we are all lifers.  If it fails he goes back to being a multi-millionaire who in very worst case scenario gets unlimited offers for media duties.  We are left with a squad full of ageing pros on big wages.  It’s the Everton trajectory without so much as a couple of fun years of winning football. 

He's also thrown the team inner the bus again by suggesting he's giving his all (which may be true, I suspect his all managerially would struggle to fill an egg cup) and that they are not matching his efforts.

He's a charlatan.

Way before. If he wasn’t Purslow’s vanity project he’d be gone already. 

Write off Arsenal and City; lose to Leicester and Southampton and he must surely be gone. 

It’s just Sherwood 2.0.

It's probably correct, but we did make £120m profit on the sales of Jack Grealish and Carney Chukwumeka so it relies on a rather narrow definition of the term.   I think it's more indicative of the mood surrounding Villa Park at the moment than anything else. People are looking for ways to show their displeasure at the management team. 

The replies say we made a profit on Matt Targett and Scott Sinclair. 

• 4 weeks later...

There's an inevitability about him being sacked now you feel. We weren't even bad today, Chelsea won through an individual error, a great free kick, and the keeper having a great afternoon shot stopping. We had chances but didn't put them away. But that doesn't put points on the board and a decent... third of a match doesn't wipe out that we've been dire this season and dire for most of Gerrard's tenure.

He has to go.

Just now, theredstar said:

Surely, this is the end for Gerrard?

He's done.

You can't survive the kind of record he has and this performance is a proper 'everyone in the club knows he's finished' one. The away fans have completely turned on him.

And there's evidence of a mysterious amount of money a couple of days ago going into the club from the owners which looks decidedly like payoff money.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Poch and Emery are the names that seem to be top of the list. Ambitious, but looks like the owners are prepared to spend big money to get a top man.

They’re definitely going to top the list along with Tuchel, but if they don’t land one those, who would you feel optimistic about ? Someone like Scott Parker ? I shouldn’t imagine Sean Dyche’s brand of football would excite Villa fans, but maybe a bigger budget would allow him to play a different style. 

8 minutes ago, Jammy said:

They’re definitely going to top the list along with Tuchel, but if they don’t land one those, who would you feel optimistic about ? Someone like Scott Parker ? I shouldn’t imagine Sean Dyche’s brand of football would excite Villa fans, but maybe a bigger budget would allow him to play a different style. 

If we appoint Dyche or Scott Parker there should be pitchforks and flaming torches en masse at Villa Park.

Thomas Frank would be about the lowest I'd be enthused about. But I think it's one of those things where you need to see the names in the hat and judge them from there.

When we appointed Gerrard I wanted Favre, obviously that ain't happening now. But I'd hope the ambition and the money on offer can win over a good name.

I'd be gutted if we go Dyche or Parker.  Scott Parker's main talent appears to be making the guy who follows him look better.    Thomas Frank is one I can see us going for, but I think if you get him you've got to take the entire Brentford backroom staff and I think that then becomes problematic.  Brentford are the result of years of careful and clever management, the sort of thing we were led to believe that Villa were going to try and implement when NSWE took over the club in 2018/19.   You'd hope they've done a lot of research and will have somebody at least on a handshake deal before the trigger was pulled on Gerrard.  I'd really want a coaching setup who can implement a clever tactical system and get the best out of the very talented players we have at the club, rather than a big name who will just increase the media profile of the club.    I've had concerns about the direction the club was taking ever since the Danny Ings signing and it's all playing out exactly as I'd feared.