IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

He rolled around like an idiot but that was obvious what Lamela was doing .....casually walking past Fabregas that close...lol!

Also, Walker should have gone and probably Dier. Clattenburg lost the match,  it could have ended in some serious injuries. 

Knowing that it was highly unlikely that Spurs could steal the title (especially with Chelsea playing Leicester on the last day), I really enjoyed watching Spurs give Chelsea a proper bashing,  That final 10 minutes was ugly!

FFS I dared to dream and once again we conceded goals when we were ahead :(

Fair play to Leicester, they were awesome all season.

Hopefully this will be lesson learnt for Spurs - we really need to learn to close down games dead.  And stop falling for Chelsea's entirely predictable antics.

I'm just popping into this thread to say that I really feel for you guys. Not only have you missed out on the title, you're pretty much the only fans who can't enjoy Leicester's triumph. It's like the rest of the country is having a party and you're not invited. :(

3 hours ago, Danster said:

No, there were a lot of bad tackles, but the lamela stamp on fabregas was nothing of the sort. Fabregas reached out and swiped his hand against Lamela‘s leg/foot.

having another look at this and actually I just can't tell:

He stands on his left hand, which is the one that he shows to the referees later. The swipe was with his right hand, presumably to get the footballer off his hand.

Yeah, I don't think you can paint Fabregas as the villain here. You can't really say that Lamella did it deliberately either, though. He might have done, and he did seem uncharacteristically wound-up all game, but there's too much doubt over intent to hand out a ban, surely.

Edit - Lamella is looking to his left, towards his manager, who seems to be saying something to him. He never looks at Fabregas. It looks like an accident, and in fact Lamella doesn't seem to realise what happened. Fabregas reacts angrily, exaggerating, but having your hand stood on is bloody painful, and he was probably already pissed off with how he was getting kicked about. If it wasn't for the generally antagonistic nature of the match, we wouldn't even be talking about the incident.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2016 at 9:59 PM, davidcotton said:

Sorry, where are Arsenal again?

:P

:lol:

On 4/26/2016 at 8:57 AM, meatbin said:

It would be a shame to finish lower than 2nd now, but we only need one win to secure that.

It's been an amazing season (so far) to mainly see the team develop, and watch the beautiful football we've been playing.   We also have a CL spot, (hopefully) finished above the Tube Station, new stadium coming, a very young team, and no more Thursday nights.  The future looks bright (lilywhite).

On 5/3/2016 at 2:33 AM, Jammy said:

Well that's that knackered then. The team need to regroup and make sure they secure 2nd.

I'm sorry. I've just come in and seen the results! If I was a bookie I'd be calling for a stewards' enquiry. Chinese betting syndicate ahoy!

It's been an incredible season and I've been proud of the team's work in getting third in the table. Would have bitten your hand off for that at start of the season and really excited about the future.

This is the first time I've ever known the fans of all our rivals jealous of Spurs but they've been classy throughout. Ahem. 

This isn't really my regular thread but I have to say, Arsenal were also rans for the entire season, they only took that 2nd place because your lot were so deflated from a long hard campaign. They don't have englands no. 1 centre forward, or the MOTD goal of the season. They were celebrating their pipped second place to an embarrassing degree, Wenger was smug as he's ever been afterwards, and yup, they win nothing, you both get CL football, they get an extra few million quid from the prize pot to stash away and not spend on anyone. The league might say 2 and 3 next to the names but one of those teams is treading water, and the other is on the way up.

4 hours ago, angel said:

They don't have englands no. 1 centre forward, or the MOTD goal of the season. 

Tottenham have accomplished a lot this season so you really should feel a bit embarrassed for writing that as their highlight :D Unless it's sarcasm and you're having a dig at them, in which case ignore me.

I'm really upset at how we finished the season.  If Spurs want to actually win the title, they really really really need to cut out this kind of nonsense (losing games they really shouldn't lose).  It's why I actually admire the likes of Alex Ferguson's Man Utd (yeah, admire) - even when his side didn't win the title you knew that they would always make it tough for their rivals, and they didn't go and lose stupid matches to weak teams, or if they did they always made their opponents work for it big time.  We really need to be consistently tougher, and when the chance comes - take it (like those games against West Ham and Arsenal when we had the chance of going top).  I haven't a clue what the hell we did in the last four games but we didn't play like a side that wanted the title.

On the flipside, we finished 3rd and are straight into the Champions League, and we challenged for the top spot for most of the latter half of the season.

Still utterly gutted at yesterday's total embarrassment of a game.

3 hours ago, Radish said:

Tottenham have accomplished a lot this season so you really should feel a bit embarrassed for writing that as their highlight :D Unless it's sarcasm and you're having a dig at them, in which case ignore me.

Did I miss something, I didnt say that was the highlight, thats a sign of good progress after so many promising but fading times. Golden boot winning striker, young sought after manager, goal of the season, champions league. Take away leicester and you win the league, arsenal only rallied when it didnt matter, as usual.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Cant say I am too happy with this signing but at least he is pretty cheap I suppose.

I hope he doesn't mind sitting on the bench for most of the season though as his passing is so poor the only position he can really play is back up to Dier.

I'm hoping it means that Pochettino can rotate more often and give players a rest in both midfield and defence without worrying about a drop off in quality. With Wimmer proving himself a capable understudy to Vertonghen last season and Dier being able to play both as the holding CM and a right sided CB it means that Fazio can be sold without losing any real cover from the defence and that someone like Cameron Carter-Vickers can come in and start getting first team experience without risking the solidity of defence due to injuries. 

Also hopefully it means that Bentaleb can move into developing as Dembele's cover rather than Dier's, because he's wasted sitting deep and never really looked comfortable there this season. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

CSKA, Leverkusen and Monaco.

Quite a nice draw really.  I'm going to the games so I had sort of hoped for a true giant like Juventus or Bayern with a pushover team in the 4th slot.  Instead we've got three decent teams that, with the possible exception of Leverkusen, we should have the beating of (at 'Home' anyway).

Should be fun!

Sadly we just don't seem to have addressed any of the problems from last season.

We still lack pace and someone who can run with the ball, as good as the trio of Lamela, Eriksen and Dele are, a number 10 of real world class pedigree would make us so much better.  Personally as we don't have the cash to buy a world class playmaker, I would give Lamela a run in the middle and drop Eriksen for a few games.

I really don't want to see Dier and Wanyma playing in midfield together ether, it just doesn't work and until Dembele comes back I would try out Winks alongside one of them, as he looked really good in preseason.