rllmuk

The Spurs Thread

13 hours ago, bradigor said:

and had you lot punching well about your weight.

Do you think on paper then, Spurs don't have the quality to be a top 4 side?

Wow. Clearly been in planning for a while then. Not many clubs I'd wish this upon. On the bright side, even with Mourinho's more recent, relatively poor record, you should get at least a season or so of outperformance under him. Just enjoy that, if you get it, before the inevitable second or third season debacle.

3 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Do you think on paper then, Spurs don't have the quality to be a top 4 side?

In some areas yes, in others, no. 

You have a fantastic first XI but lack anything beyond that to really be challenging. Under Pochettino you actually challenged for a title and were the best of the rest in a season when Liverpool and City were leagues ahead. 

That was done without any real investment in the squad, even getting to a European Cup Final, going through the hard way. 

With the right investment, you could and should have been pushing Liverpool (and City) closer than anyone this season. But from the outside it looks like a couple of token players were brought in and nothing to really build the squad. 

You are Liverpool circa 2006-08 where your manager is getting more out of the squad than he should be, but those at the top are stopping you taking that next step. 

You are about to go into your Roy Hodgson stage and I wish you good luck. 

• Upvote 7

FIrstly. I don't support Spurs, or any EPL club for that matter.

I;m just interested in what makes you say Spurs are punching above thier weight. Which sides outside of Liverpool, City or maybe Chelsea have a better squad?

1 hour ago, meatbin said:

I think if you delete Mou's United time, then actually there is a lot to like about him and his teams.  

I'm not sure that there ever has been much to like about a Mourinho team, but leaving that aside, I don't think you can disregard his time at United, as that is the only time we've seen him without Rui Faria, which is what you're getting. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

FIrstly. I don't support Spurs, or any EPL club for that matter.

I;m just interested in what makes you say Spurs are punching above thier weight. Which sides outside of Liverpool, City or maybe Chelsea have a better squad?

Ah fair enough, apologies. 

Leicester City for one, as they have invested well even before Rodgers came in. Spurs should be top 4, there is no argument there. But, they were actually challenging and looking miles better than any of the other 'traditional top 6'

Not too long ago, they were better than Liverpool and City don't forget. But lack of support and investment in the squad has halted progress, seen them stagnate and even go backwards. Pochettino saw this and has tried to force the club's hand into investing properly, yet they failed to do so. 

They may have the the most advanced stadium in the world right now, but that means bugger all if they don't invest in a team that could be winning things.  

Spurs’s squad is easily the best outside of the top 2.

The full backs need upgrading, but apart from that area, Spurs have plenty of quality. The fact is, the players for whatever reason have simply not played even close to their full potential, for almost a year now.  The only reason we finished in the top four last season was because somehow both Arsenal and Man Utd managed to be just slightly worse, allowing us to sneak in on the last day.

As a person I can’t stand Mouriniho, but you can’t deny the arrogant arsehole wins things, even at Man Utd, he managed to win two trophies, and beat us in a FA cup semi-final and finished above us in the league, with a far inferior squad.

And while it seems most Spurs fans aren’t really that chuffed with the events In the last 24 hours, if we manage a win over West Ham this weekend, I am sure those grievances will soon melt away.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

The full backs need upgrading, but apart from that area, Spurs have plenty of quality. The fact is, the players for whatever reason have simply not played even close to their full potential, for almost a year now.  The only reason we finished in the top four last season was because somehow both Arsenal and Man Utd managed to be just slightly worse, allowing us to sneak in on the last day.

As a person I can’t stand Mouriniho, but you can’t deny the arrogant arsehole wins things, even at Man Utd, he managed to win two trophies, and beat us in a FA cup semi-final and finished above us in the league, with a far inferior squad.

And while it seems most Spurs fans aren’t really that chuffed with the events In the last 24 hours, if we manage a win over West Ham this weekend, I am sure those grievances will soon melt away.

It was a treble.  

9 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

You don’t seem to understand how much of a scourge he is on the game. Yeah, you might have a new manager bounce and he might even go on to win you a few trophies, but none of it is worth it. He’ll have you playing horrible football, he’ll drag the players down, he’ll quickly turn into a sulking, moaning twat who blames everyone but himself and ultimately he’ll leave you in a mess, while getting sacked and picking up a huge payout for his troubles. He’s absolute poison.

When he first came to England he had Chelsea playing great attacking football and just running teams over, based around Arjen Robben and Damien Duff supplying Drogba. If he can get Son, Kane and Moura playing in a similar way, we might be ok.

i don’t think he’s the coach he was ten years ago though.

Indeed. I've seen a lot of places saying 'oh he just parks the bus', forgetting that he actually coined that phrase himself - after a game against Spurs no less.  I've enjoyed watching a fair few of his teams over the years. Personally I think it might just work out ok.

With Mourinho i just think why he has to be so negative in terms of his manner and mood when he knows it's so destructive. He's so determined with winning and insecure about losing it results in the corrosive petulance that pundits discuss whether the deflection of poor performances away from his players is actually beneficial. Looking back on it now his bullying of Luke Shaw really was bizarre.

Man United was supposed to be his dream job that he apparently wept over being overlooked when Moyes was appointed, yet he didn't ever carry any excitement or joy in his time there. This was a job he might never have landed given Bobby Charlton's previous disgust for his lack of class. Why not embrace it? He was pissy from the beginning. The differences this time are the job doesn't coincide with him losing his father, he's not away from his family living in a hotel and the pressure won't be exactly the same. I thought he'd never take a job in England again, i thought he'd go away to Spain or Italy and we'd be rid forever. Seeing him manage Spurs is really bizarre, it was never a fit anyone could see. It's weird, cos i really can't stand how poisonous he is in the entirety of his media appearances yet don't want him to be a success cos I hate him. And i like Spurs, we all like Spurs but do want to see Mourinho plunge them into the relegation places by February and be sacked.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

With Mourinho i just think why he has to be so negative in terms of his manner and mood when he knows it's so destructive. He's so determined with winning and insecure about losing it results in the corrosive petulance that pundits discuss whether the deflection of poor performances away from his players is actually beneficial. Looking back on it now his bullying of Luke Shaw really was bizarre.

Man United was supposed to be his dream job that he apparently wept over being overlooked when Moyes was appointed, yet he didn't ever carry any excitement or joy in his time there. This was a job he might never have landed given Bobby Charlton's previous disgust for his lack of class. Why not embrace it? He was pissy from the beginning. The differences this time are the job doesn't coincide with him losing his father, he's not away from his family living in a hotel and the pressure won't be exactly the same. I thought he'd never take a job in England again, i thought he'd go away to Spain or Italy and we'd be rid forever. Seeing him manage Spurs is really bizarre, it was never a fit anyone could see. It's weird, cos i really can't stand how poisonous he is in the entirety of his media appearances yet don't want him to be a success cos I hate him. And i like Spurs, we all like Spurs but do want to see Mourinho plunge them into the relegation places by February and be sacked.

If this happens then Sherwood will be back in charge

Mourhinio is a fantastic manager . I think he might do quite well at Spurs. I don't think you can judge him too much on his United days, that club had its problems way before he arrived there and continues to have them now. United still havent come to terms witht he fact that that their time in the sun is over, it will be 10-20 years before they win another title. Maybe longer.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I just watched his press conference and thought he did well, dammit!

I agree and let’s face it, this appointment has probably given Spurs the highest ever profile it has ever had.

I was all for Poch going, it was clearly stale and a fair amount of it was his doing. 5 and a half years is a lot of time and we never really looked like winning anything seriously, although he did give us a glimpse of what it could be like. I wasn't up for Mourinho massively, like most people I was tired of how he behaved in his most recent jobs but I know deep down although it's the polar opposite of what Spurs would typically do, I think that's what the club needs - everything is in place bar a winning mentality.

Thankfully it was a great press conference today, some of it gave me goosebumps and Jose was great, very relaxed and behaving with a bit of class. He also looked far happier than his most recent first press conference at Man U. The box office draw of the man has meant the last few days has been utter madness but I'm now fully onboard and can't wait to lose 1-0 to West Ham on Saturday.

58 minutes ago, PDogg said:

The box office draw of the man has meant the last few days has been utter madness but I'm now fully onboard and can't wait to lose 1-0 to West Ham on Saturday.

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611fb580bc1134fec633

We're (West Ham) abject, have no confidence, a manager who refuses to change tactics and wants out the club with a payoff, a goalie who literally can't catch the ball, defenders who are scared shitless of playing in front of said goalie, no midfield and a striker who is best playing off other attackers so is naturally used in isolation. We're going to get absolutely thumped by you lot; absolute guaranteed 3 points for Spurs.

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I just watched his press conference and thought he did well, dammit!

Early Mourinho is always the fun Mourinho. 

It's like the babysitter that comes for the interview. She is great, ticks all the boxes, amazing with the kids. Then a short while later she is sleeping with your husband and trying to poison you. 

Standard Channel 5 afternoon TV Movie stuff. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Scruff said:

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611fb580bc1134fec633

We're (West Ham) abject, have no confidence, a manager who refuses to change tactics and wants out the club with a payoff, a goalie who literally can't catch the ball, defenders who are scared shitless of playing in front of said goalie, no midfield and a striker who is best playing off other attackers so is naturally used in isolation. We're going to get absolutely thumped by you lot; absolute guaranteed 3 points for Spurs.

So you are going for the reverse psychology angle then?

5 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

So you are going for the reverse psychology angle then?

Hah! I wish. After our recent performances, I really, really fear for us on Saturday. A fired up Spurs, eager to impress their new manager playing against an insipid, virtually manager-less West Ham sinking faster and faster into crisis.

If we're lucky, we'll keep it to 0-3. One goal in the first 10 mins, one just after half time and the final one in the last ten mins. I think it'll more likely be in excess of 5 goals for your lot.

This Spurs side is made for Jose. Big, strong, aggressive and a talismanic prolific goal scorer up front. It’s a much better and more balanced side than the one he inherited at Man U, and while there are disaffected players he won’t have anything like the problems he had in the Man U dressing room. I’ve always got the impression that the Spurs players are footballers first and foremost rather than would-be clothing magnates and social media influencers. I think they’ll respond well to him. He’ll make them well organised and hard to beat, but they won’t be very exciting to watch. I fully expect them to finish in the top 4 now.

44 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Hah! I wish. After our recent performances, I really, really fear for us on Saturday. A fired up Spurs, eager to impress their new manager playing against an insipid, virtually manager-less West Ham sinking faster and faster into crisis.

If we're lucky, we'll keep it to 0-3. One goal in the first 10 mins, one just after half time and the final one in the last ten mins. I think it'll more likely be in excess of 5 goals for your lot.

Hmm balance that with it being your cup final tho...

We always bloody play West Ham with a new manager, Sure Poch’s first game was against them!