rllmuk

The Spurs Thread

Well, amid all the terrible season we've had so far, and the general doom surrounding Covid, the suspension of the Premier League could be good for us.

Sissoko & Davies are back in training.

Kane is in semi-training.

Son just needs his arm to heal enough to play in a cast which could be soon

A break could mean so much for Mourino and players... Time to take mentally take a breather and come up with a new mentality and set of tactics.

Of course this could, and will likely mean nothing since the PL season is probably going to be voided or suspended.  IF it gets voided, then we may still have the chance to play for the CL spots for the next season after whenever that happens, and we just forget the 2019/2020 season ever happened.  

Jesus, we’re genuinely awful at the moment. We got a point thanks to VAR, but that sparkling flowing aggressive football we were playing 2 or 3 years ago has fallen apart so quickly.

8 hours ago, Jammy said:

Jesus, we’re genuinely awful at the moment. We got a point thanks to VAR, but that sparkling flowing aggressive football we were playing 2 or 3 years ago has fallen apart so quickly.

We were also denied what looked a stonewall penalty by var. But we were so bad. Aurier is awful yet seems to be the pivotal part of our tactical plan. Horrendous. 

12 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Anyone else completely given up? 

Yep.

Jose has brought nothing to the club.  Okay it's only fair to give him a full season before entirely judging him, but I can't see this getting any better with him in charge - the tactics are abysmal and I don't want watch that kind of football week-in, week-out.

There were frustrations with Poch's gameplan at times - stubborn to change the formation mid-game, or to bring on subs early enough to change the game.    But watching that team was exciting, and brought lots of games with multiple late goals which came from fast, attacking football with a high press.  Now we just have slow build up > sideways passes > loss possession in the final third > repeat.

When Bournmouth's late VAR denied goal went in last night, I actually cheered quietly.   I wanted us to lose that game.  I wanted more criticism and pressure on Mou, and for us to not make Europa League.  Awful, bitter way to support a football team.    

Nah, I don't think Jose has anything to do with it.  This is still the same shit team from the last two seasons.  Jose can't work miracles with this team, Poch clearly couldn't, and it's been incredibly apparent that the side has needed to be majorly broken up since the end of the 2017/2018 season.  Jose needs the next two transfer windows, and possibly even the following two, to build a proper team in his own image, and Levy needs to back him properly, or simply put we'll be passed by all the other teams who have clearly moved on.

I saw a graphic of the lineup of Liverpool and Spurs from years ago, and the current lineup - the Liverpool team were virtually totally different while the Spurs team was almost a carbon copy.  Liverpool have the title, the Champions League and the World Club Championship.  Spurs have....?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smoothy said:

Spurs have....?

A beautiful new (empty) stadium ;)

24 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Nah, I don't think Jose has anything to do with it.  This is still the same shit team from the last two seasons.  Jose can't work miracles with this team, Poch clearly couldn't, and it's been incredibly apparent that the side has needed to be majorly broken up since the end of the 2017/2018 season.  Jose needs the next two transfer windows, and possibly even the following two, to build a proper team in his own image, and Levy needs to back him properly, or simply put we'll be passed by all the other teams who have clearly moved on.

I saw a graphic of the lineup of Liverpool and Spurs from years ago, and the current lineup - the Liverpool team were virtually totally different while the Spurs team was almost a carbon copy.  Liverpool have the title, the Champions League and the World Club Championship.  Spurs have....?

Hands up if you think José will get the backing he wants? 

We need a whole new defence. At this point we need to decide if Ndombele is going to stay or written off. I'm 50/50 on that... He's talented but doesn't appear to be up for a battle. Totally non José player. Shambles. 

6 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Hands up if you think José will get the backing he wants? 

Yeah this is why I thought his appointment was a bit odd - Jose is famous for spending loads, and Levy is famous for spending fuck all.

8 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Yeah this is why I thought his appointment was a bit odd - Jose is famous for spending loads, and Levy is famous for spending fuck all.

I'd be amazed if we don't lose Son, Kane or Dele in the next window. We might get Bale back which would be fun for the 20 games he might be fit enough to play. Maybe get Fellaini in as well. Unless Levy goes against all previous evidence we will be the same or worse next season. Also it's time we said the Lamela experiment has been a failure. He dawdles on the ball at every opportunity and is a red card waiting to happen (and he's always injured). 

3 hours ago, meatbin said:

Yep.

Jose has brought nothing to the club.  Okay it's only fair to give him a full season before entirely judging him, but I can't see this getting any better with him in charge - the tactics are abysmal and I don't want watch that kind of football week-in, week-out.

There were frustrations with Poch's gameplan at times - stubborn to change the formation mid-game, or to bring on subs early enough to change the game.    But watching that team was exciting, and brought lots of games with multiple late goals which came from fast, attacking football with a high press.  Now we just have slow build up > sideways passes > loss possession in the final third > repeat.

When Bournmouth's late VAR denied goal went in last night, I actually cheered quietly.   I wanted us to lose that game.  I wanted more criticism and pressure on Mou, and for us to not make Europa League.  Awful, bitter way to support a football team.    

Poch changed the press partway through last season to this slower build-up possession based game, presumably because he knew half the team were physically shot to bits with no quality in the backups. His ‘the team needs a painful rebuild’ has been echoing in my head since the summer. He knew it, presumably he told Levy too. And the reason for a painful rebuild now is because of our transfer strategy. The best training facilites and stadium in Europe and possibly the world, with a second-rate outfit on the pitch due to Levy’s reluctance to refresh the squad little and often. Ferguson at Man Utd had it right, and the Liverpool transfer team also - pick one or two positions that need strengthening and/or improvement every window and do it decisively without pissing about.

As for Jose, there’s no way Levy will give him the boot, it’ll cost too much. His time at Man Utd spending a fortune and them getting progressively worse during his tenure show that he’s yesterday’s man(ager). His tactics are dour, and have been superseded by dynamic younger coaches. I suspect he’ll start to complain about lack of investment soon enough, but won’t walk out without a payoff.

When we left WHL I thought we were looking at a team that would be up there for 15 years challenging, but it’s fallen apart.

• Upvote 3

Poch relied on pace and energy all over the pitch. The full backs used to be key to this. Now we are stuck with Aurier and Davies. Combine them both and you might have one defender. I think Poch was let down by Levy but also probably was hampered by being loyal to his ageing squad. Ferguson was ruthless with players he knew were past it. 

• Upvote 1

So what would you say we need to get going again?

My initial thoughts:

Buy:

LB

RB

CB

DM

Playmaker / Forward (to replace Erikson alongside with Le Celso)

Backup Striker / Wide Forward 

Sell:

Lucas (Has had his moments but he's too one-dimensional and no good with possession football)

Lamela (I think everyone agrees he's done everything he can now, time to move on) 

Sissoko (Great engine and reliable ball winner, but offers little else - if he could pick out an incisive pass or shoot well then it would be different)

Dele if we got a huge offer.  

Give Kane another full season - if he doesn't come back to form then accept a big offer and replace.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, meatbin said:

My initial thoughts:

Buy:

LB

RB

CB

DM

Sell:

Lucas (Has had his moments but he's too one-dimensional and no good with possession football)

Lamela (I think everyone agrees he's done everything he can now, time to move on) 

Sissoko (Great engine and reliable ball winner, but offers little else - if he could pick out an incisive pass or shoot well then it would be different)

Give Kane another full season - if he doesn't come back to form then accept a big offer and replace.  

Agree with all of that. Is Ndombele supposed to be a DM? No idea where he fits in. Lucas is like a slightly better Aaron Lennon - dribbles well with little end product. I worry we will only get one or two new players in. I think Son leaving is most likely and he's probably our best player. 

58 minutes ago, meatbin said:

My initial thoughts:

Buy:

LB

RB

CB

DM

Sell:

Agree with all of that, except we probably need two RBs. I’d sell Aurier too, or maybe move him further up the pitch for his attacking play and get someone who can defend behind him.

20 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Agree with all of that. Is Ndombele supposed to be a DM? No idea where he fits in. Lucas is like a slightly better Aaron Lennon - dribbles well with little end product. I worry we will only get one or two new players in. I think Son leaving is most likely and he's probably our best player. 

I *think* Ndombele is meant to fit the Dembele role.  Creative midfielder with great ball holding strength, and can sit back for defensive cover.    

I suppose Sissoko or Winks is currently taking up that position, or sometimes Le Celso.  Fuck knows it all feels a bit of a mess right now to me.

We seem to have a glut of similar players in positions we don’t need them, and a paucity of players in positions we desperately need. The defence wouldn’t be half as bad if they weren’t getting peppered constantly because our midfield are unable to exert one iota of control in pretty much every game.

Whatever happened to Tanganga? He was flavour of the month and then disappeared? 

Sessegnon has also completely vanished. 

1 minute ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Whatever happened to Tanganga? He was flavour of the month and then disappeared? 

Sessegnon has also completely vanished. 

Tanganga got injured during the break - spinal fracture or something.

Sessegnon was on the bench last night, but I'm not sure where he fits in the formation.  He either needs to train up as a dedicated attacking LB, or we need to tweak our tactics to play wingers.  Son and Lucas play more like invert wingers/forwards.   

Can't help but think Sessegnon is going to be wasted and then moved on sometime.    Clearly you can tell I'm full of optimism at the moment -_-

1 minute ago, meatbin said:

Tanganga got injured during the break - spinal fracture or something.

Sessegnon was on the bench last night, but I'm not sure where he fits in the formation.  He either needs to train up as a dedicated attacking LB, or we need to tweak our tactics to play wingers.  Son and Lucas play more like invert wingers/forwards.   

Can't help but think Sessegnon is going to be wasted and then moved on sometime.    Clearly you can tell I'm full of optimism at the moment -_-

Every formation I think of involves leaving someone out who I feel we should play. Too many in the same roles. Sessegnon surely needs to learn to be a LWB. I don't know how without any game time. He must be a better option than Danny Rose. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It's ok lads. It's all ok. 

I’ll take it. A win against that lot is always welcome :)

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I’ll take it. A win against that lot is always welcome :)

We were better today well and on another day we could have easily scored 3 or 4.

Aurier really does need replacing though.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

We were better today well and on another day we could have easily scored 3 or 4.

Aurier really does need replacing though.

Yeah, too many selfish runs today when a pass could have released another player. Better though.

42 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

No sign of Ndombele today.... 

Injured in training according to José.

A good result tonight. Apparently Newcastle had the better of it for a long time, but we took our chances.

1 minute ago, Jammy said:

Injured in training according to José.

A good result tonight. Apparently Newcastle had the better of it for a long time, but we took our chances.

Ndombele is going to be one of those players isn't he? I'd sell him now to be honest. 

11 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Ndombele is going to be one of those players isn't he? I'd sell him now to be honest. 

I’m worried he’s never going to get any momentum if he has all these setbacks. I want to see him have a full season not disrupted by injuries. If it then turns out the pace of the league is too much for him, then at least we’ll have seen him give it a go.

2 hours ago, Jammy said:

I’m worried he’s never going to get any momentum if he has all these setbacks. I want to see him have a full season not disrupted by injuries. If it then turns out the pace of the league is too much for him, then at least we’ll have seen him give it a go.

He's been in and out the whole season. I think he's just one of those players who will only play when he is at 100%. Not what we need.