The Spurs Thread

Just now, Jammy said:

To be fair to Ian Wright, he is very complimentary about Spurs usually. Second half was a bit dull - content to sit on the lead and not really try anything risky.

Indeed, it’s easier to play mid table teams who can’t defend than it is organised teams set out to stop you scoring...

Seven points from Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal feels like two points dropped, love him or loathe him Jose has turned the defence around and set us up to exploit our strengths going forward - will be amazing when we are fully settled and start going after teams!

18 hours ago, Jammy said:

To be fair to Ian Wright, he is very complimentary about Spurs usually. Second half was a bit dull - content to sit on the lead and not really try anything risky.

Yeah I like the chap, but on the subject of (being an) Arsenal (fan) he sounds like everyone else I know that supports the club. I can't put my finger on it, its not merely just disappointment, its like some sort of massive expectation or entitlement that every year they are going to be special because they are owed it or something from past glory, and the game doesn't work like that. Its just something in the way they talk about it - the whole "Enough is enough" thing is hilarious to me. 

If anything since Leicester won the Prem, it should be demonstrating that you can't just show up and expect to get places because of the badge on the shirt.

I watched the game last night on BT Sport, and not only was Jake Humphrey being complimentary about Spurs, Owen Hargreaves was very positive, and Glenn Hoddle finally aired on TV what Spurs fans have been saying for a while. Which was, when Leicester won the Premier League with counter-attacking football everyone in the media was saying how great it was, so what’s changed now Spurs are doing it ?

On 11/12/2020 at 15:11, Jammy said:

I watched the game last night on BT Sport, and not only was Jake Humphrey being complimentary about Spurs, Owen Hargreaves was very positive, and Glenn Hoddle finally aired on TV what Spurs fans have been saying for a while. Which was, when Leicester won the Premier League with counter-attacking football everyone in the media was saying how great it was, so what’s changed now Spurs are doing it ?

Remember the whole narrative in the media against poch was that he had to win a trophy. Now it's that you have to win a trophy playing nice football. I wish they would sort their agendas out. 

22 minutes ago, englishbob said:

After today's results it's going to be a big game on Wednesday for both teams

Yep - I was slightly deflated after our game, as we were well on top when we scored, then dropped deep to protect the one-nil and conceded, and then were all over them again for the last ten. José himself said in the Amazon doc “2-0 in the Premier League is not game over”. Their goalie made some fantastic saves to be fair; another day we could still have had three or four despite the middle 45 minutes.

On the plus side, Chelsea lost and Liverpool didn’t overtake us. Big game on Wednesday ! Oh yeah, and Arsenal.

Game had 2-1 all over it, Liverpool are a joy to watch at times but we contained them and second half played better than them and had 3 clear chances and if you don’t take them you are open to a sucker punch late home winner....

Next game is big, poor against Palace second half and unlucky at Liverpool so could do with a result and it’s a tricky game but plenty of positives and players to come back #COYS

Yeah, I thought we were unfortunate tonight - defended well, and almost got that final ball away so many times. Two inches more swerve on his shot and Bergwijn scores, Kane with an uncharacteristic miss and then a defensive lapse at the end. Really disappointed, but encouraging. Thought Aurier was great again.

They need to pick themselves up after that sucker punch. Liverpool will drop points, we just have to stay close enough to take advantage.

Annoyingly predictable outcome I suppose for the 'Pool with their track record. 

Consolation is that we scored 2 out of the 3 goals. 

Found the Amazon feed pretty good, but got fed up with the constant Liverpool love-in from the commentary team in the end, it just becomes wearing on the brain.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

We asked for that. Complete lack of creativity. Not looking good for Bale really is it. Ndombele was good I thought. 

Yup - needed Dele on at the end.

9 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

He's really turned things around since last season. He's looking really good at the moment. I am shocked. 

He was pretty much rated as one of the best young midfielders in the world when we bought him so I am not really shocked just how good he is playing now.

I just hope after yesterday Jose can see how much better he is playing deeper, as this will not only allow Tanguy to play at his best, but it will also mean Sissoko and Winks won’t be playing as much anymore.

23 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

He was pretty much rated as one of the best young midfielders in the world when we bought him so I am not really shocked just how good he is playing now.

I just hope after yesterday Jose can see how much better he is playing deeper, as this will not only allow Tanguy to play at his best, but it will also mean Sissoko and Winks won’t be playing as much anymore.

I am more shocked that José gave him a chance as he seemed to have made up his mind on him. I guess some players just respond better to his motivational methods. Agree we need to minimise Winks and Sissoko playing time. They just don't offer much more than sideways passing. 

He looked good in our last Europa match (I think?) Like you say he just needs to be more positive. 

What about Eriksen coming back? Seems a ludicrous suggestion to me. He was god awful in his last 12 months. 

7 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

He looked good in our last Europa match (I think?) Like you say he just needs to be more positive. 

What about Eriksen coming back? Seems a ludicrous suggestion to me. He was god awful in his last 12 months. 

He's been awful at Inter too, he's not playing well enough for Spurs, Inter or teams of that calibre. He needs to go to a team where he's the lead player, like a Brighton or Southampton. 

Agreed - he was a passenger for his final year from Jan 2019 to Jan 2020. Between him and a half-fit Kane we more or less played the CL Final with nine men.

No game time at Inter, so impossible to judge whether the Eriksen who assisted, scored, and ran his socks off for Spurs back in the day still exists.

As for Winks, is the problem that now he’s finally back in the first team, he’s too scared to try risky stuff after José subbed and publicly bollocked Dele Alli when he gave the ball away trying a fancy flick ? He did the same to Joe Cole when he first went to Chelsea too.