IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

36 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It'd be nice if lamela fucked off. He always plays like someone on FIFA using a broken pad. Pass - underhit, shot - finesse instead of power or vice versa, sprinting - slightly faster than walking, skill move - attempted a second too late, tackling - wild slide tackle instead of mild pressure. Constant annoyance. 

When he comes on the ref should just blow for full time. 

16 goals and 23 assists in 8 years. 

49 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Record signing at the time too - same as Davinson when he joined. Lamela was being feted as a new wonderkid when he was at Roma.

I think he has still scored more goals for Roma despite only being there for two seasons. A truly appalling investment. Yet he still gets to stink up the squad. 

2 hours ago, Jammy said:

Jesus fucking christ, what the hell is going on ?!?

We are shite and we are going to be shite until José goes. We might win a trophy before then though. Does that make it all worth it? Probably. 

Ah well we've got the usual Kane being rushed back when clearly unfit to look forward to. What a treat. 

I'm sorry but I still don't think it's Jose's fault.  The side is shit - the players are shit, the staff are shit, the chairman is shit.  There is a loser mentality that permeates all throughout the club, like a rotten stench, and has been there for decades.  Get rid of Jose and we still have the same shit players and staff.  The problem is not Jose, it's the mentality of the club.  We need to change that or wholesale change the staff, cos unless we stop this "oh well" nonsense we'll never beat teams we are fucking totally capable of beating.

4 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

I'm sorry but I still don't think it's Jose's fault.  The side is shit - the players are shit, the staff are shit, the chairman is shit.  There is a loser mentality that permeates all throughout the club, like a rotten stench, and has been there for decades.  Get rid of Jose and we still have the same shit players and staff.  The problem is not Jose, it's the mentality of the club.  We need to change that or wholesale change the staff, cos unless we stop this "oh well" nonsense we'll never beat teams we are fucking totally capable of beating.

It's true we don't have many players who look annoyed by losing. Harry is one of the few. There are too many average players who we have persisted with for years. However I think José has to be doing better than he is with this team. We are far too negative especially against lower teams we should be beating. The only positive is that Chelsea spent £200m to only beat us 1-0 and even then we could have got a draw. I'd like to think if we spent that money we'd be doing better but with these owners we are never going to be competing at the top level. 

There’s definitely a big element of that loser mentality in the squad, but I think José has at least partially caused the recent drop in morale/form with his treatment of certain players. Old Glenda spotted it on Thursday night - a few times there was a good attacking pass on, and the player checked their run and passed it safe instead. They’re scared to try anything risky in case they either get frozen out of the team or berated in the media. Winks is probably playing ultra safe because he’s only just got back in the team and knows he’ll be dropped again immediately if he is deemed at fault for something. And then you have very close mates like Dier and Alli (and Son) - I can’t believe they’re not affected by the treatment dished out in the media to Alli, regardless of whether he needs the tough love in private. Aurier had a proper bust up with Dier and Lloris after they both failed to clear that cross for Firmino’s goal against Liverpool. I can perfectly understand that - either of them could have dealt with it if either of them had given a shout, but Aurier knew he would be the one José would blame for letting the cross happen, and so it came to pass. Then he was dropped for the next game and replaced by a frigging midfielder. There’s also the baffling formations - against Brighton we had a central midfielder at right back, a right back at left back, and a left back at centre back, and Toby on the fucking bench.

TL:DR - yes, the loser mentality is there, and frankly a lot of the squad are fucking mediocre. But it doesn’t help when the manager singles out players in the press, and clearly has favourites who never get called out as well.

But those players are shit. I'd call them out too if it were me. They're too fucking pampered. Dele wonders why he's not getting picked - it's cos you're too fucking inconsistent. The bar is here and you're nowhere near it. If you want to win the title you need to be playing like your life depended on it. Watch Chelsea when Mourinho was there both times - players playing out their skin - Lampard, Terry, Drogba. Now look at Spurs players and tell me who is at the level of those guys when they were winning titles constantly. Although look I acknowledge that even at Chelsea he finally pissed everyone off with those tactics BOTH times, they were champions when they kicked him out - Spurs haven't won anything. Aurier needs to get his head out of his arse - he was at fault and he needs to take what is coming to him and play better next time.

Oh absolutely Aurier was at fault for letting Mane get past him, but there were two other players who were also culpable, and there was only ever one of the three going to get bollocked at half-time.

The main issue is that majority of the team are bang average. Would anyone else in the top six buy half our team ? Dier, Davies, Sanchez, Aurier, Docherty, Sissoko, Bergwijn - I couldn’t see anyone above us wanting them. Kane, Son and Ndombele are the only ones I can see playing for teams that are better than us, and maybe Dele if he ever recovers his mojo. Poch - at least for a time - was able to get players like this performing as a unit to a level above the individual quality. José likes a bit of conflict and seems to prefer the divide and conquer approach; if you’re in the inner circle, everything’s sunshine and lollipops, but if you’re on the fringes and not one of his guys then mistakes count. I hope he turns it around - I was really hoping Spurs would be his redemption job.

12 hours ago, Jammy said:

Oh absolutely Aurier was at fault for letting Mane get past him, but there were two other players who were also culpable, and there was only ever one of the three going to get bollocked at half-time.

The main issue is that majority of the team are bang average. Would anyone else in the top six buy half our team ? Dier, Davies, Sanchez, Aurier, Docherty, Sissoko, Bergwijn - I couldn’t see anyone above us wanting them. Kane, Son and Ndombele are the only ones I can see playing for teams that are better than us, and maybe Dele if he ever recovers his mojo. Poch - at least for a time - was able to get players like this performing as a unit to a level above the individual quality. José likes a bit of conflict and seems to prefer the divide and conquer approach; if you’re in the inner circle, everything’s sunshine and lollipops, but if you’re on the fringes and not one of his guys then mistakes count. I hope he turns it around - I was really hoping Spurs would be his redemption job.

I love Poch, I’d take that so bloody close season and the others that followed over this shite and a cup any day - however Jose would have won the league with that team and that’s the issue now, we are in a new cycle and we have a terrible defence and it’s going to take lots of money and some time to rebuild to get back to that level let alone kick on. The worry is Kane, Son and Ndombele won’t be around and we have a new set of problems :( 

51 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

The worry is Kane, Son and Ndombele won’t be around and we have a new set of problems :( 

I fear you may be right. I think Kane will go if we don’t qualify for CL and win a cup. He always said he would stay as long as he can see progress. At the moment we’re going backwards with the style of play. I doubt Son likes defending deep and then sprinting 2/3rds the length of a pitch every few minutes to get on the end of a long ball either.

As bad as you've been playing at the moment (which has been really bad - and as I a Liverpool supporter I have some experience in that area at the moment), I would never rule out a Mourinho party spoiling against City.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

As bad as you've been playing at the moment (which has been really bad - and as I a Liverpool supporter I have some experience in that area at the moment), I would never rule out a Mourinho party spoiling against City.

To be fair we beat them 2-0 last time. Anything is possible. 

Agreed about Ndombele. We lost the midfield when he went off. So many individual errors. Lloris beaten at his near post and three times with the ball coming across his body, Toby playing Richarlison onside for his goal, Hojbjerg cost us two goals. Davies and Toby have no pace left. We need a total rebuild of the back 5 in the summer, and others who aren’t up to it need to be moved on too.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

That felt like redemption but you can equally argue it’s the first time in a long time we have been able to put out a fit almost full strength starting 11!

My word tho - Kane, Son, Bale and Ali all on at the same time whilst brief was :wub:

Add Lo Celso as well and we have a rather sexy front 4 now.

16 minutes ago, Jammy said:

We’ve missed Reguillon too - that was a good performance today. Sanchez was solid playing next to Toby.

Yeah the defence looked pretty good. Maybe Dier is the weak link.... 

Bale looked really good - hopefully he gets another start vs Fulham. 

A woeful second half performance last night. Pleased to see Dele and Bale start though. We missed Reguillon and Aurier oddly enough. Doherty just isn't working out - a few times his crossing was aimless or hit straight out of play. 

Sanchez was mostly solid but still contributed to the goal that should really have counted. Lamela with his usual cameo - promising much but delivering nothing. At least he ran about. 

Another big match Sunday, I'm hoping all the big guns are in the starting line up and we give the Arsenal a 7-0 reaming, with a Bale and Kane double hat-trick. 

I can remain hopeful and it doesn't go all Spursy. 

Just hoping it isn't Wrighty on MOTD that day, otherwise win or lose you'll get a 10 minute Arsenal breakdown anyway