The Spurs Thread

1 minute ago, englishbob said:

I have not seen any of the match yet - another defeat with the attacking force we have seems hard to fathom - again. 

Son getting injured early doors meant that Kane had no-one running off him and was absent until Lamela got sent off on 70 mins or so.

Moura put in a shift, but the rest of the side didn't show up at all until the last 15 mins. 

Sanchez was 'unfortunate' for the penalty, and if Lacazette had connected with the ball, it would have been a good block, not a pen.  But still.

Doherty should never be allowed to wear a Spurs shirt again.  He was dreadful.  Out of position, lazy tracking back, totally done over by the Arsenal left flank.  We had Aurier and Tanganga on the bench and somehow Doc still managed 90 mins.  Sissoko would have been better at LB ffs!

Compared to the last 5 games, this was a totally weak performance.

That said, Arsenal were no better.  Apart from hitting the crossbar and post (Kane hit the post too) their first goal was deflected off of Toby and the second was the penalty.  They did nothing else.  And I mean nothing else.  They were there to be taken, and we sat back and did fuck all.

Just like the Liverpool game, we made a team in shit form, look like Barcelona.  Only Spurs could do that.  

We need new blood and a new manager.  Jose clearly fucked this one up and did nothing to fix it during the game.  He has nothing in his locker.

Opinion is completely divided on that pen. I’m of the opinion that he was out of control in the challenge, so it was a pen. Others think that the only reason he made contact is because Lacazette laughably miskicked the ball and booted Sanchez, and if he’d actually made contact with the ball it would have been a great block.

So many problems - I’m not sure why José picked a wing-back who hasn’t played conventional RB in years before joining us, instead of Aurier, if he was going to olay a back four. Doherty was awful again. Which begs the question, why did they buy a WB instead of a proper RB in the first place ? Suspect José got let down in his pursuit of Skriniar in the summer, and was planning on using a back 3 with wing backs (Skriniar plus two of Dier, Sanchez, Alderweireld and Tanganga), with Doherty and Reguilon. The failure to get a commanding CB might have been the spanner that totally fucked the works.

That aside, José has claimed time and again that he isn’t telling the players to play like they reverted to yesterday. They can knock over teams in lower risk games with no problem, but against ‘good’ sides, they completely lose their bottle and play like they’re terrified of making mistakes. We just invite pressure by playing 5-yard passes sideways at too slow a tempo while the opponent hunts the ball down, and then one of our players (take your pick) panics and launches it long, where it’s almost invariably intercepted by the opposition and we have conceded possession again. It’s a worry that José doesn’t seem to be able to snap them out of that mindset. Even Hojbjerg has gone missing recently.

The squad seems very fragile. I really think Sanchez is just far too rash all the time. Also if I was the opposition manager I would expressly target him. He's useless in possession under any sort of pressure. Unless we get top 4 or win a trophy I really wouldn't begrudge Kane leaving us. Sad times. 

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

You play winks, Davies and Sanchez and you get exactly what you asked for. Fucking shite. José has to go now. No excuse for this. 

Dier and Sanchez has to be the worst centre back combo we have ever had, I’m including the 90s pairings in that - absolutely disaster at the back and we were well beaten and thoroughly deserve to go out :( 

11 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

You play winks, Davies and Sanchez and you get exactly what you asked for. Fucking shite. José has to go now. No excuse for this. 

Who else do we play though?

It's not Jose.  It's never been Jose.  It wasn't Pochettino either.  Nor Redknapp.  Nor Sherwood.  Nor George Graham either.  Guess whose fault it ultimately is?

Our players don’t seem to have the desire or pride to even try and do the basics, like closing players down, or tracking runs. They just swan about thinking they’re better than they are. Unfortunately José doesn’t seem to be able to put a sufficiently large rocket up their arse.

I can almost guarantee they were all patting themselves on the back at halftime that it was still 0-0 and came out for the second half thinking they were already through, and not to tire themselves out for Sunday.

If we carry on playing like this the few genuinely decent players we have will be poached away, and we’ll be stuck with all the dead wood and over 30s, and what player with any ambition to win stuff would come to us after this sort of display ?

I might be overstating in the above rant, but that was so fucking abject, and I’m fucking fuming. They just don’t look like they give a shit.

6 points of the top four, with a game in hand.   City in the League Cup final.

We still have stuff to play for, but we now need to treat every remaining game like it's a final otherwise it will turn out to be a very depressing season, perhaps leading to Kane going elsewhere.

1 hour ago, meatbin said:

6 points of the top four, with a game in hand.   City in the League Cup final.

We still have stuff to play for, but we now need to treat every remaining game like it's a final otherwise it will turn out to be a very depressing season, perhaps leading to Kane going elsewhere.

Mourinho needs to stop all this rotating and play the XI he knows has the desire to give everything for the team. If what he and Lloris are saying is that bad, this poisonous element shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team at the moment, there’s too much at stake. I’m expecting fallout from this from within the club. If they don’t sort it out sharpish we’ll be midtable, have lost another final, and have no European football to entice players to the club, or keep players there. Letting these players get away with it then sends a bad message to the ones that are making the effort.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Looks like Jose has made lots of changes and punished some players for bad performances in the past couple of games - personally all for that and glad some of them are not starting!

Edit, Toby and Serge are ill apparently

If there are really some bad apples at the club as Lloris and Mourinho have hinted, they shouldn’t be near the team again this season and should have their contracts cancelled. There are a few who played on Thursday who should be joining the Zagreb manager in prison for fraud.

I know we’re winning but there’s not enough zip in the possession passing - it puts us under pressure constantly just rolling it slowly to each other. 

EDIT - and now Sissoko is coming on, who was the chief culprit on Thursday as far as I was concerned. So much for being punished.

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

The press say "Spurs bounce back". Winning a league game doesn't really make up for fucking up in Europa to me though.

does improve their chances of European football next season though

14 hours ago, englishbob said:

The press say "Spurs bounce back". Winning a league game doesn't really make up for fucking up in Europa to me though.

In the mainstream media the Spurs reporting is complete feast or famine, way more so than any other club (especially now that the OGS situation at Man Utd has calmed down). 

I get that they love Mourinho and want to write about him and I'm sure the fans take it with a pinch of salt, but it's just exhausting! 

22 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It is odd. I think it really is the José factor. If we still had Poch and were in exactly the same position then I suspect the press would be different. I still think we'll see a player exodus this summer. 

While it won’t happen, I could quite happily sell 10 players this summer, for me the only players I wouldn’t sell are;

Lloris

Reguillion

Tanganga

Rodon

Holjberg

N’Dombele 

Lo Celso

Skipp

Lucas

Kane

Son

2 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

While it won’t happen, I could quite happily sell 10 players this summer, for me the only players I wouldn’t sell are;

Lloris

Reguillion

Tanganga

Rodon

Holjberg

N’Dombele 

Lo Celso

Skipp

Lucas

Kane

Son

My prime players I want out are:

Sanchez 

Winks 

Lamela 

Sissoko 

Davies 

These are all average at best and seem to get far too much game time. Lo Celso is on thin ice in my opinion as he has yet to really impress. No idea who we'll get in though - a top notch centre back is priority surely? 

Interesting read today - we’re 7 points better off than this time last season, only conceded two more goals, and have already scored 15 more goals than we did all last season. Plus, still within touching distance of top 4, and in a Cup Final. On the flipside, we’ve been largely awful to watch, and some of the performances have been a complete surrender.

Never easy being a Spurs supporter.

26 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Interesting read today - we’re 7 points better off than this time last season, only conceded two more goals, and have already scored 15 more goals than we did all last season. Plus, still within touching distance of top 4, and in a Cup Final. On the flipside, we’ve been largely awful to watch, and some of the performances have been a complete surrender.

Never easy being a Spurs supporter.

At least we've got an evil genius playing for us up front (if you believe the main thread). 

• 2 weeks later...

At least we have 40 points I guess, it’s only Banter FC making this bearable at the moment.

I do still agree with Jose, our defence is poor due to personnel - Jan and Toby would have won us that match - I imagine if Kane and Son weren’t having a inter team competition for most prem league assists then Sanchez would coast that one....

Toby should be in every week - all the younger CBs play better when he’s marshalling them.

Very frustrating result - it’s been the same for years. Every time teams around us drop points we fail to take advantage.

That said, we’re somehow still in touch with 4th, and in a Cup Final. What a strange season.