The Spurs Thread

We had no need to start with winks and Sissoko last night surely? Dele also didn't seem that interested. It should have been an all guns blazing start to try for the early away goal. Instead we barely had a chance. 

Looks like Jose has made lots of changes and punished some players for bad performances in the past couple of games - personally all for that and glad some of them are not starting!

Edit, Toby and Serge are ill apparently

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Looks like Jose has made lots of changes and punished some players for bad performances in the past couple of games - personally all for that and glad some of them are not starting!

Edit, Toby and Serge are ill apparently

If there are really some bad apples at the club as Lloris and Mourinho have hinted, they shouldn’t be near the team again this season and should have their contracts cancelled. There are a few who played on Thursday who should be joining the Zagreb manager in prison for fraud.

I know we’re winning but there’s not enough zip in the possession passing - it puts us under pressure constantly just rolling it slowly to each other. 

EDIT - and now Sissoko is coming on, who was the chief culprit on Thursday as far as I was concerned. So much for being punished.

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

The press say "Spurs bounce back". Winning a league game doesn't really make up for fucking up in Europa to me though.

does improve their chances of European football next season though

14 hours ago, englishbob said:

The press say "Spurs bounce back". Winning a league game doesn't really make up for fucking up in Europa to me though.

In the mainstream media the Spurs reporting is complete feast or famine, way more so than any other club (especially now that the OGS situation at Man Utd has calmed down). 

I get that they love Mourinho and want to write about him and I'm sure the fans take it with a pinch of salt, but it's just exhausting! 

It is odd. I think it really is the José factor. If we still had Poch and were in exactly the same position then I suspect the press would be different. I still think we'll see a player exodus this summer. 

22 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It is odd. I think it really is the José factor. If we still had Poch and were in exactly the same position then I suspect the press would be different. I still think we'll see a player exodus this summer. 

While it won’t happen, I could quite happily sell 10 players this summer, for me the only players I wouldn’t sell are;

Lloris

Reguillion

Tanganga

Rodon

Holjberg

N’Dombele 

Lo Celso

Skipp

Lucas

Kane

Son

2 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

While it won’t happen, I could quite happily sell 10 players this summer, for me the only players I wouldn’t sell are;

Lloris

Reguillion

Tanganga

Rodon

Holjberg

N’Dombele 

Lo Celso

Skipp

Lucas

Kane

Son

My prime players I want out are:

Sanchez 

Winks 

Lamela 

Sissoko 

Davies 

These are all average at best and seem to get far too much game time. Lo Celso is on thin ice in my opinion as he has yet to really impress. No idea who we'll get in though - a top notch centre back is priority surely? 

Interesting read today - we’re 7 points better off than this time last season, only conceded two more goals, and have already scored 15 more goals than we did all last season. Plus, still within touching distance of top 4, and in a Cup Final. On the flipside, we’ve been largely awful to watch, and some of the performances have been a complete surrender.

Never easy being a Spurs supporter.

26 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Interesting read today - we’re 7 points better off than this time last season, only conceded two more goals, and have already scored 15 more goals than we did all last season. Plus, still within touching distance of top 4, and in a Cup Final. On the flipside, we’ve been largely awful to watch, and some of the performances have been a complete surrender.

Never easy being a Spurs supporter.

At least we've got an evil genius playing for us up front (if you believe the main thread). 

• 2 weeks later...

At least we have 40 points I guess, it’s only Banter FC making this bearable at the moment.

I do still agree with Jose, our defence is poor due to personnel - Jan and Toby would have won us that match - I imagine if Kane and Son weren’t having a inter team competition for most prem league assists then Sanchez would coast that one....

Toby should be in every week - all the younger CBs play better when he’s marshalling them.

Very frustrating result - it’s been the same for years. Every time teams around us drop points we fail to take advantage.

That said, we’re somehow still in touch with 4th, and in a Cup Final. What a strange season.

Anyone care?

I think if we win another game this season the manager of the beaten club should be instantly sacked such is our inability to defend and telegraph to every team how to beat us.

Selling Ken to pay of the Jose bill is gonna suck....

27 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Anyone care?

I think if we win another game this season the manager of the beaten club should be instantly sacked such is our inability to defend and telegraph to every team how to beat us.

Selling Ken to pay of the Jose bill is gonna suck....

Nah. Couldn't have cared less. Needs something to change to get me interested again. Even if we win we rarely seem to deserve it. 

We'll probably win the league cup so José can point to that as evidence he isn't past it. 

Half expect it now. Go one-up, lose the game in the last 15 minutes after switching to defence mode.

I’d say José out, but apart from Hojbjerg and Reguilon, this is basically the same team that got Poch the sack, and that he wanted to totally rebuild. Booting Mourinho might relieve the symptoms for a while, but a lot of these players just aren’t good enough, or are past their best.

Can you think of a starting XI out of that squad you’d want to stay ?

Hugo and Toby are the wrong side of the age war now, unfortunately, but we need two new CBs, at least one RB, a GK who can command his penalty area and defenders, and possibly a 10. As for the midfield, I still think José is playing Lo Celso and Ndombele the wrong way round, and would push Ndombele up and have Lo Celso and Hojbjerg as the pivot. Sissoko and Winks

can go - Skipp needs integrating into the first team squad.

For all the talk of Nagelsmann, I don’t think we have the players in this squad that can play that high intensity press anymore. That’s why Poch had to ditch it.

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Have to admire the Dulux twitter account for calling out our defence. Well played.

Have to be disappointed that the official Dulux response is to apologise. Rather than asking wtf the defence are up to.

53 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I know, right ? Spurs fans are by nature defeatists, so pretty much any of us probably just nodded agreement with the tweets.

And everyone else is thinking about dulux and paint in a positive way.

Ha yeah blatantly a Gooner manning the social media accounts, and they couldn't resist, could they?

Was amusing though, and I have to admire the balls of the person! :D 

I almost forgot, in the shitness recently, that we still have the EFL Cup Final at the end of the month. 

If we don't win that I reckon Jose will be off (after all the bigging up of "silverware") - or even worse, Kane

I think Kane is already gone. There’s no way we’re getting CL playing like this. The point flattered us last night. The only slight hope in the Cup Final is that City have a CL semi-final three days later, so I’m hoping Pep will be resting quite a large number of his starting XI.