IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

Only consolation of the season was finishing today above the Arsenal, and Kane getting the golden boot - but he won't be here next time.

Seems the club is a bit broken now, I've literally no expectations next season other than not being relegated.

Right, who’s seen today’s crazy rumour about the possibility of Pochettino coming back ?

Personally, I’d be all for it IF, and it’s a big if, Levy loosens the purse strings and lets him do the rebuild he wanted, like he should have in the first place. Oh, and he puts Steve Hitchen in the bin.

Otherwise, I think a Ten Haag/Rangnick or Potter/Rangnick axis, with Rangnick as DoF, would be the best option. With Steve Hitchen in the bin again.

EDIT - forgot to say, am off up to the stadium tomorrow for the tour and skywalk, which my brother got me for my 50th. Will report back if we get into the home dressing room and the name ‘Kane’ is missing from the number 10 locker  :)

Can’t see Kane leaving myself. Levy won’t let him go on the cheap and he’s worth much more to Tottenham than anyone is going to be willing to pay. With the wages and contract length Kane want on top of that, as well as his age and injury record, I can’t imagine even the likes of City offering more than £60m and Levy will demand twice that, minimum.  

Kane is a bit naive. Why sign such a long contact without a release cause in the first place? Why would anyone put their faith on a gentlemen’s  agreement with Levy of all people? Why not hire a super agent with leverage at the club to negotiate an exit? The only way Kane is getting out is if he kicks up a real stink over the next couple of months and I just don’t think he’s got that in him. 

2 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Kane is a bit naive. Why sign such a long contact without a release cause in the first place? 

This is it for me. He couldn't honestly have thought that Jose was going to bring glory back to the club, so to moan now about wanting to win things seems a bit rich. 

Why not?  Jose has brought cups to every team he's been with, and is a proven top manager.  It's clear that like with all the other managers, Jose wasn't afforded the investment needed which is why he was stifled with an awful team.  Why else do you think that Kane wants to leave, when it's becoming clear that proper investment didn't come with the last two managers, and isn't likely to be forthcoming with the next one?  Why do you think we've been turned down by so many managers already (who wants to work under Levy under similar tight conditions, when they are fine where they are)?

I agree with the Kane-naïve-to-sign-long-contract-without-an-exit-clause thing though.

19 hours ago, Jammy said:

Right, who’s seen today’s crazy rumour about the possibility of Pochettino coming back ?

Personally, I’d be all for it IF, and it’s a big if, Levy loosens the purse strings and lets him do the rebuild he wanted, like he should have in the first place. Oh, and he puts Steve Hitchen in the bin.

Otherwise, I think a Ten Haag/Rangnick or Potter/Rangnick axis, with Rangnick as DoF, would be the best option. With Steve Hitchen in the bin again.

EDIT - forgot to say, am off up to the stadium tomorrow for the tour and skywalk, which my brother got me for my 50th. Will report back if we get into the home dressing room and the name ‘Kane’ is missing from the number 10 locker  :)

I have a Skywalk to book too so will be interested to hear what you think of it, have you been to the stadium before?

5 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I have a Skywalk to book too so will be interested to hear what you think of it, have you been to the stadium before?

No, I hadn’t Shimmy, it’s most impressive. Skywalk was fun - I hadn’t appreciated you walk up an open bit on the side of the stadium to get up there.

C64EB2CC-F811-421E-A972-B3F984B942E6.thumb.jpeg.5f42e7c2e6c656738d01ddb5c9a13ab6.jpeg

That dark strip above the thin metal bit over the glass is an open walkway. You’re tethered to a rail against the wall side, but completely open floor to ceiling !

@Jammy that must be a hell of a way to first experience the stadium! I’ve been a few times when we could and my first one I was late so got there at half time and ran up corridor stair cases, could have been anywhere until I got to my seat!! 

Im looking forward to the sky walk, hoping to do it around a game weekend ideally Norwich home as my other half is a season ticket and away fan member so we will defi be at that game - we survived last time with a cheeky Spurs win 😝

You’ll have to get there early @Shimmyhill, the guide who took us today said they have to stop skywalks 2 hours before a game on matchdays.

My brother and I looking over the edge - I’m the beardo...

BCB9661D-5456-467C-A28C-045715234F3C.thumb.jpeg.5fc6069c7c20627a8c632ece7107eee4.jpeg

PS - Kane’s shirt is still in the dressing room.

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Conte or Zidane?? Or more likely Roberto Martinez. 

Of those three, Conte by a mile, Zidane an extremely distant second. Martinez so far behind Zidane he can’t be seen even by Hubble.

6 hours ago, Jammy said:

Of those three, Conte by a mile, Zidane an extremely distant second. Martinez so far behind Zidane he can’t be seen even by Hubble.

But as Spurs fans we know that Martinez is the likeliest option. Prepare for disappointment! 

Would be happy to see Poch back, not only because he knows a lot of the work that needs to be done to refresh the squad already but also as it's a pretty clear indication that Levy knows how much he fucked it by firing him and hiring Mourinho. 

That said I'd be very happy with Conte as well, he's a really smart manager who knows how to adapt tactics to the squad he has. Taking the mediocre squad he had at Juve in his first season not only to the title but to do it unbeaten was truly remarkable. I expect him to be rocking up at the Bernabeu soon though, really. 

Was speaking to one of the tour guides a bit yesterday. He said if we were down the pub he’d give us his opinions on what’s been happening but since he was at work he had to be tactful. But he did agree Poch coming back would be great - as long as he gets the rebuild he wanted before he was sacked.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Was speaking to one of the tour guides a bit yesterday. He said if we were down the pub he’d give us his opinions on what’s been happening but since he was at work he had to be tactful. But he did agree Poch coming back would be great - as long as he gets the rebuild he wanted before he was sacked.

Imagine some of the players you could have got if Levy had given the same money he spent hiring and then firing Mourinho to invest in the team...

42 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Didn't Pochettino buy a lot of the deadwood you guys say need to be moved on? Unless he gets a sizeable transfer budget I'm not sure he's going to be the answer.

Not that many really. Aurier was definitely a bit of a miss with him and Foyth didn't really get much time to play, but his other purchases either played better under him than they have under Mourinho or barely had any time with him. Remember that there was that 18-month period where there were no purchases at all! 

Still, one of the big issues in the summer before he left was Pochettino wanted to do a big rebuild and other people at the club didn't, which is a problem anyone coming in is going to have to face still. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Didn't Pochettino buy a lot of the deadwood you guys say need to be moved on? Unless he gets a sizeable transfer budget I'm not sure he's going to be the answer.

There’s some doubt over who’s actually been buying the players too. From what they described recently, Mourinho told them the name of the player he actually wanted, and then Hitchen and Levy went and found a bargain basement version. Pochettino described similar before he left last time, saying to an assembled throng of journos that he should no longer be called Spurs manager because he didn’t choose the players anymore, and he should be called Head Coach instead.

We never adequately replaced Dembele plus Eriksen stopped trying. These were the key parts of the Poch downfall. If he comes back and gets at least 2 defenders plus a creative midfielder then he has a chance. It's worth remembering that when he was the manager we even did well without Kane. 

There’s a lot of dead wood to go, and he needs to assess what we have left. Walker and Trippier were never replaced adequately on the right, Toby and Jan are history (not quite yet for Toby, but he’s slowing down). Rose never came back from his knee injury and subsequent mental health issues, sadly. Reguilon and Sessegnon might be ok there though. Will Pochettino’s renowned and fearsome fitness regime make Ndombele into the new Dembele, which he sometimes looks like when he’s not blowing out of his arse ? Can he forge Bergwijn into the finished article ? He stopped playing Dier in his last full season, so I think he knows about him already. Can he get the old Dele back ?

In theory he already knows what needs to be done, because he wanted to do it before and Levy wouldn’t finance it.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

There’s a lot of dead wood to go, and he needs to assess what we have left. Walker and Trippier were never replaced adequately on the right, Toby and Jan are history (not quite yet for Toby, but he’s slowing down). Rose never came back from his knee injury and subsequent mental health issues, sadly. Reguilon and Sessegnon might be ok there though. Will Pochettino’s renowned and fearsome fitness regime make Ndombele into the new Dembele, which he sometimes looks like when he’s not blowing out of his arse ? Can he forge Bergwijn into the finished article ? He stopped playing Dier in his last full season, so I think he knows about him already. Can he get the old Dele back ?

In theory he already knows what needs to be done, because he wanted to do it before and Levy wouldn’t finance it.

Toby will be off if Poch does come back as they fell out, I just hope Winks and Sissiko are sold, as bad as our defence was, our midfield was even worse.  This won’t be a popular opinion but I don’t think PEH is good enough either.