IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

2 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

Toby will be off if Poch does come back as they fell out, I just hope Winks and Sissiko are sold, as bad as our defence was, our midfield was even worse.  This won’t be a popular opinion but I don’t think PEH is good enough either.

Good point - he was holding off signing a new contract, I’d forgotten about that. Totally agree on Winks and Sissoko. The defence were under constant pressure because the midfield never showed for the ball, and just passed back to the defenders if they did get it. 

I’ll reserve judgement on PEH for when he doesn’t have Winks or Sissoko as a midfield partner :)

22 hours ago, Gabe said:

Didn't Pochettino buy a lot of the deadwood you guys say need to be moved on? Unless he gets a sizeable transfer budget I'm not sure he's going to be the answer.

Pochettino wanted to move a lot of the dead wood on too, but they're still there.

24 minutes ago, meatbin said:

PEH played every single PL game this season, plus a handful of cup games.  He dropped off in the latter half of the season, he's knackered!  We need better rotation. 

He’s a decent player but that’s it.  Currently none of our midfield options are great, Tanguay is easily the most talented but his work rate is terrible and is probably suited to a slower style of football.

21 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

He’s a decent player but that’s it.  Currently none of our midfield options are great, Tanguay is easily the most talented but his work rate is terrible and is probably suited to a slower style of football.

I still think with a proper Pochettino style pre-season he can get there. In other news, I suckered in my son - he’s one of us now...

5F29FC12-AC90-473E-91EE-69FDFB3F6E69.jpeg

Italian press saying Conte as manager, with Paratici as Director of Football, is a done deal. Paratici is a brilliant appointment if true - finally someone who knows football in charge of recruitment. And Conte won’t take any shit from anyone, Levy included.

Conte is either going to lead us to glory or he won’t even last six months before quitting in anger.

This really is the last throw of the dice for Levy, if this appointment fails, it’s back to the drawing board and a long and painful rebuild process will have to begin.

I think the potential appointment of Paratici is a big statement of intent regarding a rebuild. Conte’s not known for long term projects bringing through youngsters, he’s known for spending to get who he wants, and getting results. Hopefully Paratici is part of a more long term approach to build a really decent team for the future.

Interestingly, Conte’s preferred formation is a well balanced 3-5-2, so we may actually see Reguilon and Doherty in their preferred positions. It also means we need at least two decent CBs in the transfer window to go with Rodon and Alderweireld, unless Conte is the one to finally get some consistency out of Sanchez.

1 hour ago, vezna said:

Conte and Levy comes across as a terrible combination. It would be hard to imagine a less compatible pairing. 

With Paratici reportedly also on his way in as DoF there's going to be a buffer between them in terms of transfer dealings, which would be the area they'd likely clash. 

Conte is clearly a shorter term option, with Kane and Son at their peak then it kinda makes sense to get someone in who can make the players 'be their best' and try and win something.  It's a gamble, much like it was with Mourinho, but I think Conte is an overall better manager.

I'd still like to see a manager who comes in and builds the team up from a bunch of youth, and scouted talent (AKA Poch or Erik Van Taag).

Perhaps we'll now have Conte for 2 years, and Poch after his 2 year PSG spell.  

4 hours ago, meatbin said:

Conte is clearly a shorter term option, with Kane and Son at their peak then it kinda makes sense to get someone in who can make the players 'be their best' and try and win something.  It's a gamble, much like it was with Mourinho, but I think Conte is an overall better manager.

I'd still like to see a manager who comes in and builds the team up from a bunch of youth, and scouted talent (AKA Poch or Erik Van Taag).

Perhaps we'll now have Conte for 2 years, and Poch after his 2 year PSG spell.  

I wondered the same - Conte in short term to try and win something, Paratici in longterm to start building a team for when Pochettino’s contract expires at PSG.

5 hours ago, meatbin said:

Winning something would be nice, I just want us to start playing games that are not awful to watch. 

A return to Champions League would be great. 

Yeah just nice football would be a start. Even when we were winning under José it was mainly awful (not always though). I'd like to see us comprehensively control a game without the usual need for brown trousers every time the ball is in our half.

Conte reportedly assessed the squad as not good enough, and asked for massive funds to invest, and didn’t want to work with youngsters, which was obvious to most people but seemingly a surprise to the hierarchy at the club. No chance with Levy holding the purse strings. If he wants that, he needs to go all out for Pochettino or someone like Graham Potter.

Paratici’s number one choice apparently. Not the high profile manager I was hoping for, but then Pochettino had just finished 8th with Southampton when Levy hired him. My Italian/Italian football loving friend who supports Juventus says he would have been very happy if he’d turned up at Juve after Pirlo was fired, and was equally effusive about Paratici.

3 hours ago, Jammy said:

Paratici’s number one choice apparently. Not the high profile manager I was hoping for, but then Pochettino had just finished 8th with Southampton when Levy hired him. My Italian/Italian football loving friend who supports Juventus says he would have been very happy if he’d turned up at Juve after Pirlo was fired, and was equally effusive about Paratici.

The guy couldn’t even win the Portuguese league with Porto, that’s like managing Ajax and not winning the Dutch league.  I would rather have Graham Potter to be honest.

27 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

Let’s just hope this new Sporting Director knows of a few good strikers to replace Kane, as this appointment won’t convince him to stay.

If Fonseca works off a central focal point with runners, and assuming Kane goes, they could do a lot worse than keep Vinicius and have Son and Bergwijn or Lucas playing off him. His style will also play Reguilon and Doherty in their proper positions.