IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

Happy to back him, but it's not very inspiring, and he comes with the Mendes mafia behind him.

Pleased we've got a director of football in, if NES can focus on getting the team playing well and winning games, it may not be as bad as most of us are thinking right now.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

I’m probably on record in this thread somewhere saying I didn’t want Nuno, but he’s a better appointment than Roberto Martinez, so I’m less unhappy than I could’ve been. 

Agreed. Miles better than Martinez. Bit disappointing when Conte was seemingly on the cards though. Also it's a step up from Eddie Howe. 

As good as a coach Conte is, he was never right for Spurs and he wouldn’t have lasted even a season.

The new DOF has a huge task now to shift all the deadwood, there’s at least 7 players that need to be sold, then about 4 new ones to get in.

11 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

What's the feeling for Levy amongst Spurs fans? Always thought he was well in credit but everything from his sacking Pochettino has been an utter shitshow. He doesn't seem to get the flak he warrants.

Most of the people on the Spurs community I read are very unhappy now abs quite a few have given up their season tickets.

We are quite frankly a mess right now, and if we don’t have a really good transfer window we may just sink into mid-table mediocrity alongside Arsenal, especially if Kane goes.

I can't speak for all Spurs fans obviously but those that I know ran out patience with Levy a long time ago. No point building the best stadium in the world if you don't invest in the team - no one gives a damn about winning the battle of the balance sheets.

6 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

What's the feeling for Levy amongst Spurs fans? Always thought he was well in credit but everything from his sacking Pochettino has been an utter shitshow. He doesn't seem to get the flak he warrants.

Apologies for the lengthy answer GGG. Most fans on social media have been unhappy with Levy and the board since before the Poch sacking - he’s missed a few golden opportunities to push us on to a level where we would have been truly competitive. First one that springs to mind is when we were second at Christmas under Redknapp, and ‘Arry asked for Tevez and Cahill in the January window, and Levy went and got an ageing Louis Saha and an ancient Ryan Nelson instead, and the challenge faltered and ‘Arry was sacked after having his head turned by the vacant role with England. Second time was when we wasted the Bale money mostly on players AVB didn’t ask for, and he was subsequently sacked for failing to get the team to gel. Third time was the final season at WHL when we were unbeaten all season and Pochettino urged the board to “Be brave” and buy the final couple of pieces of the jigsaw. Levy subsequently signed literally no-one for two transfer windows. Last time was after the CL Final; the run to the final papered over the chasms of a truly appalling second half of the 2018/2019 season, and Poch asked for his “painful rebuild”, and was sacked not long after, when their league form continued into the new season.

Add to that, Levy and Hitchen have spent what money they have on players that have not been up to scratch, have failed to replace very good players adequately; Kyle Walker, Moussa Dembele and Victor Wanyama spring to mind there; and have failed to get a lot of transfers over the line quibbling about stupid amounts of money. Jack Grealish, for example, had agreed to come to Spurs and Levy quibbled about an additional couple of million on Villa’s asking price, so the deal fell through.

If he had kept his nose out of the football side and just kept it in the business side, I suspect we would be a lot better off now than we are. His hiring of Fabio Paratici is a tacit admission of this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/07/2021 at 13:34, Jammy said:

Apologies for the lengthy answer GGG. Most fans on social media have been unhappy with Levy and the board since before the Poch sacking - he’s missed a few golden opportunities to push us on to a level where we would have been truly competitive. First one that springs to mind is when we were second at Christmas under Redknapp, and ‘Arry asked for Tevez and Cahill in the January window, and Levy went and got an ageing Louis Saha and an ancient Ryan Nelson instead, and the challenge faltered and ‘Arry was sacked after having his head turned by the vacant role with England. Second time was when we wasted the Bale money mostly on players AVB didn’t ask for, and he was subsequently sacked for failing to get the team to gel. Third time was the final season at WHL when we were unbeaten all season and Pochettino urged the board to “Be brave” and buy the final couple of pieces of the jigsaw. Levy subsequently signed literally no-one for two transfer windows. Last time was after the CL Final; the run to the final papered over the chasms of a truly appalling second half of the 2018/2019 season, and Poch asked for his “painful rebuild”, and was sacked not long after, when their league form continued into the new season.

Add to that, Levy and Hitchen have spent what money they have on players that have not been up to scratch, have failed to replace very good players adequately; Kyle Walker, Moussa Dembele and Victor Wanyama spring to mind there; and have failed to get a lot of transfers over the line quibbling about stupid amounts of money. Jack Grealish, for example, had agreed to come to Spurs and Levy quibbled about an additional couple of million on Villa’s asking price, so the deal fell through.

If he had kept his nose out of the football side and just kept it in the business side, I suspect we would be a lot better off now than we are. His hiring of Fabio Paratici is a tacit admission of this.

How many players would the signing of Mourinho and subsequent sacking have got you instead?

Spurs to me always seem to be a nearly club.  A few players in the right places would have seen you kick on, but instead you either hold or slip back a little so the next season see you play catch up again.  What do you think happens to the Kane money if he goes?  Replacement players or quietly absorb the amount into running of the club?

43 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

How many players would the signing of Mourinho and subsequent sacking have got you instead?

Spurs to me always seem to be a nearly club.  A few players in the right places would have seen you kick on, but instead you either hold or slip back a little so the next season see you play catch up again.  What do you think happens to the Kane money if he goes?  Replacement players or quietly absorb the amount into running of the club?

The main issue is no one can really compete with Man City, Man U or Chelsea - Liverpool threw 200 million at a nearly team and did win the big prizes but our owners are never going to do that and hope to financially compete with the stadium etc. You could praise them for it as its sustainable and a long term plan and we have been a club with 6th place funding competing in the top 4 for a decade, of course in the social media/tribal rival fan base world we live in that’s abject failure 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

A bit of both I would imagine. The main one where we should have invested in a couple of players was after the final season at WHL. That squad was still young enough to go all out for a couple of years with sensible improvements. I guess my main gripe is that when Levy HAS spent money recently it’s not been particularly wisely. Buying wingers and CMs for a squad that already had a fair few of both (quality debatable) and going into a new season without an established right back, for example.

It’s debatable how many players he could’ve bought with the Mourinho money - a decent player is upwards of £40m these days, and I don’t think Mourinho cost an awful lot more, so maybe one and a bit ? 

26 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Has Lamela actually gone yet? I don't think I can manage another season of watching him underhitting passes and overrunning the ball. 

No-one’s gone yet - this concerns me…

48 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Errrrrr

I read that rumour this afternoon - apparently we’re buying Bryan Gil from them too. Spanish 20-year old supposed wonderkid left winger; has played for the national side at all levels including senior.

51 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I read that rumour this afternoon - apparently we’re buying Bryan Gil from them too. Spanish 20-year old supposed wonderkid left winger; has played for the national side at all levels including senior.

Remember when Lamela was a wonderkid? Maybe the injuries stopped it from working. I'll be glad to never see him again. 

Yeah, if the rest of our team gave as much of a shit as Lamela, we might have won something. Unfortunately, he never fulfilled the early predictions of his talent. And he was made of balsa wood.

16 hours ago, Jammy said:

Gil will get fans standing if you can get the ball to him. Proper winger and great fun to watch.