IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

He never had them. He's a sad, negative man. Out of his depth. Never understood this 'likeable' thing - I think he's bloody useless. We would honestly get more points if we hired Big Sam. And probably play slightly better football. 

Against Man City the players looked like they were with the program, but it's been continually eroding since then. 

I don't think he's a useless manager, he did do a good job at Wolves, but I do think he's just as burnt out now as he was in the last season there. I'm sure he felt that he couldn't pass up the job when Levy came knocking, but he should have taken time off. 

9 minutes ago, redbloodcel said:

Against Man City the players looked like they were with the program, but it's been continually eroding since then. 

I don't think he's a useless manager, he did do a good job at Wolves, but I do think he's just as burnt out now as he was in the last season there. I'm sure he felt that he couldn't pass up the job when Levy came knocking, but he should have taken time off.

Look at his stats at wolves. He was perhaps doing ok for a while but it's clear he's a defensive coach who is way out of his depth. A defensive coach who has conceded 9 goals in his last 3 games - and let's be honest Arsenal took their foot off the gas. 

17 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I don't think any manager can make this team work to be honest. I think its where the less ambitious players go to coast for a few years but still get paid. Quite a wheeze when you know the managers going to get it in the neck each time you are crap.

So the English equivalent of the mls then?

We needed a respected manager with a high tempo philosophy. Instead we've got an animated corpse who only talks about 'trying' and 'working'. Can you imagine his team talk before the derby? I bet the players were falling asleep as he droned on with his vague ideas about how not to lose. 

Only spurs could sign 4 players and leave them all on the bench. An absolute catastrophe. I hope villa spank us and that gets him out of the door. He is absolutely useless. 

Levy is only following orders. We'd need brand new owners to take the club forward really. Under the current owners the best we can do is what we were doing under Poch. We need to get a decent young manager and absolutely nail our player recruitment. 

This season is about grim survival until Nuno goes. 

Ideally I’d like Lewis to sell up to someone willing to put money into the team, keep Levy on as Business Director or something, because he’s pretty good at that side, pay the money to get Poch or Conte or someone like that, and give them and Paratici carte blanche to build a team. 

And Steve Hitchen can sod off.

6 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Spurs seem to be the only team I know of that buy players who just seem to sit on the bench or make sub appearances. If we stump up the cash at least play them! 

Poch would always take a little while before fully releasing them in the first team and it generally worked well - I’m hoping the same with our new ones, its a hard league to jump into at the best of times but even worse with a team with no plan/confidence/manager….

We need to give a thrashing tonight, three goals scored at least.  Need to see some of the younger or B-team players out to give the regulars something to think about. 

Scarlett to score a hat-trick would be brilliant.

(None of the above will happen)

28 minutes ago, meatbin said:

We need to give a thrashing tonight, three goals scored at least.  Need to see some of the younger or B-team players out to give the regulars something to think about. 

Scarlett to score a hat-trick would be brilliant.

(None of the above will happen)

I expect we'll win. We might even look half decent doing it. But then against Villa it'll be back to hoofball with no midfield. So proud. 

Well, I was surprised to see Kane, Son, & Lucas come on, but at least the hat trick will boost Kane's confidence.

Le Celso was more of the player we thought he would be, but he needs to show that in the Premier League now.

I don't want to be critical, but Dele didn't really impress - and he really should be when played against that level of competition.   It feels like a combination of him trying too hard to do clever flicks and knocks, and waiting too long to pass the ball on.  Everything he was involved with never progressed into a chance.  Good pen though.   Great player in there somewhere, but we've not seen him for years. 

On 27/09/2021 at 09:01, Stoppy2000 said:

He never had them. He's a sad, negative man. Out of his depth. Never understood this 'likeable' thing - I think he's bloody useless. We would honestly get more points if we hired Big Sam. And probably play slightly better football. 

You would get more points and as much as it would make my day (being WHU) please do not do this unless you have no regard for the soul of your club. 

And no matter how shit you think it is now, you will not play better football. Don't forget we were booing him when we were winning by the end.....

12 minutes ago, Jammy said:

He was rightly subbed off - I don’t know what happened to him at the 2018 World Cup, but he hasn’t been the same player since.

Yeah he's been shocking for a long time. I seem to remember he started getting injuries that he never quite seemed to come back from. Now he looks to be as fit as possible but has lost what made him special. I think he needs dropping. 

3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Yep. A lot better. Should have put it to bed though. Lots of nearly moments in front of goal. At least we had some possession this time. That is our best lineup I think.

Didn’t watch the game but saw the BBC live feed - seems we actually created a lot of chances, which is an improvement in itself.

16 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Yep. A lot better. Should have put it to bed though. Lots of nearly moments in front of goal. At least we had some possession this time. That is our best lineup I think.

We still need a proper number 10 though, but overall that formation is definitely the way to move forward and hopefully continue to improve.

14 hours ago, Jammy said:

Didn’t watch the game but saw the BBC live feed - seems we actually created a lot of chances, which is an improvement in itself.

Yeah Son, Kane and Lo Celso should all have scored really. Villa were poor. Romero looked good next to Dier. 

4 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

We still need a proper number 10 though, but overall that formation is definitely the way to move forward and hopefully continue to improve.

I expect the plan is going to be to let Ndombele adapt into it, the things he was trying didn't really come off right yesterday but he had the right ideas, so it could well work out. 

That said that spot is probably where Kane's long-term future lays (even if it isn't at Spurs) as he loses some of the the limited pace he had and becomes more of a provider than a finisher, so it might be worth giving him some time there too. Stick Son up top and bring Gil or Bergwijn in on the left to inject more speed into that attacking line and get them pressing higher up. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jammy said:

Good win today - Kane was actually at the races, Ndombele played where he should always be playing. I feel a bit sorry for Dier - he’s a solid enough player but he just seems to attract bad luck.

Yes. Luckily if you are going to score a comedy own goal then that's the game to do it in. 

Ndombele needs a good run now. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Yes. Luckily if you are going to score a comedy own goal then that's the game to do it in. 

Ndombele needs a good run now. 

I think the whole XI will be for the time being, with the rest playing cup games.

With the system having shifted hard toward controlled possession football I wonder if Nuno was just being too cautious in changing the system as a whole but then thought "fuck it" after the bad run. Could be that the team as a whole has found the switch back towards that style easier as they spent so much less time with Mou on the training ground over his 2 seasons due to Covid. 

Ndombele looking great in the No 10 position, PVH is a different and better player with Skipp behind him. 

Defence seems okay, Kane hopefully back, and we've got good options in the forward positions (Gill, Le Celso, Bergy). 

Looking a lot more positive now.