The Spurs Thread

He plays like a world-beater for Argentina. I don’t think we play him in the right position.

Not that we deserved anything from the game, but Vitesse were a bunch of divers, and kept getting Spurs players booked with their theatrics. I hate watching those sort of games.

At least you can see why this lot are the reserves - mostly just not good enough. Dele has done what he did with Mourinho and managed to look alright for the first four games of Nuno’s tenure, and is now back to what he’s been like since 2018 - bobbins. Winks just isn’t good enough. Double sale to Newcastle ?

God awful again. The senior players playing today all need binning. Absolutely no desire. What is the point of them. Dele should be sold whatever the price. He's a lost cause as a footballer now. Winks is king of the crab passes. Lo Celso is Lamela without the tackling. A shambles. All topped off with a manager who is a charisma vacuum.

10 hours ago, meatbin said:

Only one sub made.  Bit weird when you've got a whole 11 of young, hungry players on the bench and it's a proper micky mouse game.

Le Celso has never had a good run in the team, let alone played in a constant position.     

Does he deserve a run in the team? On last night's performance - absolutely no chance. 

He's a 'nearly' man just like Lamela - that was nearly a great run/pass/shot - delete as applicable. 

30 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Does he deserve a run in the team? On last night's performance - absolutely no chance. 

He's a 'nearly' man just like Lamela - that was nearly a great run/pass/shot - delete as applicable. 

Well, it's just that reportably he plays so well for Argentina, you must think there is a good player in there somewhere. 

He's barely played for Spurs tbh, he's been out with injury longer than notnit seems. 

I think the key Nuno needs to find and tune his system, and then the players like Le Celso can understand better what they should be doing, rather than just playing slighlt spontaneously. He probably knows the Argentina system way better than he ever has with Spurs, mostly since we've either had no or a really shite system since Poch went. 

But he could just be another Lamela tbf. 

Not a single shot in the second half. 

I watched it, and to be fair I thought we were alright, could have scored 2-3 in first half. 

West Ham fairly solid, and once again they score from a set piece. 

What is really worrying is that once WH scored, we had absolutely nothing to come back with. Lack of tactical options from the manager, lack of intensity/drive from the players. 

4 hours ago, meatbin said:

I watched it, and to be fair I thought we were alright, could have scored 2-3 in first half. 

What is really worrying is that once WH scored, we had absolutely nothing to come back with. Lack of tactical options from the manager, lack of intensity/drive from the players. 

That's the third time this season we've not had a single shot in the second half. We are so bad. It's all just the luck of the draw if we win. Nuno out. 

14 hours ago, meatbin said:

That's a bit of a trope. We hadn't scored a set piece this season until last Sunday at Everton. 

As a West Ham fan I thought Spurs looked really, really disjointed. You've got some fabulous players but there was a severe lack of intensity about your play. I don't know if it's the 'only playing West Ham so we don't have to try so hard' (even though your recent record against us is pretty grim) or the whole 'cup final' lark or maybe even a bit of the players not wanting to play the managers tactics?

I think you'll still finish top 8 with Nuno but no way are you getting anywhere near the CL places which I'd imagine Levy is demanding and needing with the expense of the (lovely) new stadium. I also think the Kane situation needs addressing one way or another as he's not the Kane of previous seasons.

37 minutes ago, Scruff said:

That's a bit of a trope. We hadn't scored a set piece this season until last Sunday at Everton. 

As a West Ham fan I thought Spurs looked really, really disjointed. You've got some fabulous players but there was a severe lack of intensity about your play. I don't know if it's the 'only playing West Ham so we don't have to try so hard' (even though your recent record against us is pretty grim) or the whole 'cup final' lark or maybe even a bit of the players not wanting to play the managers tactics?

I think you'll still finish top 8 with Nuno but no way are you getting anywhere near the CL places which I'd imagine Levy is demanding and needing with the expense of the (lovely) new stadium. I also think the Kane situation needs addressing one way or another as he's not the Kane of previous seasons.

I think he just meant ‘the opposition’ scored a set-piece rather than West Ham specifically. We keep conceding from them.

‘Disjointed’, ‘disinterested’, ‘bereft of attacking ideas’, ‘lack of intensity’. Some of those are your phrases and some are mine, but they all sum up the last couple of years at Spurs (and before that if you look at league form only).

1 hour ago, mrben09 said:

So lets assume Kane leaves at some point this season or close season. Admittedly, not that much of a stretch.

Does Son think fuck this and leave as well? Best player on the Tottenham side yesterday by a mile.  

He just signed a new contract and that was while It looked like Kane was still going to go. I think he’s happy at Spurs, but looking at body language I wonder whether he and others are getting pissed off with Kane’s lack of effort, and that despite that he’s still the first name on the team sheet. I would drop him on current form and go back to the Bergwijn/Son/Moura front three. We actually looked up for it the first three games of the season that Kane didn’t play in.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

He just signed a new contract and that was while It looked like Kane was still going to go. I think he’s happy at Spurs, but looking at body language I wonder whether he and others are getting pissed of with Kane’s lack of effort, and that despite that he’s still the first name on the team sheet. I would drop him on current form and go back to the Bergwijn/Son/Moura front three. We actually looked up for it the first three games of the season that Kane didn’t play in.

I do think there is an element of them trying to prove to the media that we weren't a one man team while Kane wasn't playing. But the sad thing is that those 3 wins weren't good to watch at all (man city possibly excluded).

The squad is poor and still hasn't replaced Eriksen. I just don't think Nuno is the man to inspire these players - he is a poor manager and looks completely out of his depth. I'm expecting him to get sacked before Xmas. 

On 24/10/2021 at 18:21, meatbin said:

I missed the first half annoyingly. Didn't think the performance in the second was bad in the first 2/3 of the pitch, but as soon as it came to turning the possession into a chance it fell apart. The team was seemingly determined to play through the middle of a very solid defence and it was never going to work. Nuno did try to change it up I think when he brought on Gil & Bergwijn but it didn't work at all, and West Ham really exploited Gil not being comfortable as a WB to end the game on the front foot. 

To be honest I do still think there were the same green shoots visible that were present against Villa. There was definitely a clear intent to retain possession, control the game and build patiently, but it didn't pay off and it looks like there's an element missing currently. That might be helped by players coming back from injury, but it's probably a gap that needs to be filled with an incoming player, along with a number of outgoings. 

17 hours ago, redbloodcel said:

I missed the first half annoyingly. Didn't think the performance in the second was bad in the first 2/3 of the pitch, but as soon as it came to turning the possession into a chance it fell apart. The team was seemingly determined to play through the middle of a very solid defence and it was never going to work. Nuno did try to change it up I think when he brought on Gil & Bergwijn but it didn't work at all, and West Ham really exploited Gil not being comfortable as a WB to end the game on the front foot. 

To be honest I do still think there were the same green shoots visible that were present against Villa. There was definitely a clear intent to retain possession, control the game and build patiently, but it didn't pay off and it looks like there's an element missing currently. That might be helped by players coming back from injury, but it's probably a gap that needs to be filled with an incoming player, along with a number of outgoings. 

We’re seriously short of a Christian Eriksen type. I was hoping Lo Celso or NDombele might fit in there, but neither seem to be that type of player.

On 27/10/2021 at 09:52, Jammy said:

We’re seriously short of a Christian Eriksen type. I was hoping Lo Celso or NDombele might fit in there, but neither seem to be that type of player.

Eriksen was great - him and Dembele were big losses. The sad thing is how Eriksen really annoyed me in his last season by seemingly not caring. He was so bad in that last 12 months. Even the hilarious goal that city scored against us in the champions league which was then ruled out by VAR was down to his mistake. 

Lo Celso doesn't do anything well enough to make him worthwhile. Ndombele seems like he could come good but feels a bit like a luxury we can't afford at the moment. 

I'm expecting 0-0 vs United. A drab affair. 

17 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Nuno out. He needs to do something more suited to his skills - I suggest looking forlornly out to sea. 

image.thumb.jpeg.602b4045259c533555803e37ccc4c4ec.jpeg
“I remember when there were ships on the Tyne… big ships… with funnels on them. “