IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

7 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Any point sacking the manager if there isn’t any one lined up, or would you take a caretaker manager even at this point of the season?

Anything is better than the tripe Nuno has served up. And it was blatantly obvious it was coming. A cursory look at his record shows he is not a good fit for Spurs. A boring manager with zero intensity and no elite level credibility. I'm sick of all this "he's a nice guy" talk. What makes him a nice guy. I've not seen any evidence of it. A man who has experienced an unspeakable horror whilst at sea - yes. Nice guy - no. 

29 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

He did donate a quarter of a million pounds to feed hungry families. That was kinda nice. 

Obciouslt that’s amazing and makes him a fantastic human being.

He just needs to stop his charity work against average dross like Arsenal and Man U

9 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Obciouslt that’s amazing and makes him a fantastic human being.

He just needs to stop his charity work against average dross like Arsenal and Man U

Don’t get me wrong it’s clearly a terrible fit at Spurs and parting ways would be best for everyone, don’t demonise him though. 

Don’t understand the manager hate when the problem at Spurs is the ageing team which has desperately been needing rebuilding for the past few years and which Levy refuses to open the purse strings to achieve. A new manager isn’t going to change anything, maybe the hate should be directed at Levy rather than a decent manager who is trying his best? 

You had Poch and a team that was inches away from challenging for top honours. Levy blew the hole in all that not Nuno. 

8 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Don’t understand the manager hate when the problem at Spurs is the ageing team which has desperately been needing rebuilding for the past few years and which Levy refuses to open the purse strings to achieve. A new manager isn’t going to change anything, maybe the hate should be directed at Levy rather than a decent manager who is trying his best? 

You had Poch and a team that was inches away from challenging for top honours. Levy blew the hole in all that not Nuno. 

Have you watched us this season? By almost every metric we are awful. 

Levy is definitely the main problem - but the squad has to a degree been rebuilt. The issue is in the quality of the purchases and the tactics being employed. There is no way a team with Son and Kane should be having zero shots in a game. Nuno is the easiest problem to remove - then it's on to Lo Celso, Dele and maybe Kane.

Yeah, as I said in the main football thread, perhaps Levy should bugger off along with Nuno.

I know people always say that Levy is a great negotiator ("He got £90m for Bale!") - but who gives a shit? People will say that was great money, but whilst he was patting himself on the back for a good job, Bale was off winning a bazillion Champions Leagues, so who do fans think did better out of that deal? People might also say that he fought off the might of Man City and kept Kane - but ignoring how awful Kane has been this season, if he had actually backed Pochettino after 2019 then Kane wouldn't have wanted to go in the first place.

You guys have a fantastic stadium - absolutely top-notch - but Levy has no interest in actually taking the club forward (the Mourinho and Nuno appointments have shown that), so what good does him being a supposed good negotiator matter to fans when he has no clue how to actually create a successful club? Unless maybe it was always his ambition to appear (and perform badly) in the UEFA Conference League...

Levy is no saint at all but this team shouldn’t be playing as badly as it is right now.

Also Levy isn’t to blame for all the money that’s been wasted on Lo Celso, Sessengion, N’dombele and Sanchez, that’s over 150 million on players that haven’t been good enough and btw were all players Poch wanted.

Our transfer business since 2017 has been terrible and that’s the main reason we find ourselves in this current position as since the season we finished 2nd we have been going slowly backwards ever since.

55 minutes ago, footle said:

What fraction of £100m is Kane worth now? That is how good a negotiator Levy is.

I wanted him sold before the season started, and if he keeps putting in the minimal effort he has done all season so far, his status as a Spurs legend is fast becoming incredibly tarnished.

I remember when Modric didn’t get his move to Chelsea, he came back that season and played his football for us and because of that, when he did move to Real Madrid, most Spurs fans begrudgingly weren’t too upset.

I think if we had got a top quality manager and shown ambition Kane would have been happy to stay. Unfortunately Nuno is a desperation appointment with absolutely zero potential for inspiring a team to top level success. 

If Kane had left in the summer I would have accepted it - he has been our best player for years so you can't begrudge him wanting to leave this shit show. 

Imagine any other top level striker being happy to rely on service from Lo Celso, Dele, Winks, Davies, Doherty or Bergwijn. 

1 minute ago, Smoothy said:

Confirmed.

So what was the point of that?  10 games?  Fuck's sake.  

Like I've said before, the manager is not the issue, it's fucking Levy.

In this case it was both. This manager was a lame duck. Levy appointed him though so I guess you are right. 

We need to get the next appointment right. We won't though. 

Surely Conte isn't going to fancy the rebuild job. He's the hottest property going so can probably just sit on his hands until a mega-job turns up. I suppose fair enough that Levy doesn't want to see the season go down the shit pipe and has acted, but it's entirely his direction that's turned the whole thing into the Lord Mayor's Show again.

Levy has been shit for a while.  Got rid of George Graham the night before a cup semi final.  Appointed Jacques Santini who left 6 weeks later (clearly he knew the setup was Mickey Mouse).  Got rid of Jol even though he repeatedly got the team 5th.  Got rid of Redknapp for daring to court the England job even though he repeatedly got Spurs 4th and into the Champions League.  Laughably appointed that kid Villas-Boas, how long did he last?  Appointed Pochettino and stiffed him by amazingly not buying any players in an 18-month period.  Did the same with clearly the best manager out there, Mourinho (I'm fucking embarrassed for him).  Where's the proper investment in the team?  Where's the long-term planning?  Why is it that in the same period a side like Liverpool (who had a joke of two comedy owners at one point, and hadn't won the league in so long Man Utd caught up, surpassed them which allowed their long-term manager to finally retire after "knocking Liverpool off their perch") can move up in a clear and defined manner while we can't?

4 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

I would prefer Potter as I feel Conte could be a total disaster.

I agree. I do like the idea of Conte going absolutely mad about some of the shitters we have clogging up the squad though. Also he might make Ndombele capable of playing 90 minutes without being on the verge of death. 

Apparently Conte wanted to come but wasn’t happy with financials, seems he has played Levy and will get the job with a load of cash - I’d take him over Potter at the moment as it will mean investment in players and he is likely to keep Kane, I suspect Kane was desperate to leave when we appointed Nuno and showed we had no ambition.

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Apparently Conte wanted to come but wasn’t happy with financials, seems he has played Levy and will get the job with a load of cash - I’d take him over Potter at the moment as it will mean investment in players and he is likely to keep Kane, I suspect Kane was desperate to leave when we appointed Nuno and showed we had no ambition.

It always seemed like Nuno was quite surprised about Kane still being around. But then Nuno looked baffled about everything. 

14 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

The ageing thing is a bit of a myth now. Sure, Lloris is no spring chicken, but not old by goalie standards, and the majority of the team are mid-20s, with Son being the oldest at 29. Even Ben Davies is only 28, and he seems to have been around for decades !

Substitute the word ‘ageing’ for ‘stale’ or indeed just ‘average’, and you have a good point.

14 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I suspect Kane was desperate to leave when we appointed Nuno and showed we had no ambition.

And this is where I never understand the way some players think - if you want a move to a top team, don’t down tools and play like you’d rather be anywhere else; play out of your skin and prove that you deserve to be somewhere better. Eriksen did the same in his final

season, and reportedly it was his attitude post-January and in the CL Final that put Zidane off signing him for Madrid.

3 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Line up the next sucker.

(How much out of the 2 year initial contract will Nuno bank?)

There was a report a few weeks ago that there was a ‘zero compensation’ clause in his contract if he was sacked. Don’t know how true that is, but it certainly showed they weren’t sure how long he would last, whether by the team's performance or someone else becoming unexpectedly available.