Jump to content
IGNORED

The Spurs Thread


213
 Share

Recommended Posts

There comes a time when you have to wipe the slate and it's time to say goodbye to Sanchez, Dele, Ndombele, Docherty.  I think it's time up for Moura too.

 

Just getting rid of them and four/five new, better players in should have a big impact.

 

Always wanted to give Ndombele a longterm chance, but it seems he's just not got the right mentality for the Premiership.  I would be keen to see if Conte can turn him around, but he doesn't really seem like a Conte player so I'm doubtful.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, meatbin said:

There comes a time when you have to wipe the slate and it's time to say goodbye to Sanchez, Dele, Ndombele, Docherty.  I think it's time up for Moura too.

 

Just getting rid of them and four/five new, better players in should have a big impact.

 

Always wanted to give Ndombele a longterm chance, but it seems he's just not got the right mentality for the Premiership.  I would be keen to see if Conte can turn him around, but he doesn't really seem like a Conte player so I'm doubtful.  

Conte did try to buy him for Inter, so he must see something in him. I dunno, I’ve been a Ndombele supporter too, but he was given a chance to run the midfield last night against a side he should be bossing, and he was just walking around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Conte did try to buy him for Inter, so he must see something in him. I dunno, I’ve been a Ndombele supporter too, but he was given a chance to run the midfield last night against a side he should be bossing, and he was just walking around.

 

Well that's encouraging.  I think Ndombele will get to the summer at least, there is no way we'd re-coup what we paid for him if sold in January.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with our awful recruitment is also that we never just cut our losses. Look at Lamela - he was clearly way off the pace after a year. Should have took a £10m loss on him and moved on.

Ndombele will probably lurk around at spurs for 5 seasons because we don't want to look like fools selling him at a loss. 

Lo Celso another one that we have foolishly kept despite the fact he offers zero. 

Dele needs to go even for £10m. He's just not worth a squad place. 

Doherty is a baffling purchase and has only gotten worse. 

I expect we'll get rid of maybe one of those players in January. Dele looks the most likely. He was an absolute disgrace last night. 

Oh and Sanchez needs to go.

 

Other than that it's all fine. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder who would actually take a punt on Dele. He seems past the 'needs a change of scenery' stage and genuinely seems mentally and physically shot. You may laugh but I doubt a lot of teams in the lower reaches of the league would want to risk bringing him in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The starting XI *should* be quite good with decent coaching. The issue is that our backups are not at the same level. That can work when one of your starters is injured and you only need to bring one replacement in, but when you have nine of them on the pitch who can’t be fucked, the level is going to drop considerably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I wonder who would actually take a punt on Dele. He seems past the 'needs a change of scenery' stage and genuinely seems mentally and physically shot. You may laugh but I doubt a lot of teams in the lower reaches of the league would want to risk bringing him in.

The ideal scenario is that Newcastle pay a daft amount of money to take him. He really doesn't seem arsed at all though so a relegation battle doesn't seem like a great fit. We've got to hope for some seriously gullible buyers in January. Sadly we are probably the most gullible. 😭

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard this week that Dele gets more money from modelling with BooHoo than he does with Spurs.  Add to that his 'gamer' sponsorships, I think you could argue that's Dele's head is just not 100% with football.

 

Obviously this is all speculation and taken with a pinch of salt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The destruction of Alli's career has been weird to watch from the outside. He was at one point one of the most exciting attack-minded midfielders around, but he also had a physicality that allowed him to really tough it out in the middle of the pitch too. Then his form started to drop, pundits started getting on his back about his attitude and it's just spiralled from there. Where did it all go wrong? I recall the criticism from the outside was that he looked like he thought he'd made it and started getting too big for his boots, but is there any truth to that? Did he suffer as part of the team's general woes? Has he fallen out of love with the game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

The destruction of Alli's career has been weird to watch from the outside. He was at one point one of the most exciting attack-minded midfielders around, but he also had a physicality that allowed him to really tough it out in the middle of the pitch too. Then his form started to drop, pundits started getting on his back about his attitude and it's just spiralled from there. Where did it all go wrong? I recall the criticism from the outside was that he looked like he thought he'd made it and started getting too big for his boots, but is there any truth to that? Did he suffer as part of the team's general woes? Has he fallen out of love with the game?

 

There's some mentality issues there but I also think his development as a player hasn't been quite right for the skills he does have. His passing and pace really aren't good enough for someone who's supposed to be a midfielder, and without the likes of Eriksen and Poch-era Dembele around him that gets exposed much more often. I think he probably should have been moved into being a forward as his technique and goal instincts have always been good, but with Kane at the club I doubt that was ever seen as an option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, redbloodcel said:

 

There's some mentality issues there but I also think his development as a player hasn't been quite right for the skills he does have. His passing and pace really aren't good enough for someone who's supposed to be a midfielder, and without the likes of Eriksen and Poch-era Dembele around him that gets exposed much more often. I think he probably should have been moved into being a forward as his technique and goal instincts have always been good, but with Kane at the club I doubt that was ever seen as an option. 

He is always too slow with the ball now. I don't think I've ever seen a steeper decline in a player. He needs to leave and make a fresh start. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/12/2021 at 11:35, SaintAnselm said:

You can already see an improvement in our general play even after only 3 weeks under Conte, by the end the season and with a couple of new signings in January, we may well be fighting for fourth place.


If we win our game in hand we’ll be in there. The ball retention is still awful, but you can see they’re trying things that are not quite coming off, rather than aimlessly hoofing it long for Son to chase.

 

They’re also still passing backwards and putting our defenders under needless pressure too much.

 

Still need a bit more zip, but yes, they’re definitely starting to move in the right direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/12/2021 at 17:19, Stoppy2000 said:

You can see teams immediately press when Sanchez gets the ball. He's useless in possession. 


He’s not helped by the midfield constantly turning round and passing back to him and putting him under pressure. I was amazed the other day how often I saw Hojbjerg and Kane pointing backwards as soon as anyone in midfield got the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Jammy said:


He’s not helped by the midfield constantly turning round and passing back to him and putting him under pressure. I was amazed the other day how often I saw Hojbjerg and Kane pointing backwards as soon as anyone in midfield got the ball.

He might be under even more pressure when we field a 9 man team tomorrow. I hope we forfeit and just leave that stupid competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, meatbin said:

I'd imagine the Brighton game will be off, and perhaps too the Leicester one on the 16th.

 

Meaning our next game could be Liverpool on the 19th! 😐

Who knows. I hope we have forfeited the conference league though. Last thing we need is that fixture stuck in the middle of a busy league period. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Who knows. I hope we have forfeited the conference league though. Last thing we need is that fixture stuck in the middle of a busy league period. 

 

Completely agree, but I think we'd have known about that already if we had forfeited. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Brilliant game yesterday, excellent entertainment and Conte is clearly making the players 'better'. Davies, Dier have been great all season, and Winks and Dele had good performances yesterday.

 

Looking forward to Wednesday's game, be nice to bring down West Ham down a peg or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another good result. Shame we conceded due to a stupid mistake but good to immediately hit back. Should have been wrapped up in the second half if Son had his shooting boots on. 

Has to be said that Lloris made one outstanding save. I think he'll be tough to replace when the time comes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.