The Spurs Thread

4 hours ago, Jammy said:

I’m surprised he’s allowed to play in the EPL to be honest, if he’s not allowed in Italy, but if he is, then great :)

There's a specific law so he's banned from playing in Italy.

No such law exists in the UK but whether a team would want to take the risk anyway is something we'll find out soon.

2 hours ago, Smoothy said:

There's a specific law so he's banned from playing in Italy.

No such law exists in the UK but whether a team would want to take the risk anyway is something we'll find out soon.

I saw an interview with him the other day where he said the doctors have told him there’s zero chance of it ever happening again. Not sure if that was because it was a freak occurence, or because he now has the defibrillator fitted though.

Weird how two really high profile players have had heart problems so soon after leaving English clubs which have had very thorough yearly screenings for these types of issues since Fabrice Muamba’s heart attack, and had never detected any problems in either player, and the same goes with them passing medicals for two very big clubs.

15 hours ago, Jammy said:

I saw an interview with him the other day where he said the doctors have told him there’s zero chance of it ever happening again. Not sure if that was because it was a freak occurence, or because he now has the defibrillator fitted though.

Weird how two really high profile players have had heart problems so soon after leaving English clubs which have had very thorough yearly screenings for these types of issues since Fabrice Muamba’s heart attack, and had never detected any problems in either player, and the same goes with them passing medicals for two very big clubs.

Heart problems - it's just a numbers game isn't it? We could go for years without any issue now. I think it's just a roll of the dice. The screening will find any pre-existing conditions but you'll always have those freak moments.

It’s pretty poor from them, considering they knew four of their players would be missing due to AFCON, and then they let two senior players leave on loan. They have one player out due to covid, and four injuries; exactly the same number of both as Spurs do. Still fuming at the injustice of Lasagnegate when Dein took the call asking for a postponement.

On the positive side, we should have our first choice back four, plus Son, along with a few more weeks of Conte’s coaching and whatever signings are made this month, available for the rearranged fixture.

Quite a strong statement from the club tonight too.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2022/january/club-statement-spurs-v-arsenal/?fbclid=IwAR2Tm0qPK9xpFo6kgSRcGzO3DwseFLxhbghl7KBQvMXWNawmjBKajYX4T6k

8 hours ago, redbloodcel said:

Conte has been talking up Bergwijn as a striker, hopefully he can take confidence from this and really kick on. 

That would be so so welcome.  We clearly need more threat in the final third.

Bring on, ahem, Chelsea Sunday! 

Good result that - I was keeping tabs on the game while out with a mate, and saw that we’d been very unlucky/profligate in front with our chances. I said “This is one of those games which is tailor-made for a sucker punch goal” and sure enough we conceded that jammy deflection immediately afterward. Wasn’t expecting the real sucker to come from us :)

I imagine Conte would've discussed this transfer window as part of his negotiations before joining and was okay with whatever he was told (which perhaps was "Nothing in January, spend big in the Sumner".) I doubt whatever is happening now is in any way a surprise to him. 

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

I imagine Conte would've discussed this transfer window as part of his negotiations before joining and was okay with whatever he was told (which perhaps was "Nothing in January, spend big in the Sumner".) I doubt whatever is happening now is in any way a surprise to him. 

He might be a little surprised at just how shit some of the players really are though. Lo Celso and Ndombele - I'm looking at you. 

He might e been told to work with the team until the end of the season to see which poor performers he could turn around/which definitely have to go, then the club would have a clear picture of what is needed for next season. That might also be tied to where you finish this year.

He’s spoken in interviews about how difficult the January window is for getting anyone ‘big’, so I don’t think he’ll be that bothered about this window. But they will have to back him properly in the summer or he’ll walk.