IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

Ali was great, part of the Poch era that was so exciting to watch and ultimately killed by lack of investment - such a shame that so many players and gone but you look at Liverpool who we were better than until they pumped 200m in for the final pieces and we did nothing and are now on another rebuild :( 

He's been so crap for so long that seeing his old highlights on YouTube make it seem like a different player. 

At least he had some though - Lo Celso has done nothing of any note that I can recall in his entire stay. 

Have to say that is a pretty good transfer window. Shipping out 3 dead wood players who were doing nothing except enraging me every time I saw them. Admittedly we barely saw them anyway. 

I bet the medical team will miss Lo Celso. 

Yeah assuming we can move Le Celso and Ndombele on in the summer, this paves a way for some bigger / quality signings in the summer.

Obviously we know nothing about the dressing room dynamics, but getting rid of Dele, LC, Ndom will surely only bring a better mood to the camp.

Gil is still a very strange signing - I wonder what will actually come of him... I have a feeling we bought him as a future star that we can sell for profit, rather than someone who will be in the team for the next 7 years or so. 

Romero coming back from injury now feels like a new signing again.

56 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Obviously we know nothing about the dressing room dynamics, but getting rid of Dele, LC, Ndom will surely only bring a better mood to the camp.

I would imagine people will miss Dele as he's been there for so long and was good mates with a number of players, I saw somewhere Lo Celso was pretty unpopular though. 

4 hours ago, Angles Morts said:

Please tell me you have stiffed the MK Franchise on Dele's sell-on fee!

The transfer fee was zero as far as I can tell; it seems to be all bonus-driven up to £40m.

Romero back and looking good, Kane scoring, Sonny making driving runs, Royal had a good game, Sanchez looks like a different player. Bentancur looks to have that great habit of popping up in the right place at the right time, and Vulu would already have an assist if his layoff had been to Kane or Son rather than Bergwijn. A bit more composure needed from the team in general as they still give the ball away carelessly, but overall a nice performance. If Levy doesn’t back Conte in the summer he needs a good slapping. What a difference he’s made.

17 hours ago, Jammy said:

Romero back and looking good, Kane scoring, Sonny making driving runs, Royal had a good game, Sanchez looks like a different player. Bentancur looks to have that great habit of popping up in the right place at the right time, and Vulu would already have an assist if his layoff had been to Kane or Son rather than Bergwijn. A bit more composure needed from the team in general as they still give the ball away carelessly, but overall a nice performance. If Levy doesn’t back Conte in the summer he needs a good slapping. What a difference he’s made.

Agree with all of this. Just hope we do back him in the summer. Getting top 4 should help with that.

I think it's going to be difficult to see a 'full backing' if we don't make Champions League.

Without CL, we can mostly only attract a lower class player than with, and Levy will be wise to not spunking a load of cash on unproven or risky players.  

Never been more important to get top 4, if we do I think Levy spends and Conte stays for much longer.

By all accounts Spurs matched Liverpool's offer for Diaz down to the pound, just player preference unfortunately. I don't think Levy has been particularly stingy, it's just difficult to find players with the balance of quality vs being happy to play outside the Champions League. 

Which brings us to our next discussion point; Pierre-Emil Hojbjerg. He was the right player at the right time when our defence was so under seige, but this season with us being a bit more attack-minded I’ve seen a lot of limitations in his game. His passing is sloppy or just the easy ball backwards, and he often gets caught in possession looking for fouls. Bentancur showed better positioning, footwork and forward passing in 15 minutes than I’ve seen from PEH all season. 

So, upgrade in the summer if we can ?

11 hours ago, Jammy said:

Which brings us to our next discussion point; Pierre-Emil Hojbjerg. He was the right player at the right time when our defence was so under seige, but this season with us being a bit more attack-minded I’ve seen a lot of limitations in his game. His passing is sloppy or just the easy ball backwards, and he often gets caught in possession looking for fouls. Bentancur showed better positioning, footwork and forward passing in 15 minutes than I’ve seen from PEH all season. 

So, upgrade in the summer if we can ?

I fucking hope so, PEH is decent but let’s face it, he wouldn’t get near the team when we were challenging for the title for 2 seasons. I would play Skipp before him if I am being honest.

I wouldn't be so quick to replace him, especially short-term. He may not be the absolute best but he offers a degree of leadership there that nobody else really does, and that's an important element. It is unfortunate for Skipp as he's done nothing really wrong, though. 

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Moussa Dembele announced his retirement at the end of this season today. Best midfielder we’ve had since Gazza, and so far, it seems. irreplaceable.

Modric was perhaps better, but Moussa is definitely up there with him.

11 hours ago, Jammy said:

Fuming. Hojbjerg and Winks were fucking useless, and so was Royal.

Royal really was bad. Bentancur needs to start next game. Or we hope Skipp is back. Bit worried that kulusevski looks to be slower than I am... hopefully he just needs some Conte training. 

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Royal really was bad. Bentancur needs to start next game. Or we hope Skipp is back. Bit worried that kulusevski looks to be slower than I am... hopefully he just needs some Conte training. 

From what my mate (an Italian Juve fanatic) says, he’s not that quick, but has excellent feet and is devastating coming in off the right wing onto his left foot. I think Conte made an error last night taking Lucas off just after he set up Son’s goal. He was suddenly flying, and to bring on someone cold with the game as high-octane as it was at the time, I think we lost a lot of impetus with the substitution.

The big problem last night was that we reverted to Mourinho-ball; get a goal in front playing attacking football, then retreat and try and hold on. Winks was just floating about rather than getting out to Ward-Prowse, and with no pressure he put in two perfect crosses. And when our defenders are put under that much pressure we know from last season that they eventually crack when the midfield aren’t doing their jobs.

Hojbjerg, even though he assisted for the own goal, was infuriating. Gave the ball away constantly, or stopped and passed backwards when we were on the attack. His first reaction to receiving a pass is to ping it back where it came from first time, never to turn and look upfield. Bentancur is refreshing because when he received the ball he’ll actually turn and try and play forward. Sprayed some very nice passes around, but eventually got mired in the shit because Winks was flapping about not doing anything.

Last nights game is the kind of result we will have for a while, new players and players coming back from injury against a team fighting for survival - we could equally go out and beat Man City in a few weeks time…

The positives are we are starting to get a team back with some quality added and a world class manager in charge, January was never going to change much this season so I think we did good business and more importantly prep for next season / transfer window.