IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

50 minutes ago, Swallow said:

If Southampton, in tenth, are "fighting for survival" then so is virtually every team in the Premier League.

Before last night they were on 25 points and played lots more games than those around them, id say only Wolves upwards are safe and while Southampton have good points on the board they are not safe yet esp with the games they have come up.

Don't really know what to say after today's game, apart from this system just doesn't seem to be working. We keep getting battered in midfield, and our wingbacks just don't have enough threat. 

City next. 

10 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Any particular reason for that odd lineup today? Resting players?

Not sure what’s going on there at the moment. Is Conte trying to prove how shit the squad is or something ? It was only a matter of time before his press conferences where he says Spurs have bought garbage for the last few years - which is absolutely correct - got to the players. If it’s an attempt at reverse psychology that’s worked elsewhere, he should have realised this lot haven’t got what it takes mentally to prove him wrong.

17 hours ago, Jammy said:

How come we were pretty solid for the three months our best CB was out, and as soon as he’s come back we’ve looked a shambles again ?!?

Losing Dier from the back has thrown the balance off, which really shows how much better he's been since Conte arrived.

That midfield was odd though, can only imagine that Hojbjerg was also nursing a knock as throwing Winks in there with a still adjusting Bentancur was always going to be a problem. 

Hojbjerg was very sloppy against Southampton, lots of bad passes and gave the ball away lots - I assumed that's why he'd be dropped.   I think the system expects too much from him, he's great at specific things, but is not a complete midfielder and we missed his tenacity today.   

Can't wait for Skipp and Dier to be available, only then can we start to see if we're any good or not. 

Yeah, I think Bentancur is now a starter, it’s just finding who his partner is going to be. I’m also not sure 3-5-2 is working with our wingbacks. 4-3-3 with Reguilon and ‘someone’ as fullbacks, with Bentancur, Skipp and Hojbjerg in midfield, and then perm 3 of 4 out of Kane, Son, Lucas and Kulusevski ? Hojbjerg under strict instructions to screen the defence and give the ball to Skipp or Bentancur and not try anything too clever.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Yeah, I think Bentancur is now a starter, it’s just finding who his partner is going to be. I’m also not sure 3-5-2 is working with our wingbacks. 4-3-3 with Reguilon and ‘someone’ as fullbacks, with Bentancur, Skipp and Hojbjerg in midfield, and then perm 3 of 4 out of Kane, Son, Lucas and Kulusevski ? Hojbjerg under strict instructions to screen the defence and give the ball to Skipp or Bentancur and not try anything too clever.

Good shout.  It seems Conte really wants to persist with the back three and wingbacks, but our wingbacks are just not proven enough for it to look any good right now.  

I understand that if the plan is to play the current system for the foreseeable future, we have to stick with it regardless of player quality/depth, but the football will likely suffer until we invest in the squad.

I know they want to gun for a top 4 place for financial reasons - but from a fan's perspective I'd rather they didn't go and then get knocked out early in a bigger embarrassment on the European stage.

Concentrate on winning the FA Cup...

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Well that was something…

What’s wrong with you lot in here?!? The United thread is always bouncing, good or bad when we play, I came to check in here and congratulate ….. dead 😳😳

21 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

What’s wrong with you lot in here?!? The United thread is always bouncing, good or bad when we play, I came to check in here and congratulate ….. dead 😳😳

I’m out at a friend’s, also a Spurs fan. We watched the game and were shouting a lot ! Some things…the ref seemed intent on playing for as long as City could equalise. Also, I still don’t think that was a penalty - his arm was within his silhouette and I think it was ball to hand at that distance. I didn’t think we would get the third, but our new boy put in a lovely cross for Kane. Shows what can happen when someone who can cross puts one in :) Now they need to do it on a wet Wednesday night at Burnley !

4 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I was at a family gathering, luckily my uncle and brother in law are Spurs fans so is all we talked about for a while - just put a quick comment in here, missed MOTD tho :(

3 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Typical Spurs. Pull a result out in Manchester against the league leaders and then follow up with a whimper to one of the bottom three.

To be fair, Burnley put on a decent Burnley display, and your lot probably burnt through all their reserves and then some in that fantastic game against city.

Your still one of only 4 managers to put the boot into a Pep side home & away in a season ;)

Very ominous interview with Conte last night. I’m hoping it’s just kidology for the players, but he’s the second manager after Mourinho to say that basically the players didn’t stick to the gameplan he wanted them to play, and I’m pretty sure Poch said the same thing the season he was sacked.

Watch the video - he clearly wants to leave

We could call him selfish, etc. but he's not the only manager to say similar things.  Once again it all points to Levy and his inability to get rid of the dead wood from the club.

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure I'm 100% behind Conte at this stage.  He was brought in to improve the existing players, and make us play better football. 

He knew exactly what he was getting into - the  squad, the league position, the upcoming January window.  We did acquire two good players in Jan, got rid of deadwood that Conte was not playing anyway, plus Conte himself said and accepted January was a really hard time to buy top players, especially when we're not in the CL.

He certainly has made the players play better football, and some of his tactics and playstyle have been great in some games.  But all of these rants about the team, and now himself, not being good enough is already tiring.  He's getting paid a fortune as a proven top coach, the results lie with him - Spurs have not been cursed, all of these recent lost games were winnable with the players we've got - Chelsea perhaps not so much, but then again we beat City.

I want him to flourish, and I want him to be backed in the summer, but the blame deflection he's giving in interviews is really annoying now.  

When Klopp came in, it was a similar situation as it is at Spurs.  Klopp was patient with the squad, and signed Mané in his second transfer window, Salah in his 4th, Van Dijk in his 5th.    If Conte can't deal with the potential shorterm run of bad results and squad-building then he's clearly in the wrong job and that's on him  

The way Conte deals with before, during and after football matches is unhealthy.  No wonder players just tune him out after a while, it must be impossible to work with that kind of drama.

So your Spurs got done over by my lot.  Yes we're in 18th and we deserve to be in 18th, but we've played Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs in four out of the last five games, got five points out of them and arguably were a little unlucky to not have three more.  More importantly, those four games have seen us concede two goals.  It was filthy, horrible weather to try and play Conte type counter-attacking football, the difference is the home side are used to that because our last three games were in those conditions.  Chuck in a small stadium on a night where the crowd are bang up for it and sensing blood - all that happened is that Tottenham got Burnley'd and that's what we do. Not the first, certainly won't be the last. 

It's a complete overreaction from the manager, which I think the media are happy to jump on.

6 hours ago, Plissken said:

The way Conte deals with before, during and after football matches is unhealthy.  No wonder players just tune him out after a while, it must be impossible to work with that kind of drama.

So your Spurs got done over by my lot.  Yes we're in 18th and we deserve to be in 18th, but we've played Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs in four out of the last five games, got five points out of them and arguably were a little unlucky to not have three more.  More importantly, those four games have seen us concede two goals.  It was filthy, horrible weather to try and play Conte type counter-attacking football, the difference is the home side are used to that because our last three games were in those conditions.  Chuck in a small stadium on a night where the crowd are bang up for it and sensing blood - all that happened is that Tottenham got Burnley'd and that's what we do. Not the first, certainly won't be the last. 

It's a complete overreaction from the manager, which I think the media are happy to jump on.

Jesus this place stinks of your farts all week after a Burnley win. You’re arguably the worst team in the league, of course Conte is gonna be upset losing to you!