IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

23 hours ago, redbloodcel said:

Scoring 4 goals is great and all, but it makes me pretty darn sad that it's the result that finally gets Bielsa sacked. 

A bad move for Leeds I think. Those players have been drilled to play Bielsa’s tactics for four years - going to be extremely difficult for someone else to get them playing a different way quickly enough to make a difference.

Just zero consistency. We still lack anything from central midfield. Bentancur might have been that player but had to get a customary spurs injury. He'll probably fulfill the Lamela/Lo Celso role and be permanently half fit. 

Bloody hell. 

Phhhh.  Don't really know what to say or think anymore. 

Is it the players, is it the formation, is it the tactics? 

Playing a back three against 'lower rated' teams simply doesn't work.  It's fine against open teams (Liverpool, City, Leeds), but otherwise we look quite blunt.

It's worth noting that Emerson Royal might be one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us. We were noticeably worse when Doherty went off!?! Son also had one of his games where every dribble he attempted failed. Winks reverted to his 'only pass backwards' mode. Garbage. 

Kane and Son are going to be burnt out once again this season.  This is the perfect sort of game where you play your backup striker and attacker, with Son and Kane on the bench if needed.  Of course, we don't have those players, again.

They’re having to run back and get the ball so much because our current midfield pairing is devoid of any sort of speed of thought or action, and too scared to turn with the ball when they receive it from the defenders. Hojbjerg and Winks’ first instinct is to ping the ball back first time to whoever passed it to them, whether they’re under pressure or not. Their second instinct is to stop running, dither on the ball for long enough that the opposition get men back in position, and then have to pass sideways or backwards because the chance of a forward ball has now gone. Hojbjerg is fine with a role limited to screening the defence and breaking up play, but neither he nor Winks have the abilities to play further up the field. Winks’ stats for Tuesday were awful; offered nothing going forward, and nothing in defence. How can a central midfielder not make any tackles ?!?

3089F411-FFBA-4B34-8CFC-51503F82BCE6.jpeg

Great stuff tonight. Everton made it ridiculously easy though. Good to see no Winks in the team. Both wing backs seemed up for it as well. Really it should have been 4-0 before half time - Son had two great chances. I never minded Everton before but now they have Lampard in charge I really hope they go down.

8 hours ago, Jammy said:

Was a nice birthday present from the team. They need to take that confidence up to Old Trafford now - can’t afford any more slip ups.

Neither can they which means it’ll be 0-0.  You also have a small psychological advantage as Conte was who most Man Utd fans wanted. 

5 hours ago, redbloodcel said:

Same Hamstring again, he probably needs an extended rest to let it properly heal rather than getting rushed back. 

I'd sooner he enjoys that rest at another club. He's not looked anything special when he has played. Against Everton he gave the ball away loads of times in daft positions where a good team might have taken advantage. If Reguilon goes then we need a definite quality starting LWB. Sessegnon isn't that. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

We should have won by at least 5 today and apart from their goal West Ham did nothing all game. I don’t think I can even recall hearing Eric Dier’s name being called at all.

Yeah I don't think I noticed him until they scored their goal. Even that was down to a daft mistake by Doherty. Good performance. Nice to not be the team who is knackered from Thursday night football for a change. Bentancur was quality as well. 

48 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Yeah I don't think I noticed him until they scored their goal. Even that was down to a daft mistake by Doherty. Good performance. Nice to not be the team who is knackered from Thursday night football for a change. Bentancur was quality as well. 

Sonny lost his man for their goal, but we’ll let him off this week.

Fairly easy win, should have got a few more and very soft goal from an unforced error, not much change - West Ham were understandably below par.

Still, good to get back to back wins - hat trick is possible but probably rather not play Newcastle as they have been a bit lucky against us of late.

52 minutes ago, meatbin said:

If we win every game from now and get a better GD than Arsenal (currently 2 behind) then 4th is ours! 

I’m not confident 😄

I know they’re saying Arsenal have the harder run-in, but Spurs have plenty of ‘danger’ games left, and although we now have 4 wins out of the last 5 in the league, you could see us losing or drawing any of those games and not be surprised.

2 hours ago, meatbin said:

If we win every game from now and get a better GD than Arsenal (currently 2 behind) then 4th is ours! 

Thats not right is it? They have a game in hand so even if we beat them and win all our games they can lose to us, win all theirs and they are ahead?